What speakers are you guys planning to upgrade to?

Options
organ
organ Posts: 4,969
edited December 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
First I need to pay back my credit card. By the time I do that, I'm sure I should have the cash for a pair of Klipsch RF-7 on clearance. I plan to get mine online because the price is much better than the dealer I have. I already talked to my mom about it and she's cool with it. I don't want to surprise her with those giant 90lbs+(each) speakers. It's one of those big purchase where it's better to ask for permission than get in sh#t while trying to enjoy the new toys. I'm sure another reason why she's cool with it is because she digs my RF-35.

If any of you see a great price online for the RF-7, please let me know.

So what are you guys planning to upgrade to?

Maurice
Post edited by organ on

Comments

• Frank Z
    Frank Z Posts: 5,860
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Nuttin'!
    I'm good for years to come. Lsi's and SDA's, I don't need anything else.
    9/11 - WE WILL NEVER FORGET!! (<---<<click)
    2005-06 Club Polk Football Pool Champion!! :D
  • organ
    organ Posts: 4,969
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I knew SDA owners won't be upgrading:). I'm sure the CA owners won't be either.

Maurice
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Maybe some SDAs.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited November 2004
    Options
    been looking hard at the Bose Wave radio.. that way i can sell off the HT and replace it with that, just ONE piece of gear. No damn wires to worry about.

whadda ya think?
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm set :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Sometime in the next couple of months I will be upgrading from Paradigm Monitors to a DIY design by Adire Audio. It will use their new low distortion Extremis6 and a tweeter by Peerless maybe. I cant wait. These will be for 2 channel.
    Graham
  • tntvt
    tntvt Posts: 121
    edited November 2004
    Options
    No upgrades for me. SRT's still make me smile!:D
  • madmax
    madmax Posts: 12,434
    edited November 2004
    Options
    It is really hard (price wise) to upgrade from SDA's.
    madmax
    Vinyl, the final frontier...

Avantgarde horns, 300b tubes, thats the kinda crap I want... :D
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited November 2004
    Options
    With a very real possibility of never getting a chance to hear SDA's, Totem Hawks are tops on my list currently for a few reasons. They fall in my price range, they're small, look great and they sound fantastic for my ears and musical taste.

Which Totems Sean?
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • dcarlson
    dcarlson Posts: 1,740
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Bummer on the Hawks that would've been a good deal. You still have your Staff's?
    SDA-2a, Anthem Pre-2L, Anthem Amp 1, MF A324 DAC, Rotel RCD1070

Senn HD650 Cardas, Mapletree Audio Ear+ HD2, Kimber KS1030, Bel Canto DAC2, M-Audio Transit, Laptop.
  • amulford
    amulford Posts: 5,020
    edited November 2004
    Options
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,367
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Frank Z
    Nuttin'!
    I'm good for years to come. Lsi's and SDA's, I don't need anything else.

Me too, although I've found comparing different SDAs is quite involving. It's fun to look around once in a while though. I listened to a pair of Gallo Acoustics Nucleus Reference 3s a couple of weeks ago with an MSRP around $2500. The tweeter is incredibly smooth but the speaker is quite small and has a small, not very dynamic presentation. Once the subwoofer module becomes available next spring the MSRP will probably climb to near $4000. They're overall better than my LSi15s but not worth 3 times the price. The LSi15 ring radiator tweeter gives the Gallo tweeter a pretty good run for the money. The Gallos are comparable in overall sound quality to my SDA 2As with the new Polk replacement tweeter, but nowhere close to the SRS speakers overall.
  • scottnbnj
    scottnbnj Posts: 709
    edited November 2004
    Options
    next speaks will be lcxi's for the bedroom in some sort of custom wall mounted cabinet and an avr for light stereo av duty. basic layout for built in component cabinetry and speak enclosures are taking shape.

)
  • reeltrouble1
    reeltrouble1 Posts: 9,312
    edited November 2004
    Options
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2004
    Options
    If could just find a dealer nearby it would be Bose, so hard to find anyone that sells them.

Till then looking hard at VMPS, almost any model, but the RM1 626R or RM30's are very nice.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • Jstas
    Jstas Posts: 14,712
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Honestly, speakers to upgrade too aren't on my list. I'm quite happy with my SDA's and the other speakers I have are a bunch of vintage KLH models which perform exceptionally well for thier price and age. It's hard to find decent bookshelfs with large displacement drivers (i.e.: 8" drivers and larger) for a reasonable price. They are great for a home theater or just a decent set of stereo speakers.

The only other speakers to upgrade would be automotive but I already have Polk Audio dB's (originial from the mid-late 90's) and honestly, I have yet to hear anything better. They are at the top of the heap which is populated by some pretty pricey equipment. At that level, nothing really sounds better than it's competition, it just sounds different.

Anyway, it's time to start concentrating on electronics, not speakers. When the electronics get good enough to show the faults in the speakers, then I'll worry about finding something else.
    Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by hoosier21
    Till then looking hard at VMPS, almost any model, but the RM1 626R or RM30's are very nice.
    Hoosier, I figured you would move up from your MMGs to bigger Maggies. That seems to be the pattern for most MMG buyers (and exactly what Magnepan hopes for when they sell them). Still have yours?
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • Early B.
    Early B. Posts: 7,900
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Gonna get some Norh 5.1's 'cause the WAF wants 'em in the living room.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
  • hoosier21
    hoosier21 Posts: 4,408
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by shack
    Hoosier, I figured you would move up from your MMGs to bigger Maggies. That seems to be the pattern for most MMG buyers (and exactly what Magnepan hopes for when they sell them). Still have yours?

