Got a Ram Quad Cab 2k4 6x9 in front 5.25 inback

bam88
bam88 Posts: 82
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Ive got my box put together 2x12" Momos
Now I need a good idea of what to put in the doors
3way? 2way? Midrange? Components?
Ive got a Kenwood 6025 head unit 4chanel amp for the front and a mono dblock for the subs. I dont know much about door speakers 3way,2way,components midrange etc. ? What should I do?
Post edited by bam88 on

Comments

• swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2004
    I'll ask before any one else does...

how much money ya lookin' to spend playboi!

:D:D

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • bam88
    edited November 2004
    Bout 200 but its flexible:cool:
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    what does the amp put out? or better yet...do you have a link to it?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • bam88
    edited November 2004
    http://www.sonicelectronix.com/item_366.html
    theres the link I dont have it yet so if you have any recs for about that range im open for sugestions.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    you know thats a hifonics amp and not a kenwood right?
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited November 2004
    Cody
    Originally posted by bam88
    Ive got a Kenwood 6025 head unit
    4chanel amp for the front and
    a mono dblock for the subs.

brands of the amps were never stated, you just infered it...

dude, your absolute best option with a $200 budget for the fronts will be the MM6 component set from sounddomain.com i have them in my 99 dakota and i love them, you'll bi-amp the comp set, using the fronts of the amp for the tweets and the rears of the amp for the woofers... you'll get some nice sound from it that way!!!
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    Couldnt agree more. I have an 02 Ram Quad cab and you should forget about rear speakers. They are so close to you that they really pull the stage to the rear.

Id do exactly what Joel said, go to Sounddomain.com and get these.

Oh my gawd! Now theyre $169!! DAMMIT!!! Theyre gonna be gone before I can get any money!! :mad:

Anyways, get the MM6 and stick em in the front doors. Its gonna take some work to get em in there but I got the MMC690s in imine and these things are huge. Youll need make a spacer, preferably out of 1/2" MDF and maybe widen the opening a but. There is nothing to it so dont sweat it.

Then you can mount the tweets in the factory location in the dash but if you do angle them back so they dont bounce off the windshield.

Another good place is in the mirror sail. Its pretty big and they should fit there pretty easy.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bam88
    edited November 2004
    Thanks big time exalted and macleod,and Joelsbass
    Strangely enough cardomain seems to think that 7" are suposed to fit in my front door. No biggie Im just gonna get an installer to make it work if it isnt. Im not too good at that kinda stuff and I dont want to mess up my brand new truck. So you think that will be enough mids and highs for the truck? Just disconect the rear doors? Just lookn for a well balanced slammin sound good for all types of music. Ill probably expand it later when i figure out how to do some of this chit myself. OH and is a Hifonics amp figured since Im gonna use their D mono block for my subs Ill use their four channel for the front. Think I could get away with a two channel amp then? Thanks again!
    :D
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    You can get away with a 2 channel but I like bi-amping (front channels to tweeters/rear channels to mids). This gives you the most flexibility in tuning the output of your tweeter as opposed to the 0, -3db, -6db that you would use on the x-over.

Just disconnect the rear speakers and be done with them.

The problem with the new Ram doors is not the diameter but the depth. My MMC690s fit and all but even with a spacer they still rub the window gear when I roll it down. The MM6 isnt as deep as the 6x9 and since you wont have a tweeter attatched to the mid you wont have to negotiate the door panel and so youll be able to mount it high enough where depth shouldnt be a problem.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • bam88
    edited November 2004
    By using 4channel amp that means I wont need the crossover that comes with the MM6? Man I am learning a ton here thanks big time.:cool:
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Well you may. There are some amps that have variable x-overs that go all the way up to 5,500 Hz and so you could use those for your tweets. However most amps have a low pass x-over only so you will still be using the passive unit for the tweeters. For the mid youll just be running the low pass filter and then running the mid full range from 80 Hz or so on up.

