But the Best Buy salesman said.... funny

jcaut
jcaut Posts: 1,849
edited February 28 in Clubhouse Archives
Hey guys.
Have you ever gone into Best Buy and "played dumb" just to see what kind of nonsense some of those guys will try and tell you? I was in the Ft. Smith, AR store last night to pick up a pack of blank computer CD-R's, when a "salesman" approached and proceeded to tell me that if I record MUSIC off my computer onto the non- "Music" discs, that it will just sound like clicks and pops, because those discs can only hold "data". (BTW, I've got a component CDR deck also, so I know all about the "Music" discs.)

Here's some more stuff I've "learned" from BB sales-people in the past. Some of these are hilarious:

I can get a computer virus if my phone line is not plugged into a surge supressor with a "filter"

Sony makes the equipment sold under most of the other "major" brand names of electronics.

Most good quality DVD players will let me receive off-the-air HDTV broadcasts on my existing set (cough-cough!):eek: (I had to say something about that one, and the guy asked his boss, then admitted that he didn't have a clue what he was talking about)

The open box-- missing parts, HP printer marked down $30 from reg. price but missing the color ink cartridge was a "fantastic deal"

My favorite:
Cerwin-Vega speakers are just one step below Bose in quality, and Bose speakers are widely acknowledged to be the finest in the world.

Makes me want to carry a hidden camera in there--
Jason
Post edited by RyanC_Masimo on

Comments

• Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    That's hilarious, Jason! I almost always play dumb with salesmen initially just to see how knowledgable and honest they are. I've found that to be a real eye-opener. So far I've really only found one hi-fi shop that has impressed me in terms of knowledge, honesty, and friendliness. Surprisingly they are the most high-end shop I've been to.

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    RuSsMaN Posts: 17,987
    edited February 2002
    ...yeah, playing dumb is fun. 2 things I like to do:

Stand within listening distance to a salesperson explaining something audio related to a customer, then laugh out loud when they say something incorrect, or better yet, correct them in front of the customer.

You seen the 'music section'? You know, where all the cd's are layed out, and those Bose cubes are playing? At least here in Texas, they are mounted on a pole, about 6ft higher than the cd rack itself. If no one is looking, usually a real good shake of that pole, and the cubes fall off, and dangle by the wire. I love doing that. Be careful not to shake too hard though, this takes practice. My brother did it once and sent a pair a cubes flying about 15 feet, they hit the ground hard, and slid across the floor into the appliance department.

I laughed so hard it hurt.

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • gidrah
    gidrah Posts: 3,049
    edited February 2002
    Great stuff! Anymore I just ask what the S/N and that usually chases them away, if not I make something up. What's the SPL of this DVD player.

I once played the opposite end and talked to a guy at ABC Warehouse (local/midwest?). At he time they carried Ohm Walsh 5s. After convincing him that I could easily afford them (B.S.), I told him how I thought the Bose 901s sounded so much better, after about 1/2hr. I told him I'd think about it and be back.
    Make it Funky! :)
  • jcaut
    edited February 2002
    My brother did it once and sent a pair a cubes flying about 15 feet, they hit the ground hard, and slid across the floor into the appliance department

Is that called "Stereo-targeting" ?
  • gidrah
    edited February 2002
    That's great. I'll have to try that some time. By me the BB has the Bose setup in the "accoustically tuned" headphone/connector aisle. Maybe I can hit the checkout lady.
  • Eddie624
    Eddie624 Posts: 77
    edited February 2002
    I was at CC yesterday and asked if they were going to carry Polk's new line of speakers. he told me they are going to carry the new RTi line but that the LSi line only was going to be sold through Polk and not any of the distrubutors.
  • juice21
    juice21 Posts: 1,866
    edited February 2002
    i too, often play dumb when going in to a local hi-fi store or into CC just for laughs. it's a great way to know how knowledgeable and honest the person is, and in the case of CC, is usaully a good laugh. russ, the bose cubes are coming down the next time i'm in best buy, that is hilarious...:D
  • Eddie624
    edited February 2002
    I dont but isnt that a bit childish knocking the cubes off the stands?
  • Aaron
    Aaron Posts: 1,853
    edited February 2002
    Russ, I'm not letting you come over to house! You might try to stereo target my rears!

Aaron
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2002
    Nah, most 'children' couldn't reach the pole anyway......

