RT12B's??

Options
Toxis
Toxis Posts: 5,116
edited January 2005 in Vintage Speakers
I was just at an old stereo repair shop and found a pair of these speakers. Now I can't seem to find much if any information here about them using the search so I figured I'd just go ahead and ask. What do you guys know about them? They had a crossover mounted externally (on top with the tweeter and had a grill box to cover all) and had dual mids with a 12" passive radiator. Looked to be in good shape. He wanted $470/pr. I thought that was a bit high but I wasn't sure if they were similar to the SDA's or not. I kinda doubt it but thought I'd ask...
Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
Post edited by Toxis on

Comments

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2004
    Options
    From the RTA series, model 12b.

The tweeter was mounted on top, with it's voicecoil in-line (vertically) with the mid-woofs vc's, ala 'time aligned'.

12" passive radiator rounded out the low-end.

Great speakers, but usually fetch $200-$250 on the used market.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Great speaker, a true example of the Real Time Array(RTA) unlike the rest of the line.

He must be smoking crack to ask that price. Even beyond MINT, with original everything, you'd never get that price from anybody but a moron.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Toxis
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Got any stats on them? I might pick them up if he will go $250.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.
  • dorokusai
    edited December 2004
    Options
    T- What do you need to know aside from what has already been mentioned by Russman?

It's a SOLID buy @250, regardless of specs. It's a great set.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Toxis
    edited December 2004
    Options
    does anyone have any experience with them? What would you compare them to? How would you describe the sound?

Stat wise, power handling/recommendation (seeing it's an older speaker, I don't know what to put to it), frequency response, impedence... any other quorks like the SDA's that need an extra cable.

• dorokusai
    edited December 2004
    Options
    No special needs.

I have owned a couple pairs of RTA12C's....essentially the same animal. They define the RTA line, open and airy....they present a wider soundstage than a typical speaker. Excellent clarity, tho' a little sharp for me personally.

Power? 550wpc worked well for me.

Spec's(12C):

500 wpc (I believe this to be a bloated figure, but that's what my paperwork states...they are real efficient so much lower power would work just fine.)
    4 Ohm
    92db @ 1w
    17hz-26K
  • canduh
    canduh Posts: 1
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I "think" I have a pair of 12B's that I've bought slightly used about 15 years ago. I joined the forum to try and figure out what they were and to see if anyone is interested in a real deal since they're just gathering dust.

They play great and are in pretty good shape (the cloth on the top of the tweeter cover is a bit worn).

Given their weight, I don't think they're ship-able. Any takers, let me know and I'll send pictures, etc.

(Oh yeah, I'm in metro-Detroit)
  • krimney
    krimney Posts: 44
    edited January 2005
    Options
    I have a set of 12C I'd let go for considerably less. I'm just waiting for a local buyer because I won't ship them. If he'd drop to 200-300 then maybe...
    So many speakers, so little time..