• bam88
    edited November 2004
    http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13117:cool:

Says it has a builtin crossover would be better than using the one that comes with it right?
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    yeah but it probably isnt one that goes very high. Virtually all amps have one but its usually only goes to 80, 200 or 500 Hz. some of the higher end amps like the JL 300/4 or the Polk 300.4 have fully variable x-overs that you can use for the entire spectrum.

Dont sweat it tho if it doesnt. You just run the front outputs to the x-over and to the tweets then run the rear channels straight to the mid. Itll be fine.

You can always go with a 2 channel. Those are a lot simpler and easier to hook up. It wont necessarily sound any better or worse. The only benefit to bi-amping is the tweeter tuning flexibility. Other than that theres no difference. Except you dont have to buy and extra set of RCA's or speaker wire.

• bam88
    edited November 2004
    The ZX6400 features full Mosfet circuitry, dual high-pass crossovers variable from 60-1,200 Hz, dual low-pass crossovers variable from 30-150 Hz, variable 0-12 dB Bass EQ at 40 Hz

Thats what it says on cardomain.com
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Well the 1200 Hz is going to be too low for the tweeter. The MM6 tweet crosses at 3500 Hz if Im not mistaken. Playing frequencies down to 1200 Hz wont be good for it.

Youll be fine by using the passive unit. And like I said, if youre leary of bi-amping and just like things nice and simple, then go with a 2 channel that puts out at least 120x2 and youre all set!

• bam88
    edited November 2004
    Any amps you might recomend? Id like to go with the 4channel by the way.
  • Joelsbass
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by bam88
    So you think that will be enough mids and highs for the truck?

**** yes it will, i have had so many people get into my truck and be shocked that all i have is front speakers... trust me they'll get loud and produce good bass at that, the woofers handle low end realy well and you could probably run the x-over for them all the way down to 60hz and not have a problem...

as for the amp i'd stick with the 4ch you're already planing on, it'll sound great with those components, just run the fronts to the xover that comes with the components and run the tweeters from that, set your x-over for the rears to hp (high pass, allows frequencies higher than the xover point) and somewhere between 50 and 80 hz for the mid-woofers, should sound absolutely great!!!

• bam88
    edited November 2004
    I found that the hifonics NX880 builtin crossover goes up to 30,000mhz on the hipass unless im reading it wrong.
    Which is probably the case :) heres the link to the last years 4channel amp from hifonics

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13125

Let me know what ya think.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Personally Im not a big fan of Hifonics but everybody else on here is so theyre all wrong!! :D

As far as amp choices go it depends on how much youre wanting to spend. If youre looking to go as high as $425 then check out this Polk 400.4 which was designed specifically for the MM6. It has all the proper x-overs and will work perfect.

Below that I always recommend either MTX or Crossfire. Both are competition level amps, are overbuilt and make plenty of good clean power and can be had for $350 or less.

• bam88
    edited November 2004
    Did ya look at the link I put up in the last post what do you think of that one aside of being a hifonics amp?
  • bam88
    edited November 2004
    Good amp for $200-250 that will run those mm6 without using the crosover that comes with it. Anyone got any ideas?
    I was thinking Hifonics NX880 but im not even sure if it will run the mm6 without the crossover. The specs on the site are limited.

http://www.onlinecarstereo.com/CarAudio/ProductDetail.aspx?ProductID=13125

Maybe someone that speaks a lil amplifier lingo can tell if the built in crossover will take the place of the one that comes with the mm6?
  • Joelsbass
    edited November 2004
    it doesn't give any info on what ranges the xover covers, all it says is that the amps overall frequency response goes up to 30khz (highest frequency that the amp is capable of playing) you don't need an amp that can do away with the MM6's xover all together, just keep the xover for them for the tweets and run the woofers straight off of the amp

• bam88
    edited November 2004
    Kewl thanks! Joelsbass.
  • bam88
    edited November 2004
    Need some honest technical opinions on MA Audio Amps I am now looking at the HK-597 model looks good to me and its a fairly decent price. Good or Bad I would appreciate all tecnical opinions or personal experiences with MA audio.
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    There is nothing wrong with using the MM6 x-over. It is made out of quality material and is designed specifically for the best SQ performance from the speakers. There is really no reason for you to be wanting to bypass them.