RT5's

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Please forgive the ignorane in this question but here goes. I have 3 sets of RT5 speakers and upon setting them up in my new home one of the speakers midrange would not play. I switched speakers from other locations and all others played fine. I was told that it was the voicecoil in the mid and I should replace the mid. Is this the case??? The tweeter still plays fine but no mid. All the wiring is okay. What to do???
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2004
    if you just moved them it should not be a blown voice coil. if you sure its not the wiring(have you made sure its not the channel on your receiver thats bad?) i would try checking the little wires that go from the terminal to the cone? that would make more sense than a bad voice coil. also, this is the car audio forum, you might have better troubleshooting luck if you go to the home theater side.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited December 2004
    I would take out the terminal on the back, check the crossover to make sure all is well...

Maybe even swap mids between your speakers...

Does your speaker make a crackling noise? If not, it sounds like a crossover... If you blew the woofer, you'd know it... It would sound you hadnt been to the bathroom in a REAL long time..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Its cool to have our own residential HT expert over on this side!

Good on ya Sid! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Its cool to have our own residential HT expert over on this side!

Good on ya Sid! ;)

waaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaa

Thanks... (if only he knew!) ;) waaaaa

The residential HT expert is jamming to 5 dollar computer speakers... I think its the whole random songs with 133 hours of it thats intriguing, the sound sucks..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Well at least you finally got some comp speakers! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • VR3
    edited December 2004
    So true!!!

A forum member hear gave me a new SC and a cable to connect my integrated to it... nice nice nice