Todays finds

Options
hotwheelman
hotwheelman Posts: 1,300
edited November 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
Picked up a soundcraftsmen 10 band per channel e.q. model # rp2201-r, and a pioneer rg dynamic processor model # rg-1 at the thrift store for 10 bucks. Anybody have any knowledge about their values and what the pioneers big gimic was?
"Its worked so far but we're not out yet."
"Hey big man let me hold a dollar"
Post edited by hotwheelman on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited November 2004
    Options
    RP-2201-R 10-BAND
    Manufacture Years: 1978 - 1978
    Retail
    MSRP: $300.00
    USED: $22.00
    Wholesale
    Mint: $13.00
    Average: $7.00

RG- 1 DYNAMIC RANGE EXPANDER
    Manufacture Years: 1979 - 1981
    Retail
    MSRP: $200.00
    USED: $24.00
    Wholesale
    Mint: $14.00
    Average: $8.00
  • HBombToo
    HBombToo Posts: 5,256
    edited November 2004
    Options
    looks like ya save 5 bucks:D now go buy a couple beers at the local tavern:)

HBomb
    ***WAREMTAE***
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited November 2004
    Options
    The Pioneer RG-1 increases the difference between the strongest and softest signals your system (source actually) is capable of reproducing.

It can be effective for vinyl and tape, but essentially worthless for cd and dvd which already have incredible dynamic range.

George Grand (of the Jersey Grands)
  • hotwheelman
    edited November 2004
    Options
    George,

Thanks for the info, just picked up a yamaha t.t. from doro at the s.c. meet, and with this info in hand I may just have to play around with that processor a bit.

Mike
  • George Grand
    edited November 2004
    Options
    You're welcome. I've sold quite a few of those RG-1's to folks and they are all happy with what they do for vinyl. I've also sold a couple Pioneer EX-9000 dynamic range expanders and the folks are all impressed with those too.

I still have one more EX-9000 around here somewhere if someone could use it.

Vinyl (cartridges) I BELIEVE has about a 35-60db dynamic range, while cd, dvd, hi-fi videotape, and DAT all enjoy dynamic range greater than 80-90db. That's a big difference.

Channel separation on vinyl is pretty poor as well, typically around 25 db. Nothing to write home about, but certainly good enough for the "old days".

• B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited November 2004
    Options
    It can be useful on many pop CD's though, most modern pop CD's have almost no dynamic range whatsoever, having been compressed and volume-maximized til heck won't have it. Though there are some that are so squashed even an expander can't help, John Mayer's "Heavier Things" being an example. Good songs but horribly overcompressed audio, to the point of visibly clipped transients and bass waveforms. One song is audibly distorted. The digital formats allow 90dB dynamic range, but there are few that come anywhere close.

TP
  • George Grand
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Haven't seen you here before B3. I'm TA from AK.

B3Nut is a good man from a different forum. So there you go, if you own any "POP" cd's, try it out on those too!

• RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Not much to speak of today.

Adcom GFA-2, box/manual
    Adcom GFP-1A, box/manual
    Adcom GFA-555

Couple of Sansui peices, an old int. amp, and matching quad decoder with a quartet of v/u's, boxes/manuals. That, and some University drivers, compression horns, alnico 15" woofs...no big deal.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    Adcom GFA-2, box/manual
    Adcom GFP-1A, box/manual
    Adcom GFA-555
    Are you thinking of recycling any of this? :)
  • hotwheelman
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Not much to speak of today.

Adcom GFA-2, box/manual
    Adcom GFP-1A, box/manual
    Adcom GFA-555

Couple of Sansui peices, an old int. amp, and matching quad decoder with a quartet of v/u's, boxes/manuals. That, and some University drivers, compression horns, alnico 15" woofs...no big deal.

Cheers,
    Russ

Holy crap russ, It's a needle in a haystack around here to find that much. Did you scarf it all at once?

George, I will give it a whirl with some c.d. audio too. I will let you know what I think when I get round tuit. :D
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Sami
    Are you thinking of recycling any of this? :)

But of course!

HWM,

I had the RG-1 for while, actually used it between my hifi vcr and HT receiver. Neat peice, but not a lot of practicle applications these days.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Sami
    Sami Posts: 4,634
    edited November 2004
    Options
    But of course!
    In that case, I'll call dibs on the 555... :D
  • B3Nut
    B3Nut Posts: 76
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Haven't seen you here before B3. I'm TA from AK.

