Question for you guys?

Grimster74
Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
edited December 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I haven't posted over here for a while but I've been rather busy, anywho. As most of you know I'm currently running the Polk Audio MMC6500's with the Alpine MRP-F240 amplifier. This morning I noticed when listening to a certain song, and just this one song, the tweeter in my passenger side door makes a buzzing noise on a certain note. Does this mean the tweeter may be malfunctioning or could it be something in the door causing a vibration. Like I said, its just this one song at just this certain note or frequency. The driver side door does not do this. If I go to any other songs on the cd, it does not do it. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
Post edited by Grimster74 on

Comments

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited December 2004
    My guess would be that the mid is making the door vibrate. Listen to the song and try to hold different parts of the door to see if it stops.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited December 2004
    or put the balance all the way on that side and disconnect the mid from the crossover...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited December 2004
    I agree its probably the door skin vibrating.

A sure fire way to tell for sure, although possibly a huge pain in the ****, would be to switch the tweeters and see if the noise stays on the passenger side. If so then you know your speakers are not the culprit.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Grimster74
    edited December 2004
    I think with the help from you guys I figured it out. I do beleive the evil culprit is the stock tweeter cover. I played that song again last night when I got home and when you press your finger on the cover, the vibration goes away. What a pain in the **** this will be to fix, getting to door panel off that is. But, it will be taken care of this weekend.:D thanks for all your help guys.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2004
    better that than a blown tweeter:)
    -Cody
  • Grimster74
    edited December 2004
    Okay guys, just got in from the freezing cold trying to fix my tweeter problem. Guess what, it was not the installation, it's the tweeter itself. Its NOT blown, it just makes a vibrating noise. I removed the tweeter from the door panel and listened to it. When I play THAT song, it vibrates, but, if I press on the Polk grill for the tweeter, it stops. The grill for the tweeter seems to be attached in some way so there is no way for me to fix it. So, to make a long story short, the tweeter is defective and I need to get it replaced. Next question, who do I contact at customer service. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Kim is the man at CS, not sure if you can contact him directly though. You can either e-mail him thru the forum or just call the CS number, Im sure whoever answers can help you out.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Kim is the man at CS, not sure if you can contact him directly though. You can either e-mail him thru the forum or just call the CS number, Im sure whoever answers can help you out.
    Yeah!!! They Are ALLLL GREAT PEOPLE. they give you a new tweeeter!!! NEW TWEETER WHAT WHAT!!! NEW TWEET WHAT
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    Yeah!!! They Are ALLLL GREAT PEOPLE. they give you a new tweeeter!!! NEW TWEETER WHAT WHAT!!! NEW TWEET WHAT

Do you ever make sense? ;)

• swerve
    edited December 2004
    Do you ever make sense? ;)
    I'm really funny if your my age and in HS. ;) Sorry, I'll try to smarten up. Lately i've been on an ego trip the size of new york.... but i locked my keys in my car tonight and that kind of circumsized my ego.

=adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    LOL!

Kind of funny how doing stupid things like that can sure sober you up! I should know! Im sober A LOT!

• swerve
    edited December 2004
    I'm offtopic, I don't think customer service helps with stupidity and ignorance..... sorry guys I highjacked your thread!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Grimster74
    edited December 2004
    Well this sucks. Just got off the phone with customer service with Polk Audio. Polk wants me to send the tweeter to Calf. with a brief discription of the problem to see if they can fix it. If it can't be fixed Polk will send me a new one I guess. I don't want to go weeks without a tweeter in my doors. Does anyone else know of any other way to get this resolved without having to send the tweeter in first. Any help would be greatly appreciated.
  • exalted512
    edited December 2004
    play your mid full range, just dont turn it up too much
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited December 2004
    it'll be a week and a half more than likely... i sent in my entire mm6 set and had it back with new woofers and new tweeters in less than 2 weeks...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    edited December 2004
    i didnt know you blew your comps??
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Where did you buy it from? Even if you installed it yourself most shops would replace a screwed up tweet if its less than 30 days old.

• Grimster74
    edited December 2004
    I purchased them back in September 2004 from Tweeters.
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    Hmmm, well thats probably gonna be too long. I assume you didnt get the extended warranty.

Looks like youre gonna have to bite the bullet. Look on the bright side, 2 weeks aint bad at all considering most manuafactuers would keep it a month or so.

Double check it and make sure its nothing you could fix yourself as in loose cover or something.

• Joelsbass
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    i didnt know you blew your comps??

i posted that when my car died dude, one of the woofers had a blown VC, they both had extensive warping due to sun, and one of the wires on one of the tweets had come un-soldered... set em in and they replaced all the speakers

• exalted512
    edited December 2004
    oo yea...i remember now...my bad
    im ordering new comps tomorrow:D
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    edited December 2004
    the iridiums?? you'll have to let me know how they perform!!

• exalted512
    edited December 2004
    yup:D
  • Grimster74
    edited December 2004

I second this motion. Kim has already boxed up the new tweeters and said they will be shipping from Baltimore today. Now that's what I call customer service. Thats another reason to only buy Polk gear.:D
  • swerve
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by Grimster74
    I second this motion. Kim has already boxed up the new tweeters and said they will be shipping from Baltimore today. Know thats what I call customer service. Thats another reason to only buy Polk gear.:D
    That's great! Goncratulations on your new sweaters! Are they knitted or cotton?

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Joelsbass
    edited December 2004
    poster_stupid.gif

that one was actually funny!! ;):D

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited December 2004
  • exalted512
    edited December 2004
    Originally posted by Josh
    Huh?
    poster_stupid.gif
  • MacLeod
    edited December 2004
    How'd you do that?

• swerve
    edited December 2004
    NOW IF ONLY RE WOULD ANSWER THEIR PHONES I COULD ORDER MY 18!!! MWUAHAHA
    cats.vans.bag...