How to wire DB675 to an amp

99greensc1
99greensc1 Posts: 13
edited November 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
A quick intro...I bought a new car 2 months ago...99 Saturn SC1...I have a multiple amp wiring kit that I'm going to install in the next couple days...I will be running a Kenwood KAC-728S to the speakers for now. I have a JL 10W0 (recommended 125 watts, but can handle more) that I will be running off of a cheap Lightning Audio B250.1 (puts out 150 @ 4). In the future I will be upgrading to a pair of IDQ10's and a Memphis amp.

I just bought a pair of DB675's and I don't have money right now for a decent amp for the speakers. But that's where the Kenwood comes into play. It is 100 x 2 @ 4 Ohms which is a bit more than the speakers are rated at (I think they are rated for only 60 watts).

My questions are as follows:

1) What would be a good amp to get for them when I have the money to do so?

2) How do I wire them up (I'm used to doing amps and subs, but for the speaker wire from the amp to the speakers, how do i do it? is it supposed to be kept away from the power wire [like you do with the RCA's on other side of power cable] to keep the interference down or does it matter? any tips would be helpful).

3) Lastly, how do I keep from blowing the speakers with too much power...will turning the gain down on the Kenwood amp do it or would your recommend I don't use an amp for right now until i get one that is either 60 or 75 watts @ 4 Ohms per channel?

Thanks for your time.

Michael

BTW...I'm running these speakers in my front soundstage...I am somewhat of an audiophile, but not enough that I need components right now...maybe in the future I will get some and throw these speakers in the back or something...who knows.

Thanks again.
99 Saturn SC1

Alpine CDA-9805
Polk DB675
RF HPC2206
JL 10W0-4
Lightning Audio B250.1
Kenwood KAC-728S

AEM WAI
Custom Mesh Grille

::FUTURE AUDIO::

ALPINE CDA-9833 or 9835
POLK DB6750 components and 675 in rear
MEMPHIS 500D
IMAGE DYNAMICS IDQ10's
Post edited by 99greensc1 on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited November 2004
    2) wiring for speakers is even easier than subs, cause you don't usually have to worry about impedances. i personally put my speaker wire down the same side as my rca's, but with the voltage running through them compared to anywhere else, noise pickup is rarely an issue in speaker wires.

3) gains setup
    real easy, and keeps you from blowing your speakers, but gets you maximum sound besides.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 99greensc1
    edited November 2004
    thanks for all your help. I just want to make sure though, more wattage for the speakers won't hurt them as long as i set it up like the page you linked?

in other words, can't blow them as long as they don't get too much power and distort?

thanks again.
    99 Saturn SC1

Alpine CDA-9805
    Polk DB675
    RF HPC2206
    JL 10W0-4
    Lightning Audio B250.1
    Kenwood KAC-728S

AEM WAI
    Custom Mesh Grille

ALPINE CDA-9833 or 9835
    MEMPHIS 500D
    IMAGE DYNAMICS IDQ10's
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited November 2004
    right
    and as far as question 1 goes---id go with memphis so you wont have 2 difft amps
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited November 2004
    the 2 different amps thing is purely a cosmetic issue... it realy depends on how much you can see yourself spending and if you want headroom for future upgrades...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by 99greensc1
    thanks for all your help. I just want to make sure though, more wattage for the speakers won't hurt them as long as i set it up like the page you linked?

in other words, can't blow them as long as they don't get too much power and distort?

thanks again.
    right - follow those directions properly and you will be fine.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • 99greensc1
    edited November 2004
    All right, so I received the Polk DB675's in the mail today. I hooked up my sub and everything and got that running fine. Now today all I have to do is mount the Kenwood amp on the back of the seat. Hook it up and then run the speaker wire to the speakers (along with actually installing the speakers). My only other question is how does the Remote turn-on lead work with 2 amps?

