New to polk forums: db series or momo?

MortySnerd
MortySnerd Posts: 5
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just lost my last Camry to an accident, and I just bought another, and it's time to put the stereo back in, with a few upgrades of course!

I used to have Polk EX series speakers in my last Camry. 6-1/2" / 1" components in the front and 6x9 three-ways in the rear. These sounded pretty good to me - no complaints really, except that the rear speakers sounded much better than the front speakers for some reason. (speakers were professionally installed)

I've been advised that the polk momo series speakers sound much better than my EX's, even in the front. However, my amp is a 4 channel amp supplying only 37.5 watts RMS per channel, and I've been told the momo's are pretty power hungry.

I am looking for superb sound quality that will last the 6-7 years I plan to own this car, and I am willing to make an investment in my speakers IF it is worth it. Given my smallish amp, which I can't upgrade for a while, should I splurge for the momo's or will the DB series give me the excellent SQ I am looking for? Thanks!
Post edited by MortySnerd on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    Is that an MTX amp? If it is you can rest arrured its a whole lot more than 37.5

The Momos are Polks top of the line for now and they do sound better than the DB's and youll get a better crossover with the MMC6500.

Here is what I would suggest.

Forget rear speakers. Dont need em.

Get the MMC6500 and bi-amp them. In other words, use the amps front channels for the tweeters and the rear channels for the mids. This will be at least 75 watts per channel which would be perfect.

This will also allow you a lot more flexibility in tuning the output of your tweeters.

I think you would like this setup a lot more.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Is that an MTX amp? If it is you can rest arrured its a whole lot more than 37.5

This will be at least 75 watts per channel which would be perfect.

i have no clue where the mtx amp part and the 75wpc came from mac?!?! :confused:

However i do agree with him on some parts...

I have a couple questions and i'm going to make my general suggestion as well...

1. why can you not replace the amp for now?
    2. if the speaker price was kept low could you afford to replace the amp?
    3. What is you head unit?

ok, now here's my suggestion for a good daily driver system that isn't gonna break the bank but still sound very nice

Head unit (depending on what you already have) Pioneer DEHP4600MP this retails at about 200 but you can probably pick it up on sale for a little less, it's a sturdy and good sounding HU that can play all your popular MP3 formats as well.

Speakers: Polk Audio MM6 component set from cardomain.com for 160, this was the predicessor to the MMC6500 comp set and is everybit as good if not better, this is clerance so that's why it's going for about half it's retail price.

Amp: Profile has 3 good sturdy amps that put out 80x4, one from each of their series, you can check them out at www.profileusa.com, these will run you somewhere around 120-130ish and will give you good clean power for the price. like mac said you'll want to bi-amp them for the best sound quality, have the rear channel on the amp run the woofers, and the front channel will run through the crossover (that comes with the MM6) to the tweeter.

if you don't have wiring yet i'd reccomend this all-inclusive kit from www.knukonceptz.com Kolak44 It has all the wiring you'll need including 4ch rca's and it only costs $36 + shipping

all told you're looking at a very nice sounding system for under $550 which is only about 250 more than you were looking to spend on speakers alone.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by Joelsbass
    i have no clue where the mtx amp part and the 75wpc came from mac?!?! :confused:

MTX and Kicker are the only companies I know of that have 4 channel amps rated at 37.5 x4. It was a guess.

If he bi-amped a set of MMC6500 then he would have 37.5 to each tweet and 37.5 to each mid. Seeing as how each channel consists of one tweet and one mid, he would have 75 watts per channel.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    edited December 2004
    well with the age of the system there could have been other companies with those power ratings back then...

also i thought you were saying 75wpc @ 4 channels... that's where the confusion set in :p

• MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Im sure there are other amps out there with a 37.5 x4 rating.....thats why I asked if it was an MTX rather than stated that it was! :p

Actually I think thats kind of a stupid rating. Alpine rates one of its V12 amps at 35x4. I know ratings arent that important but most newbies that dont know squat would bypass this awesome amp just cause its power ratings were too low.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I know ratings arent that important but most newbies that dont know squat would bypass this awesome amp just cause its power ratings were too low.

I know I would!!!
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • MortySnerd
    MortySnerd Posts: 5
    edited December 2004
    Thanks for the suggestions, guys...

To answer a few questions, the amp in question is an older Rockford Fosgate 300X, producing 37.5 RMS to 4 channels at 4 ohms. I've never heard of bi-amping (I am pretty noob) but it sounds interesting.

I gave it some thought last night, and my new attitude is this: It's very easy to upgrade amps, it's a huge pain to upgrade speakers. I'm leaning towards the momo's, and perhaps I will buy a new full range amp down the line.

The biggest question I suppose I really had was "Are the momos better sounding than the DB's?" I've heard the momos in person and they are incredible, but no stores around me sell DB's.

Head unit is a Clarion DXZ845MP. I like this unit a lot.

Subs are a pair of older Elemental Designs 12" subs in a sealed box, powered by an Avionixx 800.2.
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2004
    I can definitely say that, while the db series speakers sound good, the Momo speakers are much better.

From what I know, you ought to be ok (at least for a while) with bi-amping some Momos with that amp.
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2004
    the momos do sound much better than the DBs. you can hear the db's at circuit city if you have one close by. you will be fine if you run em off that amp for a little while, but you will be surprised of the difference when you hook them up to a bigger amp. they will really come alive.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • audiobliss
    edited December 2004
    I believe he's saying the Momos will be fine on that amp.....but then, I may just be putting words in his mouth......:p
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Short versions:

Momos sound much better than DB.

Bi-amp the momos with that amp will work fine.

Get the MMC6500.

Dont use rear speakers.

• Joelsbass
    edited December 2004
    I still say get the MM6 (might need a little customizing during the install though) especially at the 160 you can get them for now