2 channel or mono amp?

chevyshortbed88
chevyshortbed88 Posts: 12
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have heard that getting a 2 channel amp and bridging it can be just as good as a mono amp, unless you have a very good, expensive system. so, say I got a 2 channel amp and bridged it for 400 watt rms and got a mono amp rated at 400 watt rms. Would thier be any diffrences in the sound? What would you guys recommend? Thanks!
When in dout gas it
Post edited by chevyshortbed88 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Stereo amps generally have less distortion but for subs you wouldnt be able to tell the difference. So basically, no there is no difference.

Mono amps are ususally smaller for the same power and run cooler. But theyre also usually more expensive.

I run a 2 channel bridged because a 300 watt Crossfire 2 channel is $300. A 300 watt Crossfire mono amp is $400.

If however youre wanting to run multiple subs then perhaps a mono amp is the best as they can work in 2 ohm mono whereas most stereo amps cannot.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited December 2004
    Hi, everyone. I'm new to the group just reading for insight and new techniques.

Just wanted to comment on mono amps vs stereo amps. One thing to consider is the ohm rating of the subs, whether they are 2 ohm, 4ohm, 8ohm, DVC etc......... most stereo amps are only bridgeable at 4ohms while mono amps tend to be 2ohm or even 1ohm stable. long story short

stereo amp
    bridgeable @4ohms
    1-4ohm spk, 2-8ohm spks, dvc etc.. etc...

*2-4ohms---not ok unless you don't like your amp or want to use the sevice plan
    have to hook it up in stereo but that's no fun.

"happy bass hunting""
    :)
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by chevyshortbed88
    I have heard that getting a 2 channel amp and bridging it can be just as good as a mono amp, unless you have a very good, expensive system. so, say I got a 2 channel amp and bridged it for 400 watt rms and got a mono amp rated at 400 watt rms. Would thier be any diffrences in the sound? What would you guys recommend? Thanks!
    You will never hear any difference in sound quality, given that both amps truly put out the same RMS power. But, like the others have said, depending on the sub or subs you plan on using, that will make a difference.

Also, if you're going to get a big amp, you also need to consider the load you're putting on your alternator. Class D mono amps are more efficient, thus requiring less power from your charging system to achieve the same output.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2