Installing speakers

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have the next problemm: I have a 4x50w player and a pair of 30w speakers, both the player and the paeakers at 4 ohms of impedance. The question is: What should I do in order to not to "burn" the speakers? I mean, should I install any resistors or something like that? I made the nezt scheme, but I don't think it will work:
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Systems
    edited December 2004
    Sorry, if you don't understand the picture above. Maybe you'll understand that better:
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited December 2004
    Head units really only output about 10-15W per channel, so as long as you're not overdriving the internal amps (distorting the clipping the signal), you'll be fine.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by admann
    I have the next problemm: I have a 4x50w player and a pair of 30w speakers, both the player and the paeakers at 4 ohms of impedance. The question is: What should I do in order to not to "burn" the speakers? I mean, should I install any resistors or something like that? I made the nezt scheme, but I don't think it will work:
    If the player and the speakers are both rated at 4 ohms, what's the problem? Just hook each speaker up to its own channel. You'll have two unused channels on your CD player, but that won't hurt a thing.
    -Austin
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    I agree with BK. A head unit doesnt put out anywhere near 30 watts RMS so you shouldnt have anything to worry about. I wouldnt mess with resistors.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited December 2004
    I know that the real power of the amp is only 20-25w RMS, but I wanted to be sure the speakers are not affected. Beside that, the price of a fiew resistors doesn't compare with a pair of speakers. 10X anyway, guys!
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing