listening to my options

spwuinmk67
spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
So today I went around the county, stopping at a few different audio shops. The one I was mainly looking for, happened to shut down about a year ago, and nobody noted this. So I find another shop, which sells JL, Orion, some MB Q, Kenwood, and a few others. I tell the manager that as soon as I sell my stuff, which should be maybe the first or second weekend in Dec., I'll be looking to buy a new component set, and that I had wanted to listen and test my options. He tells me that he doesn;t have most of the higher end stuff in the sound board, due to the fact that he doesn't want people coming in and messing around with them, then be in the hole $800 or whatever for the busted speakers. That's understandable, but then he goes on to say that he has the JL XR's installed in his car, and if I want, I can take a listen. Alrighty, I go and listen to a variety of different things, and they sounded wonderfull. Being the manager, he had a full coustom install for everything, but none the less, these speakers sounded great. There was something I'm not too sure I liked. Not only was his components JL's, but his rear door speakers were, he had 2 W6's in the trunk, all his amps were JL, along with everything else JL offers I'm sure, including wires. He was also sporting a JL jacket, and says that his employee's for the most part run JL, and that the install they're doing right now, is with JL gear. In this convo, he goes on to tell me how the install he mentioned, is a redo of a previous set-up by another shop, I'm not sure all of the gear that was in it, but I know the amps were Crossfire, and that the whole system sounded horrible, no matter how it was tuned, and that the amps were of bad quality, nothing good, etc. He was really pushing these JL XR's on me. While they sounded great, I'm not too fond of everything being JL. Not sure how to take this exactly...
1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
MB Quart QSD216
in need of amps and subs

Home:
52" Sharp Aquos
PolkAudio Monitor 10's
Harmon Kardon HK3375
Xbox 360
PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
Post edited by spwuinmk67 on

Comments

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2004
    hmmm...I dunno; don't think I've ever heard any JL speakers.

I can certainly understand not wanting to have your 'nice' speakers messed up by some kid, but you do have to have your stuff out so it can be listened to. I don't think Now! AudioVideo ever had much of a problem with stuff getting messed up....
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    the XR series are good speakers--i even considered buying them instead of my diamonds
    they are basically equal to my diamonds, but with more midbass
    the XRs are 1 of the 2 things id ever recommend from JL
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    First off the XR's are awesome speakers. Sweet midrange with great midbass. The tweeter is very good but not the best out there.

The MB Quart is a smidge more detailed than the XR but has less midbass. It has a more natural sound. The Premium series from Quart is more of a match but theyre $550 as opposed to the $375 XR's.

Second, this guy sounds like the typical dimwit that works in these places. You cant trust a word they say. Theyre worse than Circuit City salesmen. When somebody carries a brand, he has to buy a certain amount in order to keep their contract so apparantly he has to buy more JL stuff than anything else so naturally he's going to push the **** out of it.

Ive also noticed that whenever a brand drops a shop, they usually get pissed off and start trashing the brand. A shop in Texas that used to carry MB Quart and PPI but got dumped by them so now when you go in there they badmouth PPI and MBQ!!

Plus, Crossfire amps kick ****! Ive got two and theyre clean and powerul. If they sucked then Mobile Entertainmend would occasionally use them to test speakers now would they??
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    After hearing them, they're definatly an option, but this guys attitude just bugged me, almost made me walk out before hearing them. He also didn't seem very knowledgable about other brands, even some better ones. He had a set of Boston components that I would've liked to hear, but they were just in a display case. I like the fact that the XR's also come in a 3-way system as well, but the RMS is only 70 watts. Which if thats for the whole 3-way, or even 2-way, system then that works out to be like 25 watts each speaker. Thats not a lot, if its 70 per component, 210 per system, then thats a different story.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited November 2004
    Any reputable shop that Ive been in has had thier Hi-end stuff on the board...with the exception of Dynaudio...they only sold em when asked about them. Personally....sounds like a crock of b.s. and he's just sellin JL. I'm really not a big fan of JL. Decent stuff at a price. Best bet is to shop around and find some other brands to compare. One thing to consider. What was his real install like? I mean where his doors poded...did he have floor pods? dynamated? these all make a diff. And what sounds good in one vehicle...wont necessarily sound good in another...
    happy hunting
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    His install was very nice and very clean. Dynamat everywhere, the mid's were concealed behind the doors, but said that they were installed very secure, sealed from the chance of any water getting in, I don't remember him saying if they were 'glassed in there or not, but his subs were. And I do realize what sounds good in one won't sound good in another, which is why I'm trying to find other places and take a listen to multiple different set-ups and speakers.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• Thom
    Thom Posts: 723
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod

Second, this guy sounds like the typical dimwit that works in these places. You cant trust a word they say. Theyre worse than Circuit City salesmen. When somebody carries a brand, he has to buy a certain amount in order to keep their contract so apparantly he has to buy more JL stuff than anything else so naturally he's going to push the **** out of it.

