A peek inside......

Options
F1nut
F1nut Posts: 49,794
edited November 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
......the power supply unit. I wanted to Dynamat the insides and snapped this before hand.
Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

Post edited by F1nut on

Comments

• newsman
    newsman Posts: 198
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Umm, what are we looking at ?
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by newsman
    Umm, what are we looking at ?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • hotwheelman
    hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
    edited November 2004
    Options
    External power supply for a piece of f1's equipment.
    "Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
    "Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    Options
    ...A perfectly good peice of gear, the 'before' picture, if you will.

Ps Audio?
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Sorry guys, it's the PSU of the Tri-Vista.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm happy to see you are making an attempt at taking your equipment up to a new level. Too often people just consider it good enough. (which yours is, by the way). :)
    You might want to try sitting a magic brick on top of it too.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • Mazeroth
    Mazeroth Posts: 1,585
    edited November 2004
    Options
    What's the benefit of Dynamatting it?
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Hey Jesse,

You got screwed - all they put in there was a couple of big fender washers and some wire! :D:D:D

Truly an awe inspring system. Quit effin' with it!

Mike
  • madmax
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Mazeroth
    What's the benefit of Dynamatting it?

The cabinent has a resonance to it. For example if you tap a panel it will ring at a given frequency. When that frequency comes through the speakers (from the source material) it also makes the case ring. If the case rings it can be induced into the transformer or other parts, which goes on to the rest of the electronics and eventually out of the speakers as a dynamic distortion. Lowering the resonant freq by adding weight typically helps. Dyna mat is especially nice because it not only lowers the freq, it damps it as well.

BTW F1,
    I think I noticed a little noise which may have been induced this way when I spent the evening there. I didn't mention it because it was so small and un-objectionable and never considerered you would ever want to open up the equipment. The frequency was maybe around 5Khz or so. Very minor indeed. If you damp everything I can listen again. ;) Remember I said something about my system not having some sound yours did? That was it. Of course this very small thing was hardly worth mentioning.

madmax

• F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Mike, yeah I'd been meaning to look inside just to see what weighed 36lbs. I think you're right, I got screwed. ;)

Chuck, great explanation. I could see your face twist around that frequency, so I had to do something about it. ;) Next time you're over let me know if it's gone. I also added Dnyamat to all the mid driver baskets and the PR's too. That did make a noticable difference. Tell me more about the magic brick.

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited November 2004
    Options
    The magic brick is a wood covered block of ferrous (sp) material. It is very heavy which helps lower resonance of the panel it sits on but the real beauty is that it helps beef up a transformer if you sit it on top. What I find is sometimes it makes something sound better when you sit it in a particular spot but the good sound stays after you remove it. It's fairly repeatable sometimes, other times you cannot tell a difference. Still haven't figured it out totally.

Did you do the integrated and CD player? I think that would be the major upgrade because of the tubes in the int and the CD/laser vibrations due to the case resonance. Another cool thing I've seen is sometimes people pull the pc boards loose, measure and fit a wood frame around it (like a picture) and re-mount it. The wood changes the resonance of the PC board. Of course we are talking MF stuff here, no need to turn it into a contraption. :)
    madmax

• F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Hmmm....Ima gonna look into this brick. No, I didn't do the other stuff as the cases seem fairly dead already.

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited November 2004
    Options
    VPI makes the brick. AudioAdvisor used to carry them but I don't see them there now. A used one comes up on Audiogon but it already sold for $55. I bought mine used for $60. I would still do a patch of Dynamat on the inside of the other cases. What I like to do is cut out the patch that says "Dynamat" and stick that on the cover. (not centered though). If you center it you can cause more problems than if it is offset one way or the other. (multiple places will have the same resonance if centered).
    madmax

• F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    LOL.....ok, got it......never on center.

President of Club Polk

• madmax
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I know, I know, I think about this stuff too much. :)
    madmax

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Hey Max...

Would you dynamat my cddddddd player?
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Jesse,

Did you take any "after" pics?

Mike
  • madmax
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    Hey Max...

Would you dynamat my cddddddd player?

It wont stick to anything that has armor-all on it...

madmax

• F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Mike, no I didn't...don't like to give out my trade secrets.

President of Club Polk

• VR3
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by madmax
    It wont stick to anything that has armor-all on it...

madmax

Thats good, because this hasnt ever been armor-alled :)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • madmax
    edited November 2004
    Options
    It's easy enough to do. The main thing is to get a piece under the drive (on the cabinent) so the drive resonance is lower and then on the top cover so it doesn't ring. You can also tap around and find other places that have a resonance. The other fun thing to do is get blue or yellow tac and put it around the drive wherever it looks appropriate.
    madmax

• VR3
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Sounds interesting enough, one of these days I will pop the hood and take some pics for you to show me (being the visual person I am)

My CDP is a 5 disc changer though...tons of noise there just due to that fact...lol
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Options
    FWIW, I Dynamatted the **** outta the Sony ES 5 spinner in the shop rig...did it help? Somewhat.

President of Club Polk