trying to match old stereo speakers with new surround sound system

ron p
ron p Posts: 4
edited November 2004 in Vintage Speakers
i'm getting ready to upgrade to surround sound and would like to use my 2 existing speakers (polk audio sda 2a). they are 15+ years old but in great shape (they went about 6 years without being played at all). they have the interconnect cable between the 2 speakers for "true stereo" that reportedly eliminates crosstalk distortion. can i use these as my left and right front speakers with a surround sound system, and purchase only the subwoofer, center, and 2 side speakers? if so, what would you match-up with these? they are 39 1/2" high and weigh 65 lbs. each, but i don't know any of their technical specifications (i think these are supposed to be "bright" rather than "warm"?)

the room they will be in is a "great room" 16' by 19' with a high slanted cathedral-type ceiling, and it opens up into the kitchen and breakfast nook behind it. also, the fireplace is in the center of the facing wall where the stereo and center speaker would ideally be. so everything in the front will have to be skewed a little to the left of the fireplace.

i will use the system for movies and music, but mostly music (about 90/10). i don't listen at extreme levels but occasionally i crank it up a little. for music, should all 5 speakers be the same, rather than 2 smaller surround speakers in the rear?

i'm very excited about the new sacd & dvd-a formats and plan to get a new receiver & universal player (i already have several discs but can't play them - getting itchy). i would like the receiver & player to also match up with the polks and each other (i like what i've read about the denon avr-2805 & 3805, and dvd-2900, but have been told i need a "warmer" sounding receiver, such as a marantz or h-d, for the polks)

my budget's in the $2,500 range (can wait on the subwoofer if i have to). any advice will be greatly appreciated.
Post edited by ron p on

Comments

• trubluluc
    trubluluc Posts: 2,067
    edited November 2004
    I've heard the new lsi series matches up pretty well.

Of the older stuff (cheaper) I'd look for a
    cs 350 center and Ls Fx surrounds.

-Luc
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Yup, we've already got a RonP, so we may just have to call ron p, junior...

Welcome to the Club....... junior... ;)

With music as your main goal go as large as you can for your rears, up to and including another pair of 2A's... Consider direct radiator for the rears if in the room you described, you will be sitting 6' or so in front of them.

THe LSi sereis is IMO, very different sounding than the old Polks. I don't think they match very well, but you may so give them a listen.

Your A's have the SL2000 tweeter in them. If you can use direct radiators, I'd look for ones that match the tweeter. Many old Polks in the Monitor series, SDA's, etc. used the 2000. Check here for candidates.

If you are too close to the rear stage for directs, look for f/x 1000's or 500's. While they don't use the 2000 (none of the surrounds do), they present an acceptable match. There's a pair of 500's on ebay right now with a slightly high, but not outrageously so BIN price in the $500's. For the 1000's figure up to $700 or $800... getting rare these days.

Center channel-wise, you're not going to find one with a SL2000 either. The 350 Luc mentions is a good candidate. Been a rash of them on ebay in the last week or so... $200 to 250 is the going rate. The CS400 is another worthy contender. I own both and like the 400 better. Haven't seen the 400 as often on ebay, but they come through every once in a while. Plan on $250 to 280 for one of these.

You can also add bucking magnets to an older Polk and use it as a center. The bucking mag's protect, or "shield" your TV from the magnetic field of the drivers' magnets

A couple of other notes:
    - SDA cancels interaural crosstalk... nothing to do with distortion.
    - Yes, the SL2000 tweeters is considered to be a bright tweeter. It's in-stock replacement, the SL 2000t, is much tamer and preferred by many here.
    - With music dominating your listening, by all means delay the sub. You can just route the LFE to your 2's for DVD playback...
    - I don't think the 3805 is enough of an AVR to drive your 2's. With old, used Polks in the picture, you should be able to shift more dollars towards more AVR power, or better yet, separates.

Happy hunting...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • ron p
    ron p Posts: 4
    edited November 2004
    thanks tour2ma. lots of good, specific info. you sound like you know your polks.
  • Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Thanks... No expert by any means, but I'm proof that if you hang around this forum long enough, you can't help but pick up a few nuggets of info...

Please let us know what route(s) you take and what the results are...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD