Loudness setting - Definition?

Options
polkatese
polkatese Posts: 6,767
edited December 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Polkies,

Can anyone shed a light on these questions (for me):

1. On some select amps/receivers, the loudness setting (either software driven, such as B&K or mechanical button, in some others), what would be the typical boost to the frequency range?

2. Would engaging these feature cause the frequency response to be altered (i.e subsequent to the room calibration with SPL meter)?

3. Some integrated amps don't even have the loudness setting, and yet, the perceived amount of low and high energy is comparable to other amps/receivers, with loudness feature engaged, what gives? is it a function of speaker efficiency, amp damping factor, room, amps specific characteristic, or others?

Inquiring mind wants to know, TIA...
I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
Post edited by polkatese on

Comments

• sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited December 2004
    Options
    The boost level varies from component to component. Most common is +6db. The purpose is to boost bass and treble levels for low volume listening. It's helps music sound more full at low volumes levels. Most common is a 6db boost at 100hz and 10khz. With good, properly set up components, speakers, subs, etc, it's never needed.
    Go BIG or go home!
  • jcaut
    jcaut Posts: 1,849
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I'll try, based on my experience

1. I think it varies by manufacturer, but usually the loudness contour boosts the bass below 100Hz and the treble above 10Khz by a small amount. Supposed to help "compensate" for the way our ears are less sensitive to those frequencies at low volumes. On most equipment, I think the effect fades away as the volume is increased. I don't think there is a standard, so to speak.

2. Yes, it would. Personally I'd calibrate with it off, then engage the loudness feature at low volume, or not, depending on your preference.

3. I'm not sure how to answer that... On everything I've listened to with a "loudness" setting, it made quite a noticable difference, especially in bass--- usually too much compensation for my taste.
  • sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited December 2004
    Options
    You never calibrate with loud enabled as it destroys any kind of linear response. +6db is quite a lot.

It is not a function of anything. I am pretty sure it was Pioneer who first brought this to us with their silver units. It's just there to liven things up when the volume is not cranked. Some "lesser" speakers have got to be cranking to sound good. This is to compensate for it.

Some better units equipped with a loudness circuit roll off the gain as volume increases.
    Go BIG or go home!
  • polkatese
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Thanks guys!

+6 dB, eh? that's seem very significant. I have to read some more on this subject. Now it really gets my attention...
    I am sorry, I have no opinion on the matter. I am sure you do. So, don't mind me, I just want to talk audio and pie.
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Loudness comp existed long before Pioneer ever showed up, or even before stereo showed up...it dates back to the mono days. Its intent is to augment the bass and treble at lower volumes to compensate for the ear's lessened sensitivity to those frequencies at low volumes (the Fletcher-Munson curve). The amount of compensation in most amps equipped with loudness comp decreases with increasing volume, thanks to a loudness tap on the volume pot. After the tap is reached the response becomes flat. The volume knob once upon a time was labeled Loudness on a lot of amps back in the tube days, and the compensation was usually switchable. The old Scott 222D tube integrated I used to have was like that. Wish I hadn't have sold that amp...

TP
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited December 2004
    Options
    You can find the "loudness" switch to be named "contour" switch on some older pieces. H-K, among other companies used that name. Yamaha and another company have for years used a variable "loudness" circuit.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2004
    Options
    Does that mean that my Yamaha RX-V1400 is compensating by boosting certain frequencies when I'm listening at low volumes?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • polkatese
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I used to own a Sansui Integrated, AU-5900 (I think) that have the Loudness switch. On my old Denon AVC3030, I used to engage the loudness, but kept everything else on flat, it sounded much nicer (to my ears) fwiw...