First Impressions of New Speakers

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited December 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Just got the Norh 5.1's today. They are replacing the Polk Lsi7's on my 2-channel system (Bada tube CD player, Odyssey Stratos amp, Musical Fidelity A3cr pre-amp, and an Onix Rocket UFW-10 sub). I purchased these strictly for aesthetic reasons. My wife wanted to get them to match the decor in the living room.

First, let me say that these speakers are gorgeous. I got the ones made from wood, not marble. The wood has a very high polished shine to them. They have a very large port on the back of the drum-style speaker. If you look inside, you can see parts of the crossover and the back of the driver. It's much lighter in weight than I anticipated. They were very well packed and arrived in three days from Thailand (but took 7 weeks to make!).

How do they sound, you ask? Well, right out of the box they sound just as good as the Lsi7's. There are some subtle differences, of course. The Norhs produce a wider soundstage and are a slightly more laid back, although the bass is a bit on the weak side. These issues may be resolved during break-in. So far, I am very pleased, and my wife is happy.

Here's a pic of them I pulled off their website:
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2004
    whoa!!! That's some serious lookin' speaker!!! lol What size woofer is that? What is it's freq. range supposed to be? Lookin' forward to hearing what you think.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2004
    That has got to be the ugliest speaker I've ever seen....no offense intended, but it looks like half a bongo. Hope they sound okay.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 27,969
    edited December 2004
    My thoughts are the -opposite- of Franks...

Very nice looking speaker, and that is an awesome finish!

Congrats! Can't wait to hear your thoughts as well!
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited December 2004
    They are fashioned after the Thai long drums, and sound OUTSTANDING.

Granted the look isn't for everyone, I do own a pair though.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited December 2004
    Beauty is in the eye of the beholder, so as long as he likes 'em that's all that really matters I guess.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited December 2004
    A big headed bird told me Norh's are just wonderful speakers.

:D

Glad you like em so far Early. They are different for sure.
    Graham
  • Early B.
    edited December 2004
    You see, my wife wanted these speakers because the theme of our living room is tribal drums. We have pictures, real African and Bali drums, and drum-type decor in the room. So when she saw these speakers, she had to have them. They actually look very nice in the room. No, the look is certainly not for everyone, but they'll definitely be a conversation piece when we have friends over. That gives me plenty of opportunities to showcase the system and impress the hell out of 'em.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• Early B.
    edited December 2004
    What size woofer is that? What is it's freq. range supposed to be?

It has a 5 inch woofer and it starts to trail off at around 50 Hz, according to the Norh website.

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN

Granted the look isn't for everyone, I do own a pair though.

Cheers,
    Russ

Man, you own (at least) a pair of everything!! lol

Glad you like EarlyB.....sounds like they'd be pretty nice. Are you using them for music or HT? You got a sub with 'em, I hope?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • Early B.
    edited December 2004
    Are you using them for music or HT? You got a sub with 'em, I hope?

Two channel only. Yeah, I gotta have a sub for bookshelf speakers 'cause I like plenty of bass.

• Early B.
    edited December 2004
    Russ -- which pair of Norhs do you own?

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited December 2004
    That looks awesome. I like the shiny fishish. What kind of tweeter do they use? I remember reading something about them using the same Vifa tweets as the LSi.

Maurice
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,573
    edited December 2004
    I heard a pair down at Russman's, albeit a different model, and didn't really like them. That nearfield full range driver setup just isn't my bag right now.

They look very nice, and they probably sound alot different, have fun with them.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited December 2004
    The Norhs seem to get a lot of good press/reviews. I'm sure they are quality speakers that evidently sound pretty good....but I can't get past the look. They have always reminded me of the planetkiller from the Star Trek episode "The Doomsday Machine"....

35ddm-32.jpg
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Joey_V
    Joey_V Posts: 8,505
    edited December 2004
    My friend's uncle has those nohr speakers. Dont know which one but he has the one that are made of marble along with a marble subwoofer that he has augmented with an HSU 1220 sub.

Sounds very impressive, too! :D
    Magico, JL, Emm, ARC Ref 10 line, ARC Ref 10 phono, VPI, Lyra, Boulder, AQ Wel, SRA Scuttle Rack, Bluesound
  • smglbrth
    smglbrth Posts: 1,458
    edited December 2004
    Early, you are a wise man. You bought something that not only you like, but something that your wife likes just as much. We don't even need to discuss WAF! Everyone should get this kind of approval, who is married of course, life is so much easier!

They do look different, glad you like them!
    Remember, when you're running from something, you're running to something...-me
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited December 2004
    OK if you say so, but if that is a Thai Long Drum what do their short drums look like.:confused:

Enjoy your new speakers.
  • Early B.
    edited December 2004
    A more thorough review of the Norhs is coming soon...