Sound Deadening Install Pics (Finally)

Options
AustinKP
AustinKP Posts: 861
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I finally got around to getting some SecondSkin Spectrum V.2 from Ant since it was such a good deal. I got 2 gallons for just under $100 shipped. According to Ant, 1 gallon is worth 40 sq ft of the Damplifier mat, so it costs approximately half of what the mat does with the same coverage/dampening.

After painting about 5-7 coats in my trunk, I'm pretty impressed with the Spectrum. It's quite thick, so it goes on very easily with a paintbrush with very little drippage/running. Just don't get too lazy, or it will run a bit, as you can see in the last picture in the spare tire well.

Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

**EDIT** My stupid computer is still down, so here's a link to all the pictures. MANY thanks to Neo...
Pics here
-Austin
http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
Post edited by AustinKP on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    Options
    cardomain?
    when i get my next truck i plan on using that everywhere that i can get the mat into
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by AustinKP
    I finally got around to getting some SecondSkin Spectrum V.2 from Ant since it was such a good deal. I got 2 gallons for just under $100 shipped. According to Ant, 1 gallon is worth 40 sq ft of the Damplifier mat, so it costs approximately half of what the mat does with the same coverage/dampening.

After painting about 5-7 coats in my trunk, I'm pretty impressed with the Spectrum. It's quite thick, so it goes on very easily with a paintbrush with very little drippage/running. Just don't get too lazy, or it will run a bit, as you can see in the last picture in the spare tire well.
    prep.jpg
    prep2.jpg
    Here's after I started the 1st coat
    begin%201st%20coat.jpg
    These are after mainly finishing 2 coats. I hadn't completely gotten the rear quarter panels yet.
    trunk%202%20coats%202.jpg
    trunk%202%20coats%203.jpg
    Let me know what you think and if you have any questions.

**EDIT** I'm installing Linux to do a dual-boot on my machine that these pictures are hosted on, so I apologize if the links don't work. Plus, even when they are working, my uploads are capped at 256Kb, so it'll be slow. Anyone else w/ more bandwidth want to host these?

-Austin
    if you want i can host some pictures for you... i have like 50 mb free.
    cats.vans.bag...
  • AustinKP
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Neo will host a few for me. Thanks for the offer swerve. I started installing Linux last night, only to find out that my 1st install CD was corrupt AFTER I wiped out my master boot partition. Now, I can't even boot into Windows, so I need to make another CD at work today.
    Cody - if it were me, I'd do as much as I can w/ the Spectrum, then do the damplifier only on plastic, etc where the spectrum won't stick. This, because you get the same coverage and damping for half the price. Ant will have good advice for you. He's very friendly and VERY helpful on the phone. EXCELLENT customer service! I very highly recommend SecondSkin to anyone.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    Options
    but damplifier has more mass than the spectrum, therefore making it better
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Not according to Ant. I was just quoting him. One gallon (covering 40 sq ft) is as good as 40 sq ft of damplifier, making it the same coverage/damping for half the price. Now, I'm not an expert by any stretch of the imagination. You'd best talk to Ant himself, but if they provide the same effect, I'd definitely go w/ the cheaper option myself.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    Options
    im guessing he meant it would cover as much as, not it would do the same job as, otherwise you wouldnt see so much mats and a lot more liquids
    you cant fake mass, damplifier has it, liquid doesnt--and mass, along with a few other factors, is what sound deadening has its basis on
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited November 2004
    Options
    No, I specifically asked because I wanted to make sure he wasn't just talking about coverage. And that gallon of stuff is pretty heavy. I don't know what the damplifier weighs, but the weight for the two gallons shipped was 24 pounds. That means they weight at least 10-11 pounds per gallon. Water is only 8 lbs/gallon.

My guess as to why mats are more common than liquids is mainly that the liquids previously were way behind, and they didn't stick as well. They have come a long way though, and their new formula is supposed to be pretty awesome.

--edit-- Mass isn't the only factor though. Otherwise you could just paint on another gallon of normal paint. Mass is important, but perhaps more importantly, the ability of the damper to convert vibrations into other forms of energy - namely low-level heat.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Yeah, austin's right, the conversion is what matters, as well as the mass. to make a long story short:
    when apllied in equal thickness our liquid damper, Spectrum is cheaper, better and lighter than any other mat ont he market, including our military grade Damplifier PRO.
    from secondskin's faq.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    Options
    i asked ant about this yesterday and he said:
    A lot of peopl dont like to wait 24 hours for the product to dry. especially car audio shops. They would rather lay th mat down then start ont he wires rather than spray, wait a day then start on the wires. with the mats you can get right in on top of the stuff.

Damplifier and Damplifier pro also have a foil heat shield which Spectrum does not. the foil can be used as a radiant barrier on the hood or engine side fire wall to reflect radiant heat away from the cabin.

WIth Damplifier there is no need to mask off the areas you dont want overspray to get on, and it is awesome for plastic, which spectrum is not..

plus, a lot of peopl dont trust the water based elastomers yet, so they feel their money is better spent on mats. We are happy to provide this option to them.

guess ill be going with spectrum for the entire floor and walls...lol
    -Cody
  • AustinKP
    edited November 2004
    Options
    OK...pics are back up! Thanks again Neo.
    -Austin

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Looks good...I had a question, but I can't remember it at the moment.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm really interested in purchasing some of this. Do you have an update on how it performs?
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • AustinKP
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Sorry it took me a while...I've been in Missouri since last Tuesday for Thanksgiving, and just got home last night. Unfortunately, I don't yet have a sub. I guess I'm waiting for the Koda 12 to come out. I have noticed a marked difference in the volume of road and exhaust noise though. It is definitely quieter now, and I haven't even had time to finish painting it all in. I've used about 3/4 of a gallon, and have about another 3/4 to go. It'll take about 1/4 gallon per door, then I'll use the rest on my trunk. I'll give a better report when I'm completely done.

Alpine 9815
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12