Decisions...decisions...

spwuinmk67
spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Okay, so this weekend I meet this really cute girl who not only is she interested in me, but also interested in buying my stereo. :) Now the money from this sale, leaves me with two options. I could a) Buy some MB Quart Q-series comps sigificatly discounted, and have a little under $300 left to get an amp, plus whatever money I have put away from work by then; or b) Buy either 1 sub and an amp, or 2 subs and no amp. Probably a Brahma or 2. Thats the first decision im not so sure about. The second would be if I went ahead and got the MB Q's and amp, they would be taunting me in my room until I got a new, worthty enough, automobile to install them in. Or I could install them in the car I have now, but the problem with that is if I do, there is no way in hell that I am just going to throw them in the stock locations, where my DX's now sit. So that would require more money and a coustom install into a car I wasn't planning on putting anymore money into. If I install them in my current car, I would have to fix all the things wrong with it, cause it would bother me having such good things in such a pos car. So I'm stuck on what to do..any thoughts?
1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
MB Quart QSD216
in need of amps and subs

Home:
52" Sharp Aquos
PolkAudio Monitor 10's
Harmon Kardon HK3375
Xbox 360
PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
Post edited by spwuinmk67 on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    The MB Quart Q is the best speaker in the world! If you can get them discounted GET IT! You can get amps and subs later but if youve got the opportunity to grab some Q's do it!

Speakers are the most important part of your system so you should get the best ones you can and you cant do better than Q.

now dont think youll have to get $1000 amp and $1000 sub to go with the Q's. You can get a couple $250 Crossfire amps and a $200 Diamond Audio sub and would have one hell of a good sounding system assuming proper installation.

In short, get the Q's! ;)
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    Not only can I get them cheap, but fully authorized. :D I just need to find a nice amp to go with them. As I said, I'll probably go with a Brahma or two in the long run. I'm also stuck on what to do when I get them. Do I let them sit there and taunt me until i get a new car/truck, or do a more coustom install in this car, and then fix everything thats wrong with it. That would require replacing the cracked winshield, getting two new struts, doing the body work, cleaning up the interior alot, and more I can't think of at the moment. I don't think I can let them taunt me for that long, which means a lot of money I wasn't planning on spending. Theres no way I'm not gonna do a real nice install for them...
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Well if you want to wait til you get a new car thats one thing but think of it this way. Once you get your new car wont it be nice to know youve got the best speakers money can buy to go in there? Drop em in and spend another $750 on amps and a sub and youll be set!

One thing tho, Quarts demand a lot of power. 125-150 is what Id recommend so youll have to buy a stout amp. Again with the Crossfires, $250 for a 50x4 that actually puts out around 65x4 would be just right.

And just to head off the "Quart sucks" crowd, Im not actually claiming the Q's are indeed the best speakers in the world. They are however my favorite.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    MB's site says their range is 90-170, think they could handle a little more? Maybe around 200 or so?
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Yes they can but I wouldnt venture much passed 150.

• spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    Hmm....alright. Now lets see what amp's I can find, either cheap online, or that I can get discounted. I love having frieds who own a shop.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    Whats the general consensus on SoundStream amps? Here's one that I could get discounted, probably to around $200 or so, maybe $250. I'm still looking, but it caught my eye...
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited November 2004
    -The Q's are great, but far from the best in the world. Remember, there are some ridiculous over the top speakers out there that cost as much as a good used car. They definitely are the best thing in Tweeter right now though (IMO)
    -Soundstream amps seem to be fussy with staying alive or dying. I've heard this from many owners.
    -Could wait until this summer for the Polk high end components ;)
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    if you can get the Qs as discount, go for it...theyre very good speakers
    as far as soundstream goes it seems theyve been having reliability issues lately...
    the human reign series still scare the crap out of me though...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    the human reign series still scare the crap out of me though...lol
    -Cody

lmao, I think theyre pretty cool. More for show maybe though. Heres the brands I can get discounted as far as amps go, anything else I would have to get online; Soundstream, RF, PG, Pioneer, Power Acoustik, JBL, umm...can't think of any others at the moment. Im out right now, so on my way home I'll stop by and see what else...
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by bknauss
    -The Q's are great, but far from the best in the world. Remember, there are some ridiculous over the top speakers out there that cost as much as a good used car.

