So I didn't buy the Jolida...

Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited November 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
...Instead, I rolled the dice and bought a no-name brand tube CD player made in China from a guy in the US who distributes them. The guy's company is Specialty Audio Source (SAS) and he sells them on ebay and audiogon. The cost is $500 vs. the $900 I planned on spending for the modded Jolida that I really wanted. There's a 30 day money back guarantee, so I figured I'd give it a try. The player arrived today and here are my first impressions:

The CD player arrived double boxed. It's 18 lbs. and appears to be well built. The transport is definitely high quality. It opens slowly and smoothly. It comes with gold-plated connectors, remote control, and generic power cord, but no manual. This CD player replaces a Cambridge Audio 640C CD player. This is my first tube purchase.

I popped in a few of my favorite selections and listened. One thing that was readily apparent was this CD player has a cleaner sound than the Cambridge Audio. This allows for a bit more detail to shine through. Instruments sounded slightly more natural. The soundstage widened, too, although for my room and listening preferences, I kinda like the soundstage to be a little more compressed. The bass is about the same for both units. Here's what won me over -- when I listened to one of favorite songs by Dianne Reeves, the music was more captivating. I can't really explain it, but it appeared to be more emotionally impactful than I ever heard it before. Simply stated, it put a smile on my face. I expect everything to sound better over time due to break-in.

Bottom line -- I like it and plan to keep it for a long time. It is not exponentially better than the Cambridge Audio because the CA is an excellent CD player. However, the SAS CD player is definitely considered an upgrade for me. I have already ordered some GE 5670 tubes to replace the stock 6N3 tube. Based on other owners, this tube replacement really improves the sound in every way. Is it as good as the Jolida 100? Hell, I don't know. It would be nice to do an A/B test someday to see what I may or may not be missing, but right now I'll just enjoy my music.

Preamp - Musical Fidelity A3CR
Amp - ODL (Odyssey) Stratos
Speakers - Polk Lsi7's
Sub - Onix Rocket UFW-10
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited November 2004
    How about a pic brotha?
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2004
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Early B.
    edited November 2004
    Yeah, it's got HDCD. Forgot to mention that the remote is barely OK, but like most remotes, you'll want to get something else. Listened to it again since I made my initial comments and I'm becoming more impressed. This time I listened to a digitally remastered CD and the instruments are nearly true to life.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2004
    Congratulations! sounds great

does it just play cds? or will it play SACDs, too?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited November 2004
    Looks good and great specs! definitely wait til the tubes have some time on them then give us your impressions.
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2004
    Thanks for the link Russ.

I believe that would be an upgrade from my Cal CL20. I need to find a way to explain why burned copies will never sound as good as the original. That said, my Cal is the reference but I need a good univerasal transport.

I have cages but great components are a mandate if I go DIY. Time I have will determine a purchase or not.

twin
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Early B.
    edited November 2004
    I am definately interested to hear your impressions as that player matures.

Yeah, I'll let you know in about a month or so. By then, I will have changed out the tube.

I plan on taking a break from audio for a while, and that includes visiting with you guys on this forum. I have some priorities that need attending to. I'm also not going to buy any more audio gear for a few months. Just need to enjoy what I have and not spend any more money. Need to save up for the bottomless money pit called, "home improvements." Damn.

• HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by Early B.

I plan on taking a break from audio for a while, and that includes visiting with you guys on this forum. I have some priorities that need attending to. I'm also not going to buy any more audio gear for a few months. Just need to enjoy what I have and not spend any more money. Need to save up for the bottomless money pit called, "home improvements." Damn.

and your point is?
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Two things:

1.) That SAS is not ugly enough to be a Chinese tube CDP; and

2.) I call dibs on Henry's Cal Lab... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by Early B.
    Forgot to mention that the remote is barely OK, but like most remotes, you'll want to get something else.
    Sorry for the derail Early but do you know of any universal remotes that work with the MF A3cr preamp? I got one last week and the remote is PATHETIC, just in case I decide to keep the MF I'd probably like a more sturdy remote...

oh, forgot to mention. I wouldn't want to pay more than $20 or so on a remote... Thanks!
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2004
    Tryrrthg-
    Do you have the original A3CR remote? Would you like to sell it? I've got the A3.2CR remote that controls everything "MF" and have been looking for just the preamp remote...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited November 2004
    If you want a good, cheap universal remote, go with the Sony

RMVL700 or RMVL900

They are both learning remotes(under $20 shipped) so you can program the buttons you want to the new remote from your old remote.