Right now I have my mono amp hooked up (power wire on driver's side, rca's and turn-on on pass side, turn-on goes from HU to amp)...so can I just run a wire from one amp to the other for the turn-on lead?

Thanks again.
    Michael
    99 Saturn SC1

Alpine CDA-9805
    Polk DB675
    RF HPC2206
    JL 10W0-4
    Lightning Audio B250.1
    Kenwood KAC-728S

AEM WAI
    Custom Mesh Grille

ALPINE CDA-9833 or 9835
    MEMPHIS 500D
    IMAGE DYNAMICS IDQ10's
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    just get a butt connector and have 1 wire from your hu coming in, and then 2 coming out, one for each amp
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2004
    or do exactly as you suggested - run a single wire into one amp, and into the same port clamp a second wire to go to the second amp.

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    Or do it the old fashioned way. Run one wire from the remote then splice two more onto the end of it and voila!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited November 2004
    man, mac, get with the times... that's so ten years ago.. :D

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited November 2004
    Yeah but it shore does work.

Hell I dont even use a distro block for my power wire. Ive got 4 gauge running from the battery then I stripped off about 8" of wire and took my two 8 gauge, stripped off about 6" of wire on each and then wrapped them good and tight and then taped the **** out of em with duct tape and theyve worked like a charm ever since. In fact, in the 14 years Ive been piddling in this stuff Ive never used a distro block.

Im a splicin' type of guy!
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • 99greensc1
    edited November 2004
    Well I'd like to thank everyone for their input. I should have replied a few days ago. I used a little advice from each of you here and there and it seems to have worked out well. It sounds so much better having the front soundstage amped. I love the way that A Perfect Circle's "Killing Sheep to The Rhythm of The War Drums" sounds.

I can't wait to upgrade to my Memphis amp and IDQ10's when I get more money.

The single JL sounds awesome though. Now I may have to invest in some sound deadening. Any suggestions for places to get it or brands to go with that are cheaper than Dynamat and just as decent (although I don't think Dynamat is the greatest, I have seen better)?

Thanks again everyone.

Michael
    99 Saturn SC1

Alpine CDA-9805
    Polk DB675
    RF HPC2206
    JL 10W0-4
    Lightning Audio B250.1
    Kenwood KAC-728S

AEM WAI
    Custom Mesh Grille

ALPINE CDA-9833 or 9835
    MEMPHIS 500D
    IMAGE DYNAMICS IDQ10's
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited November 2004
    Two alternatives are secondskin and fatmat . I haven't had experience with either, so I can't tell you which is better.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • exalted512
    edited November 2004
    second skin is better but fat mat is cheaper
    you might want to try looking on ebay
    dynamat extreme is good stuff and sometimes can be found for really cheap on ebay
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    edited November 2004
    Originally posted by 99greensc1
    I love the way that A Perfect Circle's "Killing Sheep to The Rhythm of The War Drums" sounds.
    Michael

I have to comment on this seeing as how i have the song quoted in my sig and all...

The first version of that song was called 'Pet' and appeared on the cd "The Thirteenth Step" the second version appears on their latest release and is called 'Count Bodies Like Sheep To The Rythem Of The War Drums'

sorry man but you butchered the title so much i just had to comment :p

• 99greensc1
    edited November 2004
    I know I messed it up. I'm sorry, after posting I looked it up and realized I messed up but didn't want to fix my post. I will have to get their other 2 cd's. That is what they have right? only 2 others or do they have more?

Anyway, yeah.
    99 Saturn SC1

Alpine CDA-9805
    Polk DB675
    RF HPC2206
    JL 10W0-4
    Lightning Audio B250.1
    Kenwood KAC-728S

AEM WAI
    Custom Mesh Grille

ALPINE CDA-9833 or 9835
    MEMPHIS 500D
    IMAGE DYNAMICS IDQ10's
  • Joelsbass
    edited November 2004
    yeah, just the three counting the new release... you should look into 'tool' as well if you haven't yet, they're the group that 'a perfect circle' sprung from