Tube Pre-Amp - Do you leave it ON ?

Options
tapeshc
tapeshc Posts: 135
edited July 2005 in 2 Channel Audio
How log can you leave a Tube pre-amp on at time. Like 6 hrs./12/hrs. etc…….. or it doesn’t matter.

Can it damage the pre-amp or burn it up, I mean pre-amp dies on you.

I know that it will have adverse effect on Tube life.

Thanks in advance

Tapesh
Thanks

Tapesh
Post edited by tapeshc on

Comments

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I leave mine on most of the time. The last set of tubes needed replaced after maybe 4 years.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I don't leave mine on, but do have to wait about an hour for the rig to warm up, in order to sound its best.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited December 2004
    Options
    http://www.audibleillusions.com/tech.htm#PREAMP_HISTORY

an excerpt from the AI FAQ section. scroll down ~1/2 the page
    Does the preamps standby mode extend tube life?
    During our previous experience with tube electronics in the recording industry we learned that if the equipment was left on all of the time maximum circuit stability and tube life was greatly extended. Other than breakage, nothing is more damaging to the delicate inner parts of a tube than to apply full current when it is cold.
    However, minimizing thermal shock by keeping the filaments on is just a partial solution to extended tube life. It's necessary to address internal gas build-up and possible poisoning of the cathodes.

I have said this in the past but found it amusing when I stumbled upon it.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I turn mine off, but as Mark said, they sound best about an hr into it. That's one feature I dig about the Melos, it has a 3 minute 'warm up' (555 Hbomb?) before you can listen (it won't play 'till the red light goes green).

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by HBombToo
    ... possible poisoning of the cathodes.

Ahhh, now I see what all that spitting is about! :D

I leave my tube gear on and SS gear is switched on when used.
  • HBombToo
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    I turn mine off, but as Mark said, they sound best about an hr into it. That's one feature I dig about the Melos, it has a 3 minute 'warm up' (555 Hbomb?) before you can listen (it won't play 'till the red light goes green).

Cheers,
    Russ

BTW Russ when you headen to KC? We should try to get together over the Holidays!

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I'm not doing ANYTHING. Maybe we should get together.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • HBombToo
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I'm not doing ANYTHING. Maybe we should get together.

Cheers,
    Russ

Lets do it... I'm up for a BINGE and some drunken PICS:D

Plus I would really like for you to evaluate my rig.

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Me? Evaluate?

I sold you half of it, good stuff!

Cheers,
    Russ
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2005
    Options
    The Marantz 8 is due for a swap. I touched base here first then just pulled the trigger and the tubestore was it.

2 Pair Svetlana amplifier tubes.
    2 EI Elite 6CG7's with Gold pins.
    2 GE 6BH6's.

the tube that cracked in the original compliment provided was a GE so now I have some reserve.

thetubestore.com gets my vote.

I now only listen to the Marantz and SS is in storage waiting for the Master Bedroom system.

I leave the Quicksilver on all the time and power down the tube rectifiers for AC when away. The Marantz is powered from the Quicksilver 6X4's. I do have reserve 6X4's. I replaced the 6X4's last year.

1/4twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited July 2005
    Options
    You know if figured what the hell I left mine on and shortly thereafter my JJ's faded, not a big deal for 25.00 tubes but they seemed to go pretty quick in the Dodd ELP, was using those mapleshade anchors and think they MAY have been the culprit with excess heat build up.

RT1
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by reeltrouble1
    was using those mapleshade anchors and think they MAY have been the culprit with excess heat build up.

RT1

what is a mapleshade anchor?

Excessive heat can lead to premature cathode death plus sputter oxides all over the grid and anode. This is baaaaaaad...

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2005
    Options
    The Mapleshade Anchors should help to dissapate heat, like a chimmney.

Chim Chim Cha-roo,
    Russ
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Yea Russ, thats what I thought that they would "heat sink" the build up away, I did like the tweak they provided, it could be it was just the JJ's time to fade.

Henry the mapleshade anchors are brass type round collars which fit around the tube and ground to the chasis. I did notice things tighten up a bit when I used them, its like wire, a subjective thing.

RT1
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited July 2005
    Options
    A link from Hbombs link...

http://www.tweakshop.com/Tube%20care.html
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I use Herbie's....F Mapleshade.

http://herbiesaudiolab.home.att.net/
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2005
    Options
    $10 o-rings, neat.

