In-line capacitors

Wattsup
Wattsup Posts: 24
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I have a question regarding capacitors installed between the battery and amp to supply the amp with extra power when the amp requires it.
Do they work? Do they present a shock hazard if shorted out? One would think that such a device would tend to pull power away from the amp as the capacitor recharges. What's the scoop?
Post edited by Wattsup on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    Im not a big believer in caps unless youre running major wattage or a 50 amp alternator.

Shock hazard? I doubt it. There isnt enough voltage going thru there as opposed to the coil.

It wont pull voltage away from the amps as it charges but it will pull voltage away from the alternator and battery.

I suggest sticking with the stock charging system. If youre having voltage problems then upgrade the battery first and if that doesn work then look into a cap or upgraded alternator.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D