new to the car audio

kwade89
kwade89 Posts: 77
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just got a whole brand new sound system it has everything.. I am gettin my car next month (97 eclipse) but ne ways, yeah i am new to this mobile audio and I want to know if any one has any suggestions to me?... this is what i have...:confused:

:2-12" polk/momo subs
:mmc650 speakers&tweeters polk/momo
:mm6 speakers&tweeters polk/momo
: phoenix gold Xeon 100.2 (200) watts AMP
: " " " 100.4 (400) watts AMP
:Explod F7005x Cd Deck
:Explod 10 Cd changer

i still have to get hook up and stuff... does any one know what kind of sound this is going to have? and tips of doing will be so helpful thanks!! kaleb:)
Kaleb Wade

-00' Chevy Silverado Ext. Cab 1500

-Polk/MOMO-
MM6
MMc650
MM2124<2
-Phoenix Gold-
PG 100.4x
PG 100.2x
-Sony-
Explod HU F7005x
Explod 10Cd 757mx

Post edited by kwade89 on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    only use front speakers and get rid of the sony
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2004
    you have this stuff already? if so, that's cool, you can make it work, but if you don't already have it, we can provide suggestions (first and foremost, your sub amp, followed closey by your HU). i highly suggest, in any case, that you don't use the mmc650's, as they will only smear the detail provided by the mm6.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • kwade89
    edited November 2004
    WHY SHOULD I GET RID OF THE SONY DECK AND I DO ALREAY HAVE EVERYING!!!! I AM GETTIN MY CAR TO PUT IT IN SOON I NEED HOOKUPS AND CONNECTIONS.... HOW IS THE SOUND GOING TO BE??? how will the mmc650s smear the sound of the mm6?
    Kaleb Wade

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    1- STOP YELLING!

2- That Sony will be fine. They arent as good as a Pioneer or Alpine but will work.

3- The sound will not be smeared, the detail will be. When you have the same frequencies coming at you from different distances they hit your ear at different times and can hide a lot of the detail in the music. Using front speakers only is ideal. Also, the MM6 and MMC speaker have different tonal qualites and may sound funky together. Since you already have them and unless youre wanting to compete in SQ competitions youll be fine by using them.

4- Your amps are a problem. You should use the 100.4 for the speakers and turn the gain down on the rear. Thats 100 watts to the speakers so that works fine but the 100.2 is way to little power for those subs. Those are 400 watt subs and youll need at least 300 to get their full potential and not risk blowing them by clipping which youre liable to do sice thats not really enough power to keep up with the front stage. Even with te 100.2 bridged to a single sub it wont be enough. I would advise returning the 100.2 and get this 600 watt amp. That will be an easy 300 watts to each sub and thatll work a lot better.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • kwade89
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    1- STOP YELLING!

2- That Sony will be fine. They arent as good as a Pioneer or Alpine but will work.

3- The sound will not be smeared, the detail will be. When you have the same frequencies coming at you from different distances they hit your ear at different times and can hide a lot of the detail in the music. Using front speakers only is ideal. Also, the MM6 and MMC speaker have different tonal qualites and may sound funky together. Since you already have them and unless youre wanting to compete in SQ competitions youll be fine by using them.

4- Your amps are a problem. You should use the 100.4 for the speakers and turn the gain down on the rear. Thats 100 watts to the speakers so that works fine but the 100.2 is way to little power for those subs. Those are 400 watt subs and youll need at least 300 to get their full potential and not risk blowing them by clipping which youre liable to do sice thats not really enough power to keep up with the front stage. Even with te 100.2 bridged to a single sub it wont be enough. I would advise returning the 100.2 and get this 600 watt amp. That will be an easy 300 watts to each sub and thatll work a lot better.

So if i really want the best sound I can get... My best bet it to just leave out the back speakers The MMC650 set.. Would I just leave the stock speakers in? I really want this to sound awesome maybe if it is possible go into small competition.... if i get the 600.1 amp are the subs going to be thumpin' HARD?
    Also will the Subs Hit HARD if I use the 100.4 cause i am just tryin to stick with what I have right now cause I have NO MONEY and I can't take the amp back it was given to me as a gift! How would i manage with what I have?

P.S. LOL I wasnt yelling I accidently pressed the caps key!!!
    Kaleb Wade

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    The 100.2 will work and will make some bass but not a lot. Also be careful not to push it too hard as thats whatll cause it to clip and thus ending your subs.

The best sound quality will ALWAYS be achieved with front speakers only. If you were to not use the rear speakers you could use the 100.2 for your MM6's and then use the 200.2 for the subs. Simply bridge the front channels to one sub then the rear channels to the other sub. This will be an easy 200 watts to each and will be enough. It wont be all the subs can handle but it will be enough that you really wouldnt have to worry about underpowering.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2004
    I agree with mac, that sounds like your best solution, given what you're got. Don't use the rear speakers - return them if you can, just to get some cash back - and ensure that your stock rear speakers are disconnected; you want no sound coming from the rear. Yes, it will sound very different than what you're used to, but that's the point, no? Run the amps as mac suggested, with the lower power going to the front and the higher to the subs.

Then follow this link and set the gains according to those instructions. This will prevent you from driving your amp into clipping and wrecking your speakers or subs. As a note, you will not likely get an extraordinary amount of sound out of your subs with the amount of power you've got. It simply is not possible. You will get plenty of sound, and it will be balanced, but do not expect to wake up the neighbors at the other end of the street. Just be forewarned.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • kwade89
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    I agree with mac, that sounds like your best solution, given what you're got. Don't use the rear speakers - return them if you can, just to get some cash back - and ensure that your stock rear speakers are disconnected; you want no sound coming from the rear. Yes, it will sound very different than what you're used to, but that's the point, no? Run the amps as mac suggested, with the lower power going to the front and the higher to the subs.

Then follow this link and set the gains according to those instructions. This will prevent you from driving your amp into clipping and wrecking your speakers or subs. As a note, you will not likely get an extraordinary amount of sound out of your subs with the amount of power you've got. It simply is not possible. You will get plenty of sound, and it will be balanced, but do not expect to wake up the neighbors at the other end of the street. Just be forewarned.

Well could some one tell me what kind of Amp would be suggested to be getting the most bass I can push out of my subs while still being on the safe side of not blowing them??
    Kaleb Wade

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    whats the model number of your subs?
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • kwade89
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    whats the model number of your subs?

2124 12" subs
    Kaleb Wade

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-
    Explod HU F7005x
    Explod 10Cd 757mx

• kwade89
    edited November 2004
    I aM THInkin about sellin my Polk/MOMO MMC650 speakers and My Phoenix Gold 100.4 aMP how much could I get for each or Both together? they are brand new never been hooked up and they are still factory sealed in the box...

I want to buy a 600.1 Single mono or summin (Phoenix Gold)
    to push my Polk/momo 12"s (2124)
    any ways let me know what yall think thanks
    Kaleb Wade

-Polk/MOMO-
    MM6
    MMc650
    MM2124<2
    -Phoenix Gold-
    PG 100.4x
    PG 100.2x
    -Sony-