B3Nut is a good man from a different forum. So there you go, if you own any "POP" cd's, try it out on those too!

Heya TA, figured you'd be over here. :D I lurk over here mostly, sometimes I'll pop up. Haven't been here long tho, but I figured I could hang here a bit too since I have a pair of Mon. 4 Series 2's. :)

Todd in Beerbratistan
  • George Grand
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Todd,

Been here since '99 when I had a few Polks scattered about.

TODAYS JERSEY FINDS........

Yamaha MX-800 power amp
    Yamaha CX-800 preamp
    DBX something or other Mk.III tuna
    Onk double cassette deck
    Klipsch KG-4 speaks
    JVC 5 disc cd chgr

• George Grand
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Man did I step in **** with the above system. I was going to sell it all, but the Yamaha stuff is GREAT, and the DBX tuna is beautiful.

The power amp is a mother. RMS power is 170wpc/8 ohms, 195/6 ohms, 230/4 ohms. Dynamic power is 270/8, 330/6, 440/4, 570/2, and 600/1.

I may just "Magic Closet" this sucker, and sell the Yamaha M-50 power amp I picked up earlier in the week instead. I gave away the Infinity RS-III's that I got with the M-50, they were taking up too much space here.

Yamaha CX-800 preamp is remote controllable.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by George Grand
    Vinyl (cartridges) I BELIEVE has about a 35-60db dynamic range
    You believed yourself right into the old ball park...

Vinyl was pretty well restricted to 55dB max. More amplitude just tended to promote the stylus' flying out of the groove...

Being a dbx fan (as if you did not know), I wouldn't mind playing with the RG-1, if you have any kind of lend-lease program. I do have a library card I could mail as security...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • George Grand
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Tour,

I don't have an RG-1 at the moment. I only have the Pioneer EX-9000.................. and a DBX model. Looks like we'll be doing even MORE business.

• Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Possibly, but I already have spares on most dbx expanders (except the 5BX). Actually heard from an ebayer that running dedicated 'X'bx's for each channel is the way to go. I'll be playing with that in the 2 ch room.... eventually...

As for the Pioneer... more a curiosity than a need to own. Other than the "Spec" series and a couple vintage receivers, there's very little Pioneer gear I've needed to own... And I don't even own those few I need to...

How do you think the Pioneer expanders compare to dbx?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • George Grand
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I don't use them so I could only venture a guess.

How about a DBX 200 Program/Route Selector (passive)? Got one of those?

• Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Nope... just started looking at their line of route selectors, the 400XG in particular. But if you've got a 200 you want to move, "I'm your huckleberry".

EDIT: What exactly does that phrase mean anyway?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    "I'm your huckleberry".

EDIT: What exactly does that phrase mean anyway?
    Here you go......

"I'm your huckleberry"
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Most excellent shack daddy.. my compliments to your surfing search skills... and a double dip to boot...
    So "I'm your huckleberry" means "I'm just the man you're looking for!"

Now ain't that a daisy!

The "Daisy" comment is easier. In the late 19th century "daisy" was a common slang term for "the best in it's class." So for "daisy" just substitute "the best" and you'll have it. It was a short-lived idiom and doesn't seem to be popular much after 1890.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Tour2ma
    But if you've got a 200 you want to move, "I'm your huckleberry".
    The Definition:

"First, it denoted a small unit of measure, a "tad," as it were, and a person who was a huckleberry could be a small, unimportant person--usually expressed ironically in mock self-depreciation"

Say it ain't so....Since Bruce used the quote I knew it had to mean something else... ;)
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • George Grand
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I enjoyed the movie "Tombstone" and the way Val Kilmer used the term huckleberry. Just as Tour used it. To the bad guy gunslinger who was looking for trouble Kilmer replied, "I'm your huckleberry."

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,805
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Hmmm....I've been using that line on here for awhile now. I usually direct it at trolls and other loser types with the meaning that I'm going to be a PITA to them for however long they last here.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• Tour2ma
    edited November 2004
    Options
    That would make you "the Trolls' Huckleberry."

You're a daisy if you do... ;)
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli