looking for advice on selection...

Big10Fan
Big10Fan Posts: 63
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey whats up, I am looking to put a system in my 03 silverado extended cab, for those unfamiliar it has 6 1/2's in the front doors and 4x6's in the rears. My main idea was to just swap the speakers to get more crankability over stock, but I heard when swapping to aftermarket I might lose bass since aftermarkets are made for clarity to be accomponied by subs...also I heard it'd be a good idea to not even touch the 4x6's in the rear doors since they are pretty useless, I've been advised to get a component system for the front powered by an external amp then I was gunna put 2 10's in the back. Well I work at circuit city and the main reason I found these forums was because i was checking out my discount on polk stuff, which is damn nice. anyways I was looking at the MMC6500 system and my original bet was to get 2 inifinity 1030w's as my subs. can anyone give me some opinions on this plan or other recommendations? I strictly want to stick with buying anything polk or anything from the circuit city website, I'm not looking to win any competitions or anything, just some decent, reliable, clean stuff. So basically looking to see if my other advice I have been getting is correct and then advice on what amp to power the components with and if anyone wants to contest the inf 1030w's I'm open for suggestions, but I need them to fit in about a .85 cubic sealed box. Anything polk and anything from CC since I get the discount. BTW how good r the polk amps compared to MTX and audiobahn?
Post edited by Big10Fan on

Comments

• Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    oh ya I'm a bit confused, when you buy a component set is that for 1 door or both doors? I'm confused on the quantity
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    Components come in pairs.

Polk amps are better than Audiobahn, better than MTX MXA series but not as good as the Thunder series.

I would definitely go with the MMC6500's they sound very good and if you can get them at a discount then all the better.

I wouldnt go with rear speakers at all. In a truck cab that small (I have a Ram Quad Cab) all theyre gonna do is smear detai, pull your soundstage to the rear and cost you more money.

Id also stick with Polk Momo subs. Theyre much better than the Infinitys unless youre going to move up to the Kappa Perfect line.

As for amps, if you can get Alpine V12's at a good price jump on them. These are about my favorite amps and believe them to be the best amps CC has EVER carried.

I would recommend getting the MMC6500 for the front and power them with either an Alpine V12 or MTX Thunder amp at around 100 watts per channel. Then get either one or two MM2124's and push them with 400 watts each and youll be set.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    oof 400 watts each? thats more money to have to spend on extra amp wattage i was looking for subs with 300 and under RMS at the most
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Thatll work. Go with a MM2104. Itll handle 300. You could also go with a single 2124. Itll handle 400 but 300 would work fine.

Check and see if you can still get those Alpine amps. Get the T340 (85x2) and the M300 (300x1) and youll be set.

Or go with the MTX Thunder342. Get a pair of those and use the 85x2 for the MMC's and the 340x1 for a single MM2124. Thatll be plenty of good clean power and will sound very good.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    I actually just found out we get all infinity car audio for way low cost also, so these are what I have to decide between:

comp sys:
    http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT6.1'&Ser=KPE&Cat=COS

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=mmc6500

Amp to power comp sys:
    http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=c300_2

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF7520A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/MTX-2-Channel-Amplifier--MXA4002-/sem/rpsm/oid/90870/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

http://www.circuitcity.com/ssm/Audiobahn-2-Channel-Amplifier--A4002T-/sem/rpsm/oid/76491/rpem/ccd/productDetail.do

Subs:
    http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT10.1'&Ser=KAP&Cat=SUB

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='KAPPA+PERFECT10.1D'&Ser=KPE&Cat=SUB

or polk MOMO 10's

Amp for 2 subs:
    this is where I need the real help, I'm not sure which would be enough for 700 total watts RMS and I dont know how ohms work, I figure 2 subs will bring it to 2 ohms? I duhno

http://www.infinitysystems.com/caraudio/product.aspx?ProdId='REF610A'&Ser=REF&Cat=AMP

http://www.polkaudio.com/car/product.php?name=c500_1

once again anything from the CC site
    http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catOid/-13095/N/20013088+20013095+390/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

Wow my ignornace towards car audio is huge, anyway I guess I'm looking at alpine H/U's without spending too much money(since I dont get the great discounts on alpine) which one would you suggest?

http://www.circuitcity.com/rpsm/catOid/-13089/N/20013088+20013089+40000191/link/ref/rpem/ccd/categorylist.do

I really appreciate it, and is this system overkill? lmao the prices are tempting, but I dont really want to blow myself away, plus will most of this stuff mix well? where it wont be too bassy or too much highs etc. I want something well balanced. Thanks guys I appreciate any further suggestions.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    well this is a polk site--so youre going to get opinions from Polk owners...hence itll be biased
    i dont like infinity speakers...they are way too high and screechy...hands down, id take polk
    as far as subs go, the perfects are really good
    ive had a lot of problems with my polk subs--i would opt for the perfects
    as far as amps go--as much as i can tell the polk amps have been really well received and dont get the credit they should be given...id go with the 300.2 for the components
    also, do you have a link to the subs youre looking at...do they make them in dual voice coils??
    the links you provided didnt work
    its not over kill at all...i think everything will balance out quite well
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited November 2004
    the 9825 or the 9827... depending on if you want mp3 support.

If you are having them install it add like 36 bucks for your kit and harnesses... other than that have funzors!!!!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    I really cant tell the difference between the 2, 1 says dual voice coil, how much and how does it affect the sound?