Cheers,
    Russ
    Check your lips at the door woman. Shake your hips like battleships. Yeah, all the white girls trip when I sing at Sunday service.
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    Sounds like Russ has no problem grabbin' pole:)

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2002
    RussMan, I think you mentioned doing that before. I can't remember if it was here, or during a private conversation we had. Whatever the case, audiowise, IT IS STILL ONE OF THE FUNNIEST THINGS I'VE EVER HEARD. Childish? Well, I dunno, maybe, but so are "The Stooges", and NOBODY doesn't like them (the Sara Lee's of male entertainment).

Next time out Russ, bring some lighter fluid with you. You know the rest. You can wrap up the whole affair with a statement like,"Wow, I know the Bose ads say their speakers really COOK, but I had NO idea!" Do it for your old pal George.

"If your kids ever find out how lame you really are, they're gonna kill you in your sleep."
    FZ
  • fabian1
    fabian1 Posts: 218
    edited February 2002
    We have a huge retail chian in Australia called Harvey Norman, most in the know nickname them Hardley Normal, as they would not know the difference between a DVD PLAYER OR A VCR PLAYER Regards Fabian :) :cool: :cool: :cool:
    The Wonder From Downunder
  • George Grand
    George Grand Posts: 12,258
    edited February 2002
    The FUNNIEST audio story I ever heard.

True story. I don't remember the venue. World reknowned audio designer Nelson Pass (Pass, Threshold) was demoing a new speaker design, The Plasmatron's. This was at a major audio/hi-fi show. It seems, that one of the drawbacks of this design (in addition to a probable $2,000,000/pair price tag) was that they produced large amounts of OZONE in the immediate vicinity of the speakers. ENOUGH ozone in this case, to render him unconscious! He had to be rushed to the hospital. I don't know if you could say they sounded good, but I guess one COULD say that they were a knockout.

"Nobody looks good bent over, especially while picking up a check."
    FZ
  • RuSsMaN
    edited February 2002
    Good God man, what the hell were they made of? I can't even begin to fathom my speakers producing ozone....

That is funny.

Cheers,
    Russ

and hey, welcome back.
  • raycomics
    raycomics Posts: 78
    edited February 2002
    Please remember that the person selling you Audio/Video Electronics and assessories today was selling Washers and Dryers yesterday.

Ray
  • scottvamp
    scottvamp Posts: 3,277
    edited February 2002
    My local Hometheater shop DOES SELL washers and dryers--ohh and friges HA!:rolleyes:
  • Ron-P
    Ron-P Posts: 8,516
    edited February 2002
    I bought my Polks and Beer Frige all at the same CC.

Peace Out~:D
    If...
    Ron dislikes a film = go out and buy it.
    Ron loves a film = don't even rent.
  • joe logston
    joe logston Posts: 882
    edited February 2002
    i play smart and see how many customers i can get from the sales men after a while the customers thank that you are the main sales man in the store, try it its fun, it is easy to talk your way in to the conversation because you know more than the sales man then the customer thanks you are the head sales man. i do it all the time its a blast. ps i guess i will be carefull next time i go in cc i dont want to be killed buy a flying bose
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

lets all go to the next ces.
  • goingganzo
    goingganzo Posts: 2,793
    edited February 2002
    i usto go into cc and bb and play dumb then drop a bomb on them and watch their jaw drop it is so fun but the manger wont match any prices for me i have ben told to come back with a real price that was funny that was when i was getting my seccond set of fx 500i and they were sold out from under my sales person at abc warehouse.
  • ntculenuff
    ntculenuff Posts: 1,146
    edited February 2002
    Originally posted by RuSsMaN
    ...yeah, playing dumb is fun.

Stand within listening distance to a salesperson explaining something audio related to a customer, then laugh out loud when they say something incorrect, or better yet, correct them in front of the customer.