That is a possibilty, but another is that he stands behind the brand. JL got to be the most desired brand by making people happy. When I sold it in retail we never had people come back unhappy with the product, just for the occasional blown woofer. It could be that they never have problems with JL so they push that first and hope that the customer is pleased.

...or it could be that he's direct with them and trans- ships other products so he makes more money on the JL stuff, and has to sell a certain amount of it.
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by Thom
    That is a possibilty, but another is that he stands behind the brand. JL got to be the most desired brand by making people happy. When I sold it in retail we never had people come back unhappy with the product, just for the occasional blown woofer. It could be that they never have problems with JL so they push that first and hope that the customer is pleased.

...or it could be that he's direct with them and trans- ships other products so he makes more money on the JL stuff, and has to sell a certain amount of it.
    or it could be they just hired the guy off the street and has heard JL was good so thats what he indorses
    JL got to be the most desired brand by marketing, much like bose
    dont get me wrong, theyre not bad equipment, when they were first starting out they had good stuff at a great price, those times are long gone now though
    good to hear from you thom--i thought you guys disappeared
    and compliments to whoever banned ronald...great freakin job
    -Cody
  • Thom
    edited November 2004
    But how many guys off the street end up with a full- blown system?

I've known guys who installed for years and had ****, if any, systems in their cars.

I'm sure he got some kind of accom. pricing and that played a part of his decision, but he could still like JL even if he's been in the industry for 20 years.

Some people say our amps are overpriced, but that's coming from one perspective. I remember spending $1,000 on a PPI 50 watt x 4 amplifier back in '96. Our 75 watt x 4 (90 + watts per channel, really) is less than hlaf that, so it seems cheap to me.

Audiobahn and the other flea- market **** ruined everything...
  • Thom
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    -i thought you guys disappeared
    and compliments to whoever banned ronald...great freakin job
    -Cody

It was only due to a misunderstanding that he wasn't banned sooner, but I'm not capable of it...
  • -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited November 2004
    Yeah we have a zero tolerance policy with troublemakers now, so please let me know immediately.

Please note that I’ll follow these rules very strictly should I see a problem: Forum Rules

Thanks,
    ~Justin
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Aw, I liked ole Ronnie boy. Ya just gotta laugh at morons like that, you cant let em piss you off.

My problem with shop salesmen is you cant trust them at all. Another example is my local Alpine shop, that has carried Alpine gear for as long as I can rember isnt carrying them anymore. When I asked why they claimed "cause Alpine is making junk now". V12 amps and Type X speakers are junk? :rolleyes: Oh give me a freaking break! I guaran-damn-tee ya they had a falling out with Alpine so now theyre trashing them.

Also, in the entire Chattanooga area only one shop has their speakers setup for demo. Audio Visions. They have their Diamond speakers setup not to mention a Chevy Tahoe demo with Diamond speakers and subs and Eclipse amps. But other than that they have nothing. You have to go to Tweeter to hear good speakers.

I will still support my local dealers but I will no longer put any stock in which brand the clerk likes best. I will however take his advice on installation and tweaking techniques. I still find theyre usually a lot more knowledgable than me.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Aw, I liked ole Ronnie boy.
    Only cause he liked JL too.:D
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    LOL!!! Hey, Im outnumbered 2 to 1 on here so I need all the allies I can get, even the nitwits! :D

• Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited November 2004
    6) Do not brand bash. We're all in this together. Discuss what you like and dislike. But don't bash someone or something because you don't like it.

can we make exceptions for sony and bose?? :p
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    and MacLeod and JL?:D
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    the XR series are good speakers--i considered buying them instead of my diamonds
    they are basically equal to my diamonds, but with more midbass

-Cody

Progress at last! :p:p:p

• exalted512
    edited November 2004
    dont make me put that quote back in the signature;)
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    LOL! Where do ya think I learned that from??

Besides, we all know MB Quart really rules! :eek:

• exalted512
    edited November 2004
    when i get my DLS...itll put em to shame
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2004
    Who are you getting your DLS stuff from?
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    dave stacy
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited November 2004
    I was just wondering. I knew someone who used to (or still might) trans-ship DLS.
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited November 2004
    I'd put $100 down that he'll still sell that line of stuff even though he'll probably hop over to a new company with this new 240SX.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Boy, DLS sure seems to be all the rage lately. Ive never heard them and there isnt a dealer anywhere near me but theyre popping up all over other forums as the baddest boys on the block.

Me, Ill stick with Polk, Quart and JL. Tried and true. :D