-Could wait until this summer for the Polk high end components ;)

LMAO!! Thats a good way of putting it! $1300 for a set of speakers does seem ridiculous. However I love the way they sound. Very natural and open with good midbass, not boomy but well blended. Superior detail too.

So the new high end Polk gear is set for next summer eh? Cool!

As far as the amps youve listed, the RF Power series is excellent albeit pricey and theyre like JL; everybody has em.

I too am leary of Soundstream and I wouldnt touch Power Acoustik. Phoenix Gold has taken a downturn in build quality that makes me not like them as much and Pioneer is very basic. No headroom but good clean power nonetheless.

If I had to choose from those amps I would go with RF and get the Power series if you can swing it. Second nod would go to JBL. Both are competition level equipment.

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2004
    I too am leary of Soundstream and I would touch Power Acoustik.
    If i'm not mistaken, you meant to say "i wouldn't touch..."; just thought a clarification was in order :p.

and on the jbl - i've always been under the impression that they were a great value, but not great for high-end?
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    on the jbl - i've always been under the impression that they were a great value, but not great for high-end?

Well, tell that to Mark Eldridge or Gary Biggs. That is if you can get to them thru all their SQ trophies! ;)

JBL isnt my favorite either but I do think theyre pretty stout and I wouldnt mind having one. Ill still take an MTX or Crossfire over them and dont consider them in the same league with Orion or Xtant.

• exalted512
    edited November 2004
    JBL has really nice sub that ive seen in some competitions before--i forgot what it was called but sounded extremely good
    and $1300 isnt really that much...look at some speakers from rainbow...well into 5 grand
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited November 2004
    My advice is to hook up with the girl ;)
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by Joelsbass

Too late:D
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• exalted512
    edited November 2004
    wasnt that a given?:confused:
  • Joelsbass
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    wasnt that a given?:confused:

hell, figgured i'd state the obvious since no-one else did...

and i'm guessin by the "too late" that congrats are in order spwuinmk you pimp you, welcome to the fold lol :cool: I'm waiting to see if this brittney chick i've been talking too can impress me before i start seriously dating her... i'm a picky SOB

• spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    Thanks. It will be nothing more then hooking up, she's in Long Island, aound 2.5 hours away from me. Thats fine, her buying my stereo gives me an excuss to go up there.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    What about getting the Polk C400.4? I'd like to get as many opinions and options as I can before I decide.
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• Joelsbass
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by spwuinmk67
    Thanks. It will be nothing more then hooking up, she's in Long Island, aound 2.5 hours away from me. Thats fine, her buying my stereo gives me an excuss to go up there.

so u gonna tap that when you get there??? :cool:

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    Well, tell that to Mark Eldridge or Gary Biggs. That is if you can get to them thru all their SQ trophies! ;)

JBL isnt my favorite either but I do think theyre pretty stout and I wouldnt mind having one. Ill still take an MTX or Crossfire over them and dont consider them in the same league with Orion or Xtant.

Mark and Gary are definitely using the JBL amps and subs (GTi series), but its up for major debate as to what they use for their front stage. Lots of rumors floating around about what they "actually" use. I wouldn't be surprised if they were using speakers from another company... JBL isn't exactly known for their high end car speakers.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • spwuinmk67
    edited November 2004
    so u gonna tap that when you get there??? :cool:
    Oh you know it...;)
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

• MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Mark and Gary are definitely using the JBL amps and subs (GTi series), but its up for major debate as to what they use for their front stage. Lots of rumors floating around about what they "actually" use. I wouldn't be surprised if they were using speakers from another company... JBL isn't exactly known for their high end car speakers.

Ive heard rumors like that too. Also from what I hear they are very secretive about their setups and wont let anybody inspect them closely. I always though Biggs was using GTI 5.25's but ya never know.

• Toxis
    Toxis Posts: 5,116
    edited November 2004
    I've heard that as well... the company that comes up the most from what I've heard is ScanSpeak. Obviously no confirmation.
    Never kick a fresh **** on a hot day.

Home Setup: Sony VPL-VW85 Projo, 92" Stewart Firehawk, Pioneer Elite SC-65, PS3, RTi12 fronts, CSi5, FXi6 rears, RTi6 surround backs, RTi4 height, MFW-15 Subwoofer.

Car Setup: OEM Radio, RF 360.2v2, Polk SR6500 quad amped off 4 Xtant 1.1 100w mono amps, Xtant 6.1 to run an eD 13av.2, all Stinger wiring and Raammat deadener.