BAD workmenship=broken crossover

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
ok so about 5 months i bought the 6.5 polk DB components and now on of the things on the crossover has come unconnected from the circut board. ill post a pic in a little while.. what can i do about this
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited November 2004
    if you got it from an authorized dealer you can send it in to polk and they'll fix it...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,804
    edited November 2004
    "one of the things has come unconnected from the circuit board"

Yeah, Polk has bad workmanship on thier circuit boards and I'm the queen of Spain. With a statement like the one quoted above I find it hard to believe that you are qualified in any way to comment on the build quality of Polk Audio crossover circuitry.

How do you know that installations wasn't what caused it to go bad?

Anyway, call Polk Audio. There is customer service info all over this website.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited November 2004
    ok i put it in and it didnt go bad...the freaking pin broke off...ive been using it for like 5 months fine and now it broke off...i took it apart and soldered it back together myself though
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2004
    it's interesting to note that, without any response, you figured out you could solder it all by youself... in less than 24 hours...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • shortyguitars
    shortyguitars Posts: 3
    edited November 2004
    i had exactly the same prob. with mine. the solder joint to the midbass broke loose. ya couldn't tell till ya grabbed the resistor and wiggled it. if ya look at the solder joint in good light you will prob. see what looks lie a circle around the wire. if ya wiggle it it will move in and out.
    i don't have a clue as to why, the solder joint nice and shiny good solder job. just broke loose. i bought mine at circuit city and they wanted me to take the components out of the doors, frt stage, and send them to the repair department to see if they were bad. heck ya could hear them come on and stop when you moved the wire.
    they told me that it would be a couple weeks before i would know what they would do about it. in the meantime i was out of jams.
    well i thought about it for about 2 minutes and told the service writer that he wouldn't have to worry about it because i would repair the bad joint. at which point he informed me that my warranty , which i had extended to 2 yrs. was null and void. that if i touched em that was it.
    well to make a sad story short, i repaird the speaker myself, still working fine almost a year later thank you very much. and i informed the gentilman that i wouldn't be back. and i haven't! i checked my bills from them and in the last 3 years i've spent around 7000 dollars at their store on audio equip. for the car.
    now i purchase at pied piper or online. circuit city has seen the last dime from me or any of my friends, family, or people that i install for. this little bull s move cost them around 5000 dollars a year all told, wonder if they think that it was worth it?
    but back to the polk's they are a really great sounding speaker for the money and i still purchase their equip. heck can't get it right all the time!
    just take the circuit board out of the box and closely lookat all the solder joints. they should all be nice and shiny and have no rough spots on em. when you find the bad joint just mark it with a sharpie, fire up the old soldering iron and resolder it. i haven't had any problems since.
    richard c westfall
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2004
    Did you have them do the install in the first place? If not then they won't take them out for you. But they would have shipped them for free. I don't even see why they couldn't get you a new set...

but I highly doubt we are needing your 5k anyways. we'll pick it up from a few stupid teenagers along the way i'm sure.

love... forever and for always

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • shortyguitars
    shortyguitars Posts: 3
    edited November 2004
    no i do all my own installs. been doing them for folks for around 15 years. my dad was an electronics tech and i learned from him and inthe army. its amazing how far tech. has came since the 70's . heck the sys. in my car couldn't even be built more then 10 or 12 years ago. time align. parametric eq, the freq. responce of a c.d?
    heck i can remember when there was only am radio and a good home sys. was worse then the factory installed radio in a car is today.
    but , back to the subject, bad service and word of mouth have killed more businesses then any other thing in this world. one mad cust. tells there friends and they tell there's . its something any business should try very hard to avoid.
    i've been around the audio industry for over 30 years and it has never been better. but sometimes , in this crazy hustle and bussel, we forget about the little guy. we forget that the little guy gives us our paycheck. and even more important than that is the little guy has friends who have friends .
    all in all this is a crazyer world then the one that i grew up in . viet nam was nothing compared to todays problems. and if folks don't stop once in a while and concider what there actions will cause , well , remember sgt. kelly, he followed orders did his job, maybe a little too enthus. about it. , but look at what happened over that little fiasco.
    polk has great stuff. i've installed a few thousand dollars worth of it in mine and my daughters, and others , cars and it can't be beat! sorry if you folks thought that i was bad mouthing polk .
    well gotta go , cust. has a wiring prob. in his toyota , catch ya on the flip.
    oh , ya, have a nice day and burn another cd for me.:) :)
    richard c westfall
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2004
    I know at my cc they look at the receipt and if they don't see install they refrain from giving you full fledged support... which is retarded. But i'm not the boss, nor would I want to be!

adam
    cats.vans.bag...