progressive-scan or not to progressive-scan

Options
goingganzo
goingganzo Posts: 2,793
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
i was wondering if any one else has a high deff tv with a progressive-scan dvd player and had a non progressive-scan dvd player hooked up to it can you notice the differance in picture? i am wondering if any one can help me out i dont know if i want to shell out the cash for the good progressive-scan dvd player or just wait for the mega dvd changers to come down in price
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• jrausch
    jrausch Posts: 510
    edited February 2002
    Options
    It's not major, but if you’re also a videophile it's well worth the extra cash. You get a slightly smoother frame rate and the colors are more vibrant and precise. The best types of movies that show a noticeable difference are CGI and the newer cartoons(Tarzan,Akira,Atlantis). The players will cost you a bit more and a good set of component video cables will set you back another $65-$150 depending on the length required by your system. Go out and demo a unit and see if you can tell the difference, If not, don’t pay the difference.

Peace,
    Jer
    "The only way to get rid of a temptation is to yield to it."
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    i've demoed this in a local hi-fi shop where they had it set up split screen, and the difference was very apparent. they were using the denon 2800 progressive DVD player. $800, so pretty pricey, but the difference was definitely there. try to demo it for yourself if you can at a local hi-fi shop...
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Actually, the difference is substantial. I had a Sony non-ps wired to my Mits 46" 16:9 for about 6 months before getting my current JVC-S60 ps. Right off, I noticed:

Better colors, more vibrant
    Cleaner picture
    More detailed picture
    Smoother motion, very fluid like
    Sharper picture
    Better black level

All of the above was very noticable. It is well worth the upgrade price tag, no question.

Of course I just had my Mits ISF'd 3 weeks ago and that made an even greater difference in picture quality over the upgrade to progressive scan.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Substantial, but I'd wait anyways. I think it'll become the standard pretty soon. Then again I didn't run out and buy an AC-3 decoder years back.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2002
    Options
    cool i think i might get one but any one know of a good brand that is not cheap or a milloin bucks
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Of the 3 (Panny RP-56, Sony NS700p, JVC S60) I brought home and tested for several weeks, I found the JVC to produce the best looking Progressive Picture. The JVC had the least impressive interlaced picture of the 3, but who really cares, it's the progressive picture your looking for.

The JVC does not have the Chroma Bug (Sony) or the Flicker Bug (RP-56). I found the black level from the JVC the best. The RP-56 has a very goofy lighter/darker setting, but no off selection :confused:

The JVC produced the most vibrant colors of the 3. The RP56 and the JVC both produced a very clean smooth picture, the Sony was a bit grainy. The Sony and JVC have both Coax and Optical outs and switch on the fly progressive, the RP56 only has Optical out and no button on the remote for progressive/interlace selection.

The JVC also has auto upscaling, great for those non-anamorphic titles.

JVC - $229.00
    RP56 - $219.00
    NS700p - $299.00

B&M pricing 4 months ago.

If...
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    Options
    goingganzo,

I think if you have an HD video monitor than you should definately get a progressive scan. I have a front projection system and there was a good diffence. Much more noticeable on a 8' screen. I searched two months (many hours) for a progressive scan player. It finally came between the JVC 7 disc and the Denon 2800. Heard about problems with the JVC's. The Denon was a top contender for the best progressive scan for a under $1000 and after you read all the web info. on it you will definatly see why. The price was high BUT I picked up the latest mobel on EBAY for $400. I must say it is impressive--built like a tank and stunning looks(gold trim). Recieved promptly and in flawless condition. LOVE IT.
    On a side note you will notice many many progressive scans out there for under the $300 price tag. I was told they are not TRUE progressive. Look for the key word**TRUE DIGITAL PROGRESSIVE SCAN***. That may be all the diffence. Hope this helps. :cool:
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    On a side note you will notice many many progressive scans out there for under the $300 price tag. I was told they are not TRUE progressive. Look for the key word**TRUE DIGITAL PROGRESSIVE SCAN***.
    What does "true" progressive mean?

Just about every DVD player manufacturer claims, in one way or another, that their player is the only “true” progressive player on the market, and claims that other solutions use some kind of primitive line-doubler. This is, not to put too fine a point on it, absurd. With the possible exception of some very low-cost progressive players, all progressive players are capable of outputting the entire film frame, without compromise. They are all “true” progressive players. Whether the player reads the progressive frame directly off the disc, or recreates it with a deinterlacer in the digital domain, the end result is the same. What varies between the players is their video performance, and the ability to handle material that wasn’t encoded the “standard” way.

I encourage all to visit and read. One of, if not the best site on the net for info on progressive scan and players.

progressive scan

If...
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    Options
    good link ron! i've had this bookmarked for awhile, alomst forgot about it. probably the best insight to progressive scan i've read...
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Options
    I did all that research. Just (IMO) ya know two cents. I was looking for a high quality DVD players. What kind of line doubler is in a $165 Progressive player? Think about it!
    Same reason you did not spend $800 on a big screen HD tv?
    QUALITY. Many inexpensive progressive scan DVD players WILL NOT claim to have PURE DIGITAL SCAN. Not arguing just passing on what I call advise. aka (IMO) :)
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    PURE DIGITAL SCAN
    My question, what is this? It's the first I have heard of such a thing. Scott, I'm not trying to argue either, just want to know where you got this info from and what it means. As far as I know there are progressive players and there are not, no inbetweens. If it came from the mouth of a sales guy, take it with a grain of salt. If it is speifically related to your player, I like to know what they are talking about.

When I was first looking into progressive players a sales guy feed me the same line. Make sure you get a "true progressive player and yes, they cost more". Given that info I started threads over at the hometheaterforum, hometheatertalk and the spot. Basically everyone said what the above article states. There is no such thing.
    On a side note you will notice many many progressive scans out there for under the $300 price tag. I was told they are not TRUE progressive.
    What brands? This info could help those when choosing a PS player. The only difference I have found in my research between a progressive player and a non-progressive is the deinterlacing chipset that reads the progressive flags. That's it. Of course, I could be wrong.

If...
  • goingganzo
    edited February 2002
    Options
    was it a shop that was selling them or was it used the denon thanks
  • scottvamp
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Ron, It was probably a sales line that was feed to me and I picked up on it. But I did notice that a higher end JVC model had True Digital Progressive Scan right on the front of the model. JVC also really likes the term "Digital Direct Pro. Scan." And my Denon 2800 has "PURE Progressive" coined by Silicon Image on the front.
    I really DON'T know exactly what these different terms mean.
    My guess would be like what Onkyo pushes on there components and that has to do with the Quality of the circutry and how it is laided and connected.(Direct Digital Paths) The coined makeups of the line doublers used in the different players.
    Like some projection TV's will coin and brag about the quality of there comb filters.
    Anyway maybe I will do some research and try to Define some of these Pro. Scan terms since I started this. Ouch! My bad! Ha!:)
  • Ron-P
    edited February 2002
    Options
    Like I said, I was fed the same line. I think alot of these sales guys and manufactures like to use big words to entice us to buy. Little do most of them know that there are a few, like us, that know they are full of it.

If...