Also for swerve, I figure you work in car audio at CC, can you give me an idea of how much I'd be spending on wires/kits/installation, numbers with emp discount would be cool...btw am i gunna need buy a new car battery? lol this is a lot of wattage being added

bah these links rnt workin, anyways its the

kappa perfect10.1
    kappa perfect10.1d

they are the same exact price, I really dont know the difference, the 10.1d says its dual voice coil
  • swerve
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by Big10Fan
    Also for swerve, I figure you work in car audio at CC, can you give me an idea of how much I'd be spending on wires/kits/installation, numbers with emp discount would be cool...btw am i gunna need buy a new car battery? lol this is a lot of wattage being added
    [/URL]
    Yea... i'm a PS in the roadshop.
    Dunno bout the cost of install since we don't get promotions... sometimes the manager will work out a deal if you bought so much from them.

Cost of 4 Gauge Wiring Kit>> $60
    Cost of Kit >> $8
    Cost of wiring harness >> $8
    Cost of Smart Cables >> $6
    Cost of Ant. Adapter (if GM) >> around $8
    Ampsub install >> $48
    HU Install >> $40
    4 Speaker install >> $52

These are estimates based on what I've seen. Also these are after discount of course.

hope I helped to give you an estimate... let me know what you find out though.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    oof thats bringing me to $1000 cause I need 2 other special adapters for my truck...I really didnt wanna go over $800 total =\
  • swerve
    edited November 2004
    oof thats bringing me to $1000 cause I need 2 other special adapters for my truck...I really didnt wanna go over $800 total =\
    It takes time and money... get somethings now and other things later maybe? Just something to give some thought to.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    It takes time and money... get somethings now and other things later maybe? Just something to give some thought to.

-adam

It wont hurt me how I spread it, I just had an overall budget, sort of like when you say to yourself "im going car shopping for anything under 30k" and then you end up looking at 50k BMWs, lol...I guess the first system is the most expensive one? How long can I count on this stuff to last me? I'm sure the subs and hopefully if the amps dont fry those I'll have for years to come
  • swerve
    edited November 2004
    It wont hurt me how I spread it, I just had an overall budget, sort of like when you say to yourself "im going car shopping for anything under 30k" and then you end up looking at 50k BMWs, lol...I guess the first system is the most expensive one? How long can I count on this stuff to last me? I'm sure the subs and hopefully if the amps dont fry those I'll have for years to come
    If you don't get it stolen then it'll last quite a while...
    I don't know about the first one being the cheapest since you can always upgrade!!! yay upgrades make me happy! :D :rolleyes:

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    if you treat it right--theyll last you forever
    and no...the first system is not the most expensive...trust me...lol
    -Cody
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    ok ya I think my parents would kill me if they found out I spent 1k on car audio instead of saving it for the big college expenses to come...so my question is what if I just get 2way(or 3 way you tell me) and power those off the headunit? and instead of 2 subs get 1(the main reason i wanted 2 was to have one on each side, which I imagined would make the sound more 'stereo' instead of sub being on drivers side only) going with 1 sub would save me $100 and going with high end 2way or 3ways powered off the deck would save me an additional $180, I really dont wanna be heard throughout for miles, bringing up the robbery of the system reminded me I'd probably never really crank it much within 5 miles of home, worried someone would find out where I lived, lol. I just want better than stock without worry of having it ripped off. I heard the deck amps say they do 50x4 but only actually do 15x4 is this true?
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    ah forget what I said I'm going through many feelings towards it, I'll prolly end up scaring myself into not doing anything at all, I should just not think about it and just do it. my only concern now is the comment on infinity having a screaming high and the polks dont...I'm stumped on those 2
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    dont run 2-ways off your head unit...if you want to run speakers off the head unit id suggest the DB coaxials
    you could get 2 300.2s, one for the components and one for the sub
    how much are the 300.2s and the subs youre looking at costing you with the discount? you may be able to get something else for cheaper
    -Cody
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    2 10" kappa perfects are $60 each
    the polk 300.2 is $160
    compared to the infinity 260.2 which is $85(seems like the better buy) heck i can get the infinity 520.4 for less than the polk($128)

I get the same percentage off both brands, but the price they are taking the discount off is MSRP(which differs between polk and infinity for similar pieces)
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    that about getting a single perfect and getting a 300.2 to power it?
    the 300.2 is cheaper than the 500.1 and will work great for a single kappa
    the infinitys are less for a reason--you get what you pay for
    polk amps are much better than infinity
    -Cody
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    do you think a single kappa will be enough to go with a comp system? I just want everything to sound well together
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    i think so, theyre pretty efficient subs
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    edited November 2004
    Single subs work fine with components systems as long as you match them right. As long as you have at least the total amount going to your sub as you do your comps youll be fine.

• Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    so I'd have 300 total going to the comp system, and you say I should have atleast a 300RMS sub?
  • swerve
    edited November 2004
    while we are on the topic of infinity... they're amps are horrid right?

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    yea i think thats what he basically said
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    i thought the perfects were 400 watts rms?
    -Cody
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    the perfect im lookin at is 350w, the diecast ones r 400, i was just trying to understand what he is trying to say.
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    i think youll be fine, just keep the gain on the amp turned down
    -Cody
  • Big10Fan
    edited November 2004
    just wondering, is there anyway to turn the c400.4 into a amp that will power 2 subs at 2ohms?what im reading in the specs is this:

14.4 Volts RMS Bridged
    4 Ohms 200 watts x 2

if its possible to bring a 4chan amp down to 2ohms at 2 chans thatd give me 400x2 right? then I could have 2 subs like i wanted without paying for extra amp power(id even have extra since the subs r 350)
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    youll fry the amp