MMC magnet covers

PolkThug
PolkThug Posts: 7,532
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
When installing these speakers in doors and trunklids, do you take off the magnet covers? It seems to me like they would eventually come loose. Anybody try a little glue?

Thanks,
PolkThug
Post edited by PolkThug on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Ive had my MMC covers on for the year+ Ive had em installed in my doors and theyve had no trouble.

They stick em on there for looks I recon but make em removable if you need the extra clearance.

If youve got the room, Id say leave em on. They shouldnt come off. Mine havent and theyre mounted in my doors!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • maltesechicken
    maltesechicken Posts: 32
    edited December 2004
    I think those might also prevent speaker damage.

I had ex502a coaxials in my door. After 3 years, the driver side mid-woofer stopped working. The cone was seized. When I took it out to inspect it I found the problem:

The rear plate of the magnet (which is also the pole piece) came unglued because of moisture. Then, with the glue undone, the back plate shifted, jamming the pole piece into the voice coil seizing the speaker. The magnet cap could prevent moisture from getting in there and undoing the glue.

This incident did make me suspect of Polk's QC, but I replaced them with ex3550s anyway.
  • kwade89
    kwade89 Posts: 77
    edited December 2004
    how do you know that they are still on your magnet if they are mounted in your doors.... humm you will never no, lol

huh, sorry bout that other post down there i dont really know what happen there...
    Kaleb Wade

-00' Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 1500

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx

• kwade89
    kwade89 Posts: 77
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Ive had my MMC covers on for the year+ Ive had em installed in my doors and theyve had no trouble.

They stick em on there for looks I recon but make em removable if you need the extra clearance.

If youve got the room, Id say leave em on. They shouldnt come off. Mine havent and theyre mounted in my doors!

how do you know that they are still on your magnet if they are mounted in your doors.... humm you will never no, lol
    Kaleb Wade

-00' Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 1500

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Well Im too cheap to buy enough dynamat at one time to dampen my doors so I buy the speaker kits one or two at a time and dampen then inside of my door so Ive had those speakers out of there a hundred times.

Not to mention the terminals kept getting caught by the window gear and would unplug the speaker whenever I rolled my window down! LOL
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D