I'll stick with the real deal.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Do get aroused when you perform the condom rolling motion with those?
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Eh?
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I've never experienced a "heat dissipation" problem in a tube as small as a 6DJ8 for example. If I thought those worked, I would have kept them.

I'll stick with the vibration and resonance idea.
  • HBombToo
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Now that's Harcore!
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2005
    Options
    It's four times heavier than the tube itself, probably 50 times heavier than the o-rings. Heat disappation is only a side benefit, isolation and vibe control is what they are for.

The even come with a grounding strip, if you want to ground the shield to the chassis.

If you want, I'll gladly head down to the electronic parts house, and send you few dozen of the rings. I want to say they are $.30 each, and come in 3 or 4 groovy colors.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • ND13
    ND13 Posts: 7,601
    edited July 2005
    Options
    It's four times heavier than the tube itself, probably 50 times heavier than the o-rings. Heat disappation is only a side benefit, isolation and vibe control is what they are for.

The even come with a grounding strip, if you want to ground the shield to the chassis.

If you want, I'll gladly head down to the electronic parts house, and send you few dozen of the rings. I want to say they are $.30 each, and come in 3 or 4 groovy colors.

Cheers,
    Russ

Those sleeves are only $0.30 each? Or did I misread this?
    "SOME PEOPLE CALL ME MAURICE,
    CAUSE I SPEAK OF THE POMPITIOUS OF LOVE"
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2005
    Options
    No, the sleeves start at $15 each.

I was just f'n with Mark about the o-rings. I don't know if they are made by the same guy, but I've got a set like Herbie's HAL-O 9's myself.
  • dorokusai
    edited July 2005
    Options
    I know what you mean Russ, as I have used a set of similar "dampers". The weight issue is an excellent point to me, but I just didn't find a benefit to them and preferred the HALO's instead, if at the minumum, aesthetically.

There was really no huge reason other than that.
  • aaharvel
    aaharvel Posts: 4,490
    edited July 2005
    Options
    i just realized i need a SERIOUS education into what true hi-fi is.

All of the above- I have no idea what in the hell you guys are talking about.

:cool:
    H/K Signature 2.1+235
    Jungson MagicBoat II
    Revel Performa M-20
    Velodyne cht-10 sub
    Rega P1 Turntable

"People working at Polk Audio must sit around the office and just laugh their balls off reading many of these comments." -Lush
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2005
    Options
    My two fine friends can use as they please, I put the effin things on the 6dj8's and I noticed the sound coming from the speakers was pleasing me, the guy I bought the Dodd from had changed to the O ring dampers with some fancy sattelite looking cups attached to the O ring, so he gave me these as a freebie.

The mapleshade anchors are like 15-30 for a set and come in different sizes and are said to dampen vibration. I am no tube expert :rolleyes: but my non-audio friends are really impressed.
    Mapleshade actually says to ground to the same screw but I could not hear the difference and just like the way this looked.

RT1

Edit, theres a shot of your old 1130 that both of you had your nasty skinners on Russ and Doro!!!!!!!!
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by reeltrouble1
    You know if figured what the hell I left mine on and shortly thereafter my JJ's faded, not a big deal for 25.00 tubes but they seemed to go pretty quick in the Dodd ELP, was using those mapleshade anchors and think they MAY have been the culprit with excess heat build up.

RT1

I don't think it's the anchors. I also had a JJ in my pre and it lasted about a week. One channel just kept making a continuous noise. Good thing I bought an EH along with it. The EH is quiet and are still kicking. Very good sounding tube. It's too bad because JJ is my favorite 6922 tube. Killer bass, warm mids and smoothness and highs that I can only compare to a Mullard 6DJ8. Maybe they had a bad run. I purchased mine about 2 months ago. I'm still going to give JJ another chance when I feel like swapping the EH.

Maurice
  • RuSsMaN
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Henry, I re-read the post. Get the 8 OFF the Quicksilver. That preamp is not meant to handle the Voltage the Marantz 8 pulls. No wonder you are going through 6x4's at a record pace.

Those outlets are meant for source control, if nothing else, put the 8 on its own surge protector to give you power on/off switching.

Cheers,
    Russ
  • reeltrouble1
    edited July 2005
    Options
    Originally posted by organ
    I don't think it's the anchors. I also had a JJ in my pre and it lasted about a week.
    Maurice

Maurice,

You must of had a bad tube, they should last much much longer, I had my JJ's on most everday for 4-6 hours for months on end.

RT1