Intro- returning to 2 ch

dmalino
dmalino Posts: 36
edited December 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I'm new here. I currently own crappy but getting better HT equipment- Sony Receiver, Sony SACD Changer (pretty decent I think), RTi38s and CSi30 center.
Radio Shack LX5 surrounds. Sony WM40 sub.

I'm building a 2 ch setup soon. Got Lsi9s so far . Any recommendations on an amp? $1000 for pre/power or integrated is my limit. Will the Jolida 1501 hybrid work with this? Will the 502 tube amp work? I listened to the Lsi9s through tube gear( Rogue Audio) which might have something to do with the sound.
Dealer recommended NAD or Parasound amps. I went shopping for tower speakers under $1000, the Lsi9s sounded a lot better to me than any floorstander the dealer had.

Current musical tastes are everything except Nashville country and "smooth" jazz. Favorites right now are Hilary Hahn (her playing is exquisite plus she's awful cute :) ), Jill Scott, Avril, Sahara Hotnights, and alt-country performers like BR549 and Cross Canadian Ragweed.
Favorite group of all time is The Corrs.

Thanks for listening;
Dave
Post edited by dmalino on

Comments

• Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited December 2004
    Welcome! Nice to see a fellow LSi9 owner!

Have you listened to them at your house? How do they sound in comparison to when it was hooked up at the dealer?

I havent heard the LSi9s on solid state separates or on tube amps but from what I heard at the dealer (off a Yamaha 1400) and here at home (with an HK AVR330), these LSi9 are one heck of a speaker!!

Someone else will chime in soon.

Have fun and congrats on your new purchase!

Happy Polking!
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2004
    It's just a suggestion, but if you bump your budget up a little, there is an extremely potent combination in the flea market right now.

Parasound
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • cfrizz
    cfrizz Posts: 13,415
    edited December 2004
    Welcome to the club dmalino! You should definately snatch up those Parasounds on the Flea Market. You won't be able to come anywhere near that price for that combo anywhere else.

That combo will make your LSi 9's shine!
    Marantz AV-7705 PrePro, Classé 5 channel 200wpc Amp, Oppo 103 BluRay, Rotel RCD-1072 CDP, Sony XBR-49X800E TV, Polk S60 Main Speakers, Polk ES30 Center Channel, Polk S15 Surround Speakers SVS SB12-NSD x2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2004
    Ditto, ditto! Heck of a deal.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,521
    edited December 2004
    ...oh, I almost forgot...VIVA 2-CHANNEL!.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • dmalino
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by dorokusai
    It's just a suggestion, but if you bump your budget up a little, there is an extremely potent combination in the flea market right now.

Parasound

Those pieces are local pickup only, though I'm definitely interested in the Halo combo (they look beautiful and I'm sick of black boxes). I've run out of money at the moment.
    I'm going to use the LSis with my Sony for now and buy separates when I can afford it. If my Sony refuses to work when connected to the LSis than I'll pick up a NAD320BEE amp and use that.
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited December 2004
    Save some money for a decent CD player. The Sony might sound good with SACD's but is horrible with normal REDBOOK. Buy the NAD BEE intergrated, I've had one, its a nice small little intergrated, it will work. Take the money saved on your power and spend it on either a NAD 542 CD player or a used Rega Planet 2000 which can be found at www.audiogon.com

As it stands right now, your source will be the weakest link in your system, unless of coarse you only listen to SACD's, the reality is it should be the cornerstone of your system.
  • dmalino
    edited December 2004
    update- I ordered a Cambridge 640a Integrated amp from AudioAdvisor. They have a 30 day return policy if I don't like the sound. The amp was $499 so I used some of my leftover funds to buy new speaker stands and cable.
    I would have bought the NAD but I liked the Cambridge's silver color better.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Hehehe... so you're one of those "silver" guys. :)
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited December 2004
    Hey! Silver is cool! Just ask my Luxman separates or my vintage Pioneer and Sansui receivers lurking about my lair! :D

Teeheehee...

TP
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by B3Nut
    Hey! Silver is cool! Just ask my Luxman separates or my vintage Pioneer and Sansui receivers lurking about my lair! :D

Teeheehee...

TP

I wanna see... I wanna see..

if you got some pics of the silver gear..please post some

thanks

here are a couple of mine...
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited December 2004
    Silver Gear...

Vintage or... *new* silver gear?

EDIT - better pic..
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • Joey_V
    edited December 2004
    Silver people.... hehehehe... ;) .

Now that I look around, I have a lot of silver things, too. :D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,968
    edited December 2004
    I really like the look of silver gear. I didnt use to like silver gear at all...

However, ever since I got this B&K gear - I openly invite anything silver into my room! haha

Here is an integrated I might get for my computer system, *cough* Russ *cough*
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.