I think this was posted before but, what was your first "system"?

Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,804
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I can't find that post.

So, my very first one was a cheap setup I got because my truck had no radio in it whatsoever.

The best thing I had was a pair of Polk Audio EX 402's.

I had:

Sanyo head unit (can't remember model number)
Polk Audio EX402's
A cheapy Kenphon amp from JC Whitney
Pair of Kenwood 8 inch subs

I shared that vehicle with my sister though so I didn't have much freedom with it.

When my sister got a new car and I was stuck with the beat up old truck, I put better stuff in it.

I had:

Kenwood KRC-302 cassette deck
Kenwood KDC-504 CD changer
Profile California Series CA-400XL stereo amp
Polk Audio EX402
Kicker Impulse 406i
Kenwood W3000 (pair, subs)

The HU was powering the Polks and Kickers and the Profile amp was a sub amp pushing the two Kenwoods in a ported box. The amp was a 400 watt amp and the head unit had about 140 watts of decent power. So I had a 540 watt stereo. Imaging was ok but it was loud and bright but it needed to be 'cause the truck wasn't quiet. It had good boom to it but it wasn't so great. Then again, it was all I could afford.

So that was my mediocre personal start. I had been playing around with friend's cars for several years before that though. That was just what I, myself, could afford for my car. Of course all my friends laughed at me and such but I didn't care.

So what was your first?
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited December 2004
    My first system was/is my current one. I started late in the game, but now I'm pretty well hooked. I always wanted a system in high school, but it was hard to justify putting anything in my car that was worth more than the car itself. I had a 1986 Mazda 626. Putting in a $1000 system would have tripled its value! In my Mustang, I started with my Alpine 9815 running my MM6's and dB650's. A few months later, once I could afford it, I added my HiFonics Zeus ZX6400. Now I've got the trunk deadened and ready for my Koda 12, as soon as Adire releases it... then I'll be done :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2004
    Sony HU
    (2) 8" Pioneer subs in a semi-sealed box
    Majestic 400 watt amp.
    Single 4" dash speaker that came with the '68 Bug
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2004
    JVC kd-sx750 head unit
    polk mm6 components
    2 polk mm120s
    RF 500.2 for the components, RF bd1000 for the subs
    kenwood excelon 4x6s in the back
    i saved since i was 13...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited December 2004
    Alpine HU... forget what model some lowline stuff
    GXR 6x9's
    GXR 4x6's
    Massive Audio 12" (yea baby)
    Jensen amp!!!

that lasted one day, I bought an RF amp (the jensen and sub were free!)

then I bought my c500.1 and 2x mm2124's...

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    86 Ford Ranger 1989

- Pioneer cassette player
    - MTX Road Thunder boxes (1 8" sub and 1 piezo tweeter) behind seats
    - Pioneer 50x2 amp

88 Olds Cutlass Calais 1992

- Kenwood CD player
    - Kenwood 3.5 in dash
    - Kenwood 6x9 in rear deck
    - 2 MTX Terminator 12's
    - 2 Coustic 160's 30x2
    - Coustic 460 60x2
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited December 2004
    78' Olds Delta 88

had a Rodek Hu
    Majestic power booster/EQ (AKA- distortion maker)
    Alpine 5.25 plate speakers front
    2 sets of some kind of 6x9's rear...dont even remember what kind? this was like 82/83 or so

First real system was all Fijitsu-Ten gear
    Hu, EQ, 5.25 front, 6x9 rear, 40w amp and the "super woofer" wich was 2 4" subs in a funky "top" mount enclosure" - fired into the trunk! P>O>S...lol 85'
  • GZ
    GZ Posts: 343
    edited December 2004
    Would you guys believe a Learjet 8 track player and a pair of Jensen 6X9 3-ways.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2004
    whats an 8-track?
    kidding!!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MortySnerd
    MortySnerd Posts: 5
    edited December 2004
    I had the best system of all time. High school, circa 1997 or so..... the ride was a 1989 Ford Tempo GL sedan that leaked its entire contents of oil about every 2 months or so (made going to get the oil "changed" a lot more worth while hehe) But, of course, I had to have tunes, so I had loaded her with:

- An entry-level model Kenwood TAPE deck head unit
    - Four entry-level Infinity reference speakers (no components)
    - No amplifiers, subs, or anything extra whatsoever. Head unit power baby!

Considering the stock system this replaced, I felt like I had a mobile concert hall.

-Mike
  • PolkThug
    PolkThug Posts: 7,532
    edited December 2004
    Clarion knobber with tape track search. Hey, in '87 it was the ****.
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited December 2004
    I remember my Dad's 8-track...it was an add on...put it where the ashtray was in the cutlass...

I remember my bro had a pioneer radio- pioneer 5.25's in front and 6x9's rear. No amps. then when they came out- he put a tape player- underdash in...that was great! Was rockin sysetm..lol
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by PolkThug
    Clarion knobber with tape track search. Hey, in '87 it was the ****.

Oh yeah! I remember those "track search" features. I even had a Clarion after my Pioneer died on me. As I recall it worked pretty well too. LOL Id forgotten all about that!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • twochannel
    twochannel Posts: 171
    edited December 2004
    1980 Cougar Xr-7
    Pioneer Supertuner AM/FM 8-track that was a direct replacement for the stock radio. Jensen 6x9's and 3 1/2" coaxes and a Rat Shack powered EQ with LOTS OF DISTORTION. Thats just about the best at the time until Alpine came along.
  • PoweredByDodge
    PoweredByDodge Posts: 4,185
    edited December 2004
    1988 Dodge Ram D-150 2 wheel drive, midnight blue / pearl coat - twilight blue pin stripe.

- Kenwood KDC-S3009 Headunit
    - 4 Pioneer TS-??? 6x9's (off deck power) mounted in a twin chamber box behind the bench seat and "ghetto" ported.

This was very quickly updated to the same headunit with Polk Audio DB series 6 x 9's (4 each) and an Optimus 400XL (65 x 4 at 4 ohms rms stereo).

I LOVED IT...

and with the rebuild of the newly aquired 88 power wagon LE, (same everything cept its a 4x4)... I'll be building a system on the same principle but with the PIMPEST gear... haven't designed yet, but....

- Sweet DVD player alpine head with all the goodies (yes i'm blowin the bank on it - already have 10 grand in the truck - will have another 15 in it before i'm done - so 5 on audio is no problem)
    - 4 Polk Momo 6x9's
    - Mtx 100 x 4 rms stereo amp. (haven't picked one yet - they've got a 125 x 4 i think -- I gotta get back into the game!)
    - MAYBE - MAYBE.... a single 10" sub (polk 'baby' momo carbon 10" off like an MTX 501 (302/8302/ whatever).
    The Artist formerly known as PoweredByDodge