They are refurbished, but the four I have purchased for other people have worked fine so far.

This thread is where I posted this first: http://clubpolk.polkaudio.com/forum/showthread.php?s=&threadid=23081
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    I call dibs on Henry's Cal Lab... :D

Oh yeah, well I call dibs on Zero's SAS! :D
    Make it Funky! :)
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,782
    edited November 2004
    I second the Sony RMVL900, great remote.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• tryrrthg
    edited November 2004
    Thanks for the remote suggestions guys!
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Tryrrthg-
    Do you have the original A3CR remote? Would you like to sell it? I've got the A3.2CR remote that controls everything "MF" and have been looking for just the preamp remote...
    Steve, I wouldn't sell the remote without having an MF remote to replace it. If I ever decide to sell the preamp I'd want an MF remote to go with it...
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    Did it come with a schematic, or a block diagram? A *single* 6N3 is kinda different, I'd love to see the circuit layout.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • steveinaz
    edited November 2004
    Thats cool. I was just curious because my MF didn't come w/remote, so after months of internet surfing, I found an MF authorized dealer in Georgia. They didn't have the A3CR remote, but did have the A3.2CR remote for $60 bucks, so I bought one. It controls everything though, tuner, pre, cd player, etc.
  • tryrrthg
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by steveinaz
    Thats cool. I was just curious because my MF didn't come w/remote, so after months of internet surfing, I found an MF authorized dealer in Georgia. They didn't have the A3CR remote, but did have the A3.2CR remote for $60 bucks, so I bought one. It controls everything though, tuner, pre, cd player, etc.
    I wouldn't bother tyring to find one. The remote is a CHEAP! MF obviously put the money into the preamp and made the remote as cheap as possible!
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    Believe me, the first thing I did with my MF gear was to program a Sony RMVL-900 and put the MF remotes back in the boxes.

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited November 2004
    Awesome! Can't wait to read the review. Never heard a tube cd player before. This one looks very cool and classy. I'm planning to get a pair of Maggies within 6 months but the low price of this unit is really making me think.

Russ,
    Do you know if the 6N3 is a pentode or triode signal tube? Just thought it would be interesting in my rig to have pure triode from source to amplification. There's just something about the triode sound. I'm so enjoying the Dyna triode strapped. The sound is liquid smooth and vocals sound so real. And this is with a SS pre. I'm going to freak when I hear a SET pre in the chain:D.

Maurice
  • newsman
    newsman Posts: 198
    edited November 2004
    It looks like they are using Denon 2900 DVD chassis for the CD player (possibly transport as well)
  • F1nut
    edited November 2004
    The Denon 2900, http://www.usa.denon.com/catalog/photo.asp?s=home&p=DVD-2900%20&f=DVD%202900%20Front.jpg&c=4

and the SAS, http://www.specialtyaudiosource.com/page3.html

"Our Compact Disc Players are built by hand. No remake of a mass produced chassis here. Hand built with high quality custom parts from heavily constructed power transformers, Sonicaps, genuine Phillips Disc Mechanism"

They don't look the same to me.

President of Club Polk

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited November 2004
    It would be crazy for a "high end manufacturer" to flat out utilize a stock chassis right? Perhaps tweak a stock chassis? It happens ALL the time.

Most transports come from run of the mill, Best Buy/Circuit City, manufacturers....wake up America. Get your research above and beyond a google sniff someday.

It's all in what you do with it afterwards. A transport isn't rocket science.

If you want to spend high dollar on something, then just freaking do it. Does one really have to prove the spending of money? Isn't it all in the ear of the beholder?

No offense meant, it's just a statement of fact.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.