Widescreen

Options
-justin-
-justin- Posts: 891
edited February 27 in Clubhouse Archives
So my roommate just recently moved out and took his (what now seems like) giant 32" TV with him. I'm thinking two things:

1) Faak! Now I have to watch my new roommate's 17" TV from 1981
2) Awesome, now I can buy a widescreen TV

What's the problem you say? I just don't want to spend the money (duh!)

SO, my question are:

1) Which TV should I consider for a reasonable price (must be widescreen -- under 2k is a MUST)
2) When is the best time to buy?

~Justin
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Micah Cohen
    Micah Cohen Posts: 2,022
    edited August 2001
    Options
    1) Tosh or Mits
    2) Now. Duh.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

"There's nothing funny about a clown in the moonlight." - Lon Chaney
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2001
    Options
    You mean, whoa-as-me, beat up 1987 Honda drivin Justin has 2K to spend on a TV?????

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • -justin-
    edited August 2001
    Options
    No, that's the point. I DON'T have 2k to spend. But hey, that's what credit is for, am I missing something?

~Justin

[Edit: And I got rid of that POS 87 Accord]
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Justin,

I landed a Mits 46" (46807) 16:9 for 1,995. Right now Mits is discounting the 2001 models. They are also offering 1 year no interest, no payments and no down payment.

Can't beat that.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • -justin-
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Awesome! So where did you buy from?

~Justin
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I bought it locally from Ken Cranes here in Huntington Beach, CA. The price also included free delivery and set-up.

Go to: http://www.mitsubishi-tv.com

I believe they spell out the details of the offer.

If...
  • mark k. anderson
    mark k. anderson Posts: 18
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Panny is good. Have used an HD RPTV for 2+ years now and picture is just as bright as the day I purchased. Maybe even brighter, after I re-whar'd it. See link for Pannyvision

mka
  • katmandu
    katmandu Posts: 1
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I'd recomend that you check out and see if you can find a discounted Mitsubishi WS-46807. They were going for about $1995 to $2100. However now they are being suceeded by the 46809, so you might find the 807 marked down.

Having seen one professionally tuned at the high end audio/video store makes me wish my living room was large enough for it.
  • CHRIS
    CHRIS Posts: 454
    edited August 2001
    Options
    In my bedroom setup I have a VVega 36"XBR450. I my main H/T room, which is not finished, I have a Pioneer PRO-710HD. Having ISF come out and calibrate them made an unreal difference. I did not think the 710 could get any better but it did. Before it was like looking out a window after it was like looking out a window with no glass. Its the best way I can describe it. Depending on the cost in your area I would highly rcomend ISF calibration. It will void your warrenty if you tell the manufacturer it was done.
    Justin my vote is for the Mitsubishi too. You can't bet the deal they have ging on now. Get ISF if you can.
    Chris
    Chris :)
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I would highly rcomend ISF calibration

I plan on landing a Progressive Player sometime around Christmas, after that ISF.

Although, when I had a tech come out to check the geometry of my set he swore I already was running a progressive player. He said, for doing the tweaking my self it look very good. I was happy

If...
  • -justin-
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Ok, so it looks like there is a lot of people who like the MITSUs. They have a "no interest, no payment for 12 months" deal going on previous year models (gotta love that credit). But man, there are so many different series! Gold, Diamond, etc... What the hell is the difference?

I guess I'll go to Tweeter this weekend and check out the picture. Although, they have all the TVs set up to a HD, displaying High Def. pictures. I just want to see what "Fight Club" will look like :)

Thanks for all your help guys.

~Justin
  • jeffeb3
    jeffeb3 Posts: 106
    edited August 2001
    Options
    if it were me, I wouldn't go with a tos, pio, or pan. I'd stick to hit or mits. they make some really great tv's the thing i like about the mits the most is the REALLY thin border areound the tv. if it's pollible to do that 1/2" border why have anything bigger?
  • i002492
    i002492 Posts: 14
    edited August 2001
    Options
    If you have a video source (e.g., VCR, DVD) you may want to do what I did. I went on to E-bay and bought a Sharp Vision projector for $600 and a screen for another $200. It's not the resolution you get from a $20K plasma screen, but for $800 and 120" it's not bad. 32" will seem kind of small :^).
    Jeff
    PS, you have to have a pretty good sized room to use it in.
  • -justin-
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Well, over the weekend I went to Tweeter and looks at the Mistus on the floor. The picture was incredible, and the price wasn't too horrible either. For a 55", it would be $2,500. Does this seem too high for last year's model?