Heck no, they went back under the trial period for a full refund, and you are right, they were great, but made me want the bigger models.
    Dodd - Battery Preamp
    Monarchy Audio SE100 Delux - mono power amps
    Sony DVP-NS999ES - SACD player
    ADS 1230 - Polk SDA 2B
    DIY Stereo Subwoofer towers w/(4) 12 drivers each
    Crown K1 - Subwoofer amp
    Outlaw ICBM - crossover
    Beringher BFD - sub eq

Where is the remote? Where is the $%#$% remote!

"I've always been mad, I know I've been mad, like the most of us have...very hard to explain why you're mad, even if you're not mad..."
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I think a set of Maggies are in my future! I loved the Tympani 1D's I had years ago, traded them in for my SDA SRS's. I just listened to a friends set of 3.1's (I think that was the model, it was 3. something!) with an HSU STF-3 supporting the bass on each side, and it was pretty incredible. It's been said that you can't play hard rock on the Maggies, but we were listening to AC/DC and Metallica at what I would describe as "real loud" and they were doing just fine. My music tastes are really diverse, so a good set of Maggies, with a good musical set of subs, just might be something to think about.
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited November 2004
    Options
    For me, sub consolidation. 3 Tumult 15"s sharig the same enclosure with 6 PR's, 3,400 watts, and a Rane PE-17.
    Go BIG or go home!
  • gatemplin
    gatemplin Posts: 1,595
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by sowen010599
    For me, sub consolidation. 3 Tumult 15"s sharig the same enclosure with 6 PR's, 3,400 watts, and a Rane PE-17.

Do you have a death wish or something?
    Graham
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,020
    edited November 2004
    Options
    God dude...

That isnt going to be a subwoofer....thats gonna be a freakin BEAST
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Why not just go infinite Baffle? You could get 10-16 of these drivers for the cost of 3 Tumults and PR's.
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • sowen010599
    sowen010599 Posts: 343
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Go big, or go home! LOL

Thought about IB but the room has 3 outside wall's. I would have the make another wall with a gap between the two. By the time you figure in that kind of construction, it looses its appeal.
    Go BIG or go home!
  • tryrrthg
    tryrrthg Posts: 1,896
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Go big, or go home! LOL

Thought about IB but the room has 3 outside wall's. I would have the make another wall with a gap between the two. By the time you figure in that kind of construction, it looses its appeal.
    Then I'd consider going with a slot port instead of PR's. use the money saved to buy another Tumult or just pocket the extra cash. You probably ONLY need two Tumults anyway... ;)
    Sony KDL-40V2500 HDTV, Rotel RSX-1067 Receiver, Sony BDP-S550 Blu-ray, Slim Devices Squeezebox, Polk RTi6, CSi3 & R15, DIY sub with Atlas 15
  • dkg999
    dkg999 Posts: 5,647
    edited November 2004
    Options
    Just crank up those subs, whatever wall caves in first was the weakest wall and really needed rebuilt anyway. Put your IB in that wall! Norm Abrahms will show you how to do it in his next episode!

My significant other thinks the audio/video area is out of control and I need help ............ I never let her see the shop and storage unit as the power tool habit has been going on a lot longer!
    DKG999
    HT System: LSi9, LSiCx2, LSiFX, LSi7, SVS 20-39 PC+, B&K 507.s2 AVR, B&K Ref 125.2, Tripplite LCR-2400, Cambridge 650BD, Signal Cable PC/SC, BJC IC, Samsung 55" LED

Music System: Magnepan 1.6QR, SVS SB12+, ARC pre, Parasound HCA1500 vertically bi-amped, Jolida CDP, Pro-Ject RM5.1SE TT, Pro-Ject TubeBox SE phono pre, SBT, PS Audio DLIII DAC
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm still so elated with my RF-35s that I don't think I'll ever upgrade them!! lol......well, maybe one day...

Right now the focus is on CD player, then tube amp...I hop.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • LuSh
    LuSh Posts: 887
    edited November 2004
    Options
    I'm going to be listening to a Museatex Meitner DAC next week. It favors well against the single box units from Classe', Simaudio and Linn units.

I will need a better transport however. The NAD won't cut it.

After that, the speakers I'm most interested in are the Reference 3a MM De Capo's. I'm growing tired of the lack of mid-bass from my LSi9's. Some rock music I listen too isn't as explosive as it should be.

I'm also going to be able to listen to the following wiring next week, all of the items below are being mailed to me.

Kimber 8TC speaker wire
    Kimber PBJ interconnect
    Moray James Digital directional Interconnect (the retail for this single wire is almost as much as all the wires I've been given to try)
    Harmonic Tech Interconnect
    Harmonic Tech Digital interconnect
    Van Den Hul Interconnect
    XLO power cord

Till this point, I've always thought as money left on the table for retailers. I use Cardas Twinlink interconnects right now, with AR master series 10 AWG speaker wire. Stock power cord to my SimAudio Moon intergrated. I shall see how.
  • dmalino
    dmalino Posts: 36
    edited December 2004
    Options
    I just got LSi 9s so I guess that's my upgrade for now. After that I'd like Maggie 3.6Rs along with AudioResearch tube pre/power amps.