Replacing DX's w/MM6500's

Wattsup
Wattsup Posts: 24
edited January 2005 in Car Audio & Electronics
I am thinking of replacing my DX3065's with MM6500's. The reason I am considering making the change is the DX's can't handle the wattage of my current system. Don't get me wrong, I love my DX's. However, having just blown one of the DX6510's for a second time out of the four years I have owned them, I realize it's just a matter of time before another brief moment of forgetfulleness on my part causes damage to yet another one.
Post edited by Wattsup on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited December 2004
    That's great about the new momos.(no sarcasm intended) Did you have a question in there?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2004
    What is causing them to blow? I have been installing here at Polk for over 4 years and have only had 1 or 2 mids stop working.
  • Wattsup
    edited December 2004
    Well, the amp I power them with is rated at 100 watt RMS @4 ohm loads, peak @230 watts @4 ohm. The DX3065's are the only speakers I have in my truck and I am sure that I am guilty of pushing the DX's beyond their peak wattage rating from time to time. However, the 6510 quit working when I forgot that I had reset my headunits HPF to "OFF" instead of where I sometimes will set it at 78 Hz bump up the the HU eQ 3 or 4 dB @ 62 Hz. It's a poor mans sub sonic filter. I do this for certain CD's that not only are bassy but also have a lot of dynamic range in the lower freq. With hopes that I am less likely to damage the DX's. via bass transients.
    Anyhow, I am assuming that it was a collection of 4 years of abuse and the fact that I forgot to lower the 62Hz and/or also that I had turned off the HPF earlier while listening to the radio. The volume level wasn't loud when the speaker quit. I heard the speaker make this very soft "Pfft" sound during a bass moment with a lot of d. range. When I tested the resistance of the speaker later on the meter shows close to full resistance @ 10 ohms. When I move the cone, at about 1/4 of it's travel, the speaker then gives a reading of 4 ohms. Which I also assume means a shorted or broken voice coil wire.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2004
    you probably just blew the tinsel lead off the cone or the terminal. if it blew off the terminal its an easy fix, just solder it back on.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Wattsup
    edited December 2004
    I wish it was the case. However, the leads appear to be well connected to the cone and terminal block. If I am correct in my assumtion, I am fairly certain I burned the voice coil. As I mentioned, I get full resistance when there is no pressure applied to the cone. Yet, 4 ohms when I apply pressure and move the cone slightly.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2004
    might want to check the leads still, one of mine on my momos didnt look it, but it had disconnected...a little solder and it was good as new
    -Cody
  • Wattsup
    edited December 2004
    Checked again...no broken leads. (sigh)...Darnit.
    I went out and purchased the MMC6500's. I can't help but feel like I betrayed my DX's. They've been really good to me and for a long time too. I plan on getting a replacement 6510 asap. I am considering adding the DX's to my system perhaps, if I can find a spot in my truck to place them. Though, I am a bit skeptic as to whether or not doing so would benefit me. As the DX's were once, the MM's are the only speakers I have installed. Other than adding a sub, I'm not really sure there is a need for more speakers. Plus, I am one who tends to subscribe to the theory that more is not necessarilly better. Besides, I have incredible sound stage. I'm concerned speakers placed behind me might tend to dissolve that some.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Yeah, rear speakers aint the best for SQ.

Dont look at it as betraying your DX's. Theyve served you well and now they get a well deserved retirement!

Good choice on the MMC6500's!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2004
    bud... if anybody knows about beating on DX components, its me.

I ran 200+ x 2 rms to my dx components for about a year (i think? - i lost track of time).

They sounded FABULOUS -- i mean, I really LOVED those components, damn nice stuff.... LOVED them.

But... alas... crossed over at about 70 hertz (12 db/octave high pass) I blew...

3 mid's ?
    1 tweet
    fried one crossover network... (nothing major - they're simple enough to put back together... it was probably physical abuse more than electrical, but anyway...)

so ya - if you can - and you really want to dump all that juice into them - go with the momo's.... they're nto as sensitive, but if you've got the power, you can pour it on and then some...

I mean, polk isn't going to endorse this - but common sense tells you that if you cross it over properly, and you take care of what music you're playing... you should be able to dump about 25% over-wattage onto a speaker. Don't be stupid, but you know what i mean...

anyway - good luck boss...
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge
  • Wattsup
    edited January 2005
    Having replaced the DX's with MMC6500's I am considering using the DX's crossovers instead of those that came with the MMC's. The reason I am considering doing this is I am not real happy with the blending between the tweeters and the mid/woofs. When I installed just the MMC mid/woofs using the DX crossovers and tweeters the transition seemed smoother. Currently I have the MM tweeters mounted in (modified) DX tweeter ball cups placed on each of the front roof pillars. As such the tweeters are nearly 3 feet away from the mid/woofs. I am not real comfortable using the DX crossovers because I am not sure doing so is safe for the MMC's. Anyone have any suggestions?
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    only thing id be worried about it too much power going through the crossover, but if youre using the same amount of power, i dont see a problem
    -Cody
  • Wattsup
    edited January 2005
    Thanks for the advice Ex.
    You wouldn't happen to know why polk decided to use crossovers that are 2 nd order only for the MMC's would you? As opposed to being 1st order and 2 nd order. An option to use a 6 dB rolloff should be standard.
  • exalted512
    edited January 2005
    not a clue, they are biampable though, that might help you out if you try that....
    -Cody