But when I asked him to show me what normal TV looks like, I was a little disappointed. Not in the picture quality, but because of the GRAY bars on the side. What a distraction! Are ALL tvs like this with the GRAY bars? What happens when I watch a DVD that does not fit into the TV? Do those gray bars appear at the top and bottom?

I sure hope not. I guess I'll have to bring some DVDs in to test. What can be done about these bars?

~JB
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Like I said, you can make cute little curtains like I did to cover the gray side bars when watching 4:3 material, or construct a matte system like I know some people do, I think Ron-P did some mattes for his Mits TV. Ron?

Or, use the TV in zoomed or expanded mode to watch regular 4:3 TV programs.

Do "widescreen" programs like "ER" show up as 16:9 when used in "regular" mode on a 16:9 TV?

Either way, it doesn't matter. Regular TV is not important anymore.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• Ron-P
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Regular TV is not important anymore

You got that right MC.

I personally do not watch any 4:3 material on my Mits.

The top and bottom horizontal bars are black on anything that is greater than 1.85:1 AR because the bars are player generated. As with TV, the bars are generated by the TV so they are grey but , the color can be changed to black via the service menu.

Justin, that seems a good price for the 55'. I paid 1,995 for my 46".

Get last years model. The houses are all black. Have you seen this years model, all silver. Plus, there is a ton of tweaking out on last years models, not sure, but I think Mits locked out more of the codes on the new model.

Good Luck.

If...
  • shepx2
    shepx2 Posts: 646
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Don't count out the Pioneer sets. Most of their regular line gets alot of their parts/designs from the year befores' Elites. Which are probably the best out there.
    Also, the new 53" Hitachi looks great. I've seen it on sale for as low as $2300.

Shep
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2001
    Options
    RON!

'Esplain this:
    they are grey but , the color can be changed to black via the service menu.

How do I do this? (Or, would my Tosh have a menu somewhere I'm missing?!) How did you do this? I have never heard of this! This would negate the need for mattes!

Tell me! Tell me!

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• -justin-
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Tweaks? I like the sound of that. Nothing better than tweaking out electronics :) Where do I find information on Mitsu tweaks? Micah tells me one wrong move and BHAM, goodbye $2,500 TV.

Yeah, I saw a newer model and it looked gray. The all black cabinet is pretty impressive. I wish it was still a little cheaper. $2k would be perfect (over the course of a year). I'll just borrow the mula from Micah.

Thanks for your help,

~Justin
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Tosh Grey Bar NFO

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Micah Cohen
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Ooo, Russ, loads of great info there (and in links within the link, stuff I've never seen -- and I have loads of Tosh tweak links).
    Only do that (remove the bars completely) at your own risk, though, because the grey bars are supposedly there to prevent burn-in damage; I still use black cardboard panels to mask the grey bars when viewing STANDARD mode content in the dark.

But, the author of this tweak goes on to say, he has used his tweaked set for years watching lots of 4:3 material with no burn-in damage.

I actually don't think I'm going to fiddle with this stuff. This is back in the realm of "dangerous to open the hood" tweaks. I'm just going to be content to use mattes. Most of the stuff I watch is widescreen anyway.

MC
    ultramicah@yahoo.com

• dbartol
    dbartol Posts: 66
    edited August 2001
    Options
    I'd go with a top of the line Runco or Videkron with a Stewart accoustically transparent screen. With the money you save you can buy a Ferrari and an airplane or something...

No need to thank me

Darrin (shg) (scorpio)
  • Ron-P
    edited August 2001
    Options
    Justin, DO NOT FEAR!

I have done a lot to my Mits in the service menu with great results and no screw-ups.

As long as you remember that the "CANCEL" button is your best friend, you have no worries.

Trust me when I say, you will want to tweak it.

If...