yamaha htr 5740 help

ohskigod
ohskigod Posts: 6,502
edited December 2004 in Electronics
my friend picked this reciever up, and i am helping him hook it up, problem is, all of his components (digital cable box and DVD player) have coaxial outputs only. problem 2 is, i hooked up his cable box via digital coax cable to the reciever's only coaxial input (which is labelled CD) and can only get 2 channel out of it (no dolby digital, even though i know the cable box is capable of it). i'm afraid that the coaxial is only capable of 2 channel because it is labelled as CD. are my fears correct, and can it be possible that there is no way to use dolby digital/dts with the yamaha reciever unless i have optical hookups? i'm having trouble swallowing that Yamaha would eliminate all customers with only digital coax outputs
Living Room 2 Channel -
Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites
Post edited by ohskigod on

Comments

• abenedicto
    abenedicto Posts: 55
    edited December 2004
    I have the same reciever with a digital cable box. I get full 5.1 from the coaxial input with no problems. Could be that something is not setup properly.
    think before you speak....peace always

Yamaha htr-5740
    Sony 222es (sacd/cd)
    Velodyne CT-10 (sub)
    JVC 48WP74 (HDTV)
  • fireshoes
    fireshoes Posts: 3,167
    edited December 2004
    I agree that it is something in the setup, probably on the cable box. Who is the manufacturer of the cable box? Also the digital coax input can be reassigned to another input (i.e DTV). Go into the setup menu, then I/O Assign. The coax input will have a number next to it on the back on the receiver. Just match that number in the menu to the Input you want.
  • Willow
    Willow Posts: 10,961
    edited December 2004
    I don't think you will get 5.1 out of reg tv, maybe PPV, I have my yammy hooked up to digcable, the sound is clear and clean and louder but not 5.1
  • ohskigod
    ohskigod Posts: 6,502
    edited December 2004
    got the problem solved. I reasigned the input (as fireshoes mentioned) and this resolved the problem. Now reads dolby digital (of course not every channel, only if it is broadcast in DD) apparently when the coax was set as a CD player input, it would not do this.

in short problem solved. someone on the Home theater Forum gave me a heads up on the reassignment of the inputs, so i solved the problem pretty quick. thanx for the responses guys :)
    Living Room 2 Channel -
    Schiit SYS Passive Pre. Jolida CD player. Songbird streamer. California Audio Labs Sigma II DAC, DIY 300as1/a1 Ice modules Class D amp. LSi15 with MM842 woofer upgrade, Nordost Blue Heaven and Unity interconnects.

Upstairs 2 Channel Rig -
    Prometheus Ref. TVC passive pre, SAE A-205 Amp, Wiim pro streamer and Topping E50 DAC, California Audio Labs DX1 CD player, Von Schweikert VR3.5 speakers.

Studio Rig - Scarlett 18i20(Gen3) DAW, Mac Mini, Aiyma A07 Max (BridgedX2), Totem Mites