speaker cabinet repair

Options
brucechang
brucechang Posts: 4
edited February 2002 in Technical/Setup
So I just recently bought a pair of RT2000p's and they got damaged during delivery.. Basically the top corners are all damaged and some of the sides are dinged. Does anyone know what someone woudl charge to get this fixed? UPS has validated the claim to get it repaired so I'm trying to get an estimate on the repairs. I called one guy on the phone and said the cheapest he could see a repair like this would be $375 for just the cosmetic dings and scratches to the cabinet. The power port bases were damaged as well. Thanks to anyone in advance.

-Bruce
Post edited by brucechang on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Black would be easier to repair than the lighter wood tones. But, repairing edges of the veneer would be tough.
    If the power ports are messed up, it's more than cosmetic.
    Why deal with the hassel of trying to find a reputable repair shop? waiting, waiting...
    Have them get you a new pair.

-luc
  • brucechang
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Yes, they're black.. and the power port damage is just the fiberglass bases.. 4 screws on the bottom of the bases and the base comes right off.. The replacement is $36 from polk.. UPS will not get me new speakers considering I bought these speakers off a seller on ebay.. I paid $800 for them plus $60 for shipping.. I have two choices, UPS can pay me $800 for the damages and take the speakers or I can get them repaired and they'll reimburse me for that cost. Of course if the repair is more than $800, they'll only give me $800 and take the speakers back. So does anyone have an idea on how much it would cost? Thanks.

-Bruce
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    Options
    if you dont mind the dammage take the money and run you can get a new set of surounds maybe. what they do is strip off the lamit and fix the mdfb then re skin te cabinets
  • brucechang
    edited February 2002
    Options
    That was kinda my plan, to just collect the money and not worry about the damage, I might get some wood filler and some black paint.. it might not look all that great but at least it won't stand out. I'll just have to get the bases and that should be about it but if the fix isn't too much of a hassle, I'd like to get the speakers fixed but I gotta collect the money from UPS first. so if anyone's got an idea on how much it'll cost, I'd appreciate it.. thanks.

-Bruce
  • Kent
    Kent Posts: 5
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Yep, have them get you a new pair, or just pocket the difference. If they were new from a vendor, usually the vendor handles everything. Just call them and have them deal with the shipper. I had a similar problem with FedEx...but the speakers were SHATTERED into baseball size pieces! FexEx was even nice enough to put the trashed speakers and box into a new box like nothing happened. Must have fell of the truck. Needless to say, after inspection, they gave me the full price.
  • brucechang
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Alright.. So just to clarify cause it seems as if I haven't made myself clear, these are Polk RT2000p's.. They're not new.. they're used and I bought them for $800. The current model, the 2000i's go for $899 a piece so there's no way I'm getting a new pair from UPS. They'll either pay me $800 for the price I paid for the speakers (yes, they know I paid $800 cause it was COD) or they'll pay me up to $800 for the repair. SO, if anyone has any idea on how much it'd cost to get them repaired, I'd appreciate it.. Thanks.

-Bruce