Alarms

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
So yea.... I'm thinking of getting an alarm to keep my car and system company... I was looking at the viper 791xv w/ remote start. Anyone have any suggestions, my mom keeps saying "that's what insurance is for" but I don't want to see my sub, amp and HU in the pawn shop later on down the road.

my car doesn't sit out too often, but sometimes I have to let it sit whenever I go and stay in the city. I got an installation quote from BB today and they said 590... is this something I should let best buy do, or go somewhere else with more professional people working?

or do you think it is "what my insurance is for"? please help....

I've decided I'm going to accumulate everything for my system then install it. And by the time I get it all it will be in time for spring!!!!!! so yea gimme some more help guys!
thanksth!!!!

-adam
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    does ur insurance know about your system?
    if not, let em know or else it wont be covered
    also, alarms can give you discounts on your insurance
    id shop around first, the price from best buy seems kind of high but you might need some special adapters or something for your specific vehicle
    i dont know too much about alarms but i do know viper is a good brand
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    edited November 2004
    I've shopped around and the 791 is the one I'm looking @... My mgr. at cc has it and says it's great. My ins. does know about my sys. or that It's going to be in there and the full coverage covers whatever's stolen.

I'm just really iffy about letting Best Buy **** w/ my car... same with CC and I work there. If we had viper at cc i'd prolly let them do it though... but we have code alarm.

I'm open to any and all suggestions besides "do it yourself". :p

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited November 2004
    Installing an alarm is something I'd stay away from. I got one a few months ago, its an Audiovox Prestige . Remote start, alarm, keyless entry, for under $200. It probably won't be as good as the viper I'm sure, but it does the job. One suggestion I would make, unless maybe it's just my car, have them turn the sensitivity down a tad. Sometimes when I start my car, the alarm goes off. But like I said, it could just be my car, or maybe the stereo isn't off or low enough and it's the bass, not sure. But its a suggestion, I paid a total of like $350 for the unit and install.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • swerve
    edited November 2004
    I don't plan on installing it myself.... that stuff scares me too death. I'll look into audiovox.

thanks

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited November 2004
    No problem, I'm pretty fond of the two-way remote...
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited November 2004
    Maybe it's just me, but I'm more of the "that's what insurance is for" mindset. Here's my reasoning.

First: I'm with AllState. Comprehensive insurance claims don't affect my monthly payments. Also, with a $100 deductible, I'm pretty good as far as this goes.

Second: My car already has a passive 'alarm' that goes off if the doors are opened. If someone is going to break in, I figure they'll have to open the doors anyway so my factory "alarm" will go off.

Third: No matter what alarm you have, by the time it goes off, either your lock mechanism, your window, or your trunk lock will be broken. By the time you get that fixed, your deductible is gone, so you might as well let them take what they want and use this opportunity to upgrade to newer stuff, thanks to insurance.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    ok say u dont have an alarm and they just rip out everything
    literally rip out
    this means you will not have a vehicle for days to weeks while its getting repaired, having to go through all the extra work, then have to buy new stuff and reinstall it
    ill stick to having an alarm
    you do however need to find out your insurances policy on things like your stereo, they might have to have pictures of whats installed on file to cover it
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it