Cheers,
    Russ
    i too find myself doing this, it's great especially when the salesman gives you the look (like you should not be even saying anything, how could you know more). then when the customer they were dealing with directly asks you the ? in front of the sales guy..i love it

i too like to listen to all the sales pitches then drop the bomb ? and watch them stumble thru a bs answer
    Speakers:
    Definitive BP7001sc mains
    Definitive C/L/R 3000 center
    Polk RT800i's rears
    Definitive supercube I Sub
    Audio:
    Onkyo TX-NR3010
    Emotiva XPA five Gen 3
    OPPO BDP-103 CD, SACD, DVD-A
    Video:
    Panasonic TC-P65ZT60
    OPPO BDP-103 Bluray
    Directv x's 2
  • jdog1
    jdog1 Posts: 15
    edited February 2002
    well just for you guys out there that like to talk about us cc people

i just love it when customers come in and act like THEY know what there are talking about and im stupid,,,

i had a customer tell me, when i was trying to tell his stepson about hdtv, that he had a ge tv 50inch and he had
    hdtv for the last 10 years through cable, he said "if you don't stop lieing to us were going to leave,

here is another example

i def want a 4-head vcr that has stereo sound, and then they hook it up with a push on coaxial cable and refuse to buy the stereo cables...that do not come with vcr's anymore"" because i'm just trying to sell them somthing extra

my fav..
    customer my dvd player is not working
    me well what channel do you have your tv on.
    customer channel 3
    me well thats your problem
    i get that at least once a day

thats the first thing i teach new co-workers
    """"ask if they are on channel 3

but here is what i have caught fellow co workers saying

you can get hdtv on cable???? not were i live jc tn

customer comes in " looks at phillips hdtv widescreen 34"
    and co workers say, yep that tv is just like the one you hang on the wall except it has the back too it

my god i want to smack them

but its those poeple that make us all look stupid

and i'm not,

O how i just love being bashed by you poeple

but i stiil love you guys because i learn somthing on
    boards like these every day

so don't judge us all buy the ones you talk too or it would be me judgeing you buy the dumb a$$ customers i deal with every day

but there are a lot of stupid cc and bb guys out there

O i didn't mean to say that
  • jcaut
    edited February 2002
    I didn't mean to offend you! I just thought some of that was really funny. In my experience, the CC people are generally a little better than the ones at BB. If you work there, and you know your stuff, then that's great! You need to come work in Ft. Smith, AR, cause you'd be exceptional, here! It wouldn't be so bad if they'd just admit that they don't know, instead of making up something and pretending that it's a fact.
    The MISinformation is what's annoying.

Jason
  • gidrah
    edited February 2002
    Welcome back stranger (than most)!
  • Systems
    Systems Posts: 14,873
    edited February 2002
    Originally posted by George Grand
    The FUNNIEST audio story I ever heard.

True story. I don't remember the venue. World reknowned audio designer Nelson Pass (Pass, Threshold) was demoing a new speaker design, The Plasmatron's. This was at a major audio/hi-fi show. It seems, that one of the drawbacks of this design (in addition to a probable $2,000,000/pair price tag) was that they produced large amounts of OZONE in the immediate vicinity of the speakers. ENOUGH ozone in this case, to render him unconscious! He had to be rushed to the hospital. I don't know if you could say they sounded good, but I guess one COULD say that they were a knockout.

"Nobody looks good bent over, especially while picking up a check."
    FZ

In 1980 I was in the Plasmatronics suite at the (Riviera, er, Polo Towers, er, Hilton? man the brain cells aint working like they used to) during the winter CES, with a whole bunch of people enjoying adult beverages, and listening to these purple glowing loudspeakers. The salesguy/owner was telling me about them, and showed me the helium tanks, and other goodies, I thought they were cool. After about 15 minutes and one beer, I began to feel light headed, and left to see more of the show. Later in the show I heard about people passing out, but thought it was just a fabrication. The company did sell about 50 pairs of the things over a couple of years, and I understand some still exist.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • joe logston
    edited February 2002
    sorry j-dog 1 we under stand what you are going through, now i know there are some smart sales men at cc . by the way with cc do you work at mybe if close we can come by and say hi. and thanks for the post reply
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub

• jdog1
    jdog1 Posts: 15
    edited February 2002
    i work at the johnson city tn store,

but remember i do agree there are alot of stupid cc poeple
    i have talked to them over the phone from other stores , i work with some

but thanks for the love guys ,,,

and if you ever come in to jc tn hollar
    because im sure there is alot i could learn from alot of people
    on this board

and just so you know everthing i learned was researched from
    the web, mag's, and you guys, because its a hobby///passtime and a love for home theater,,,,,,,,,,hehe big cc really didn't teach me
    all that much
  • TrappedUnder Ice
    TrappedUnder Ice Posts: 975
    edited February 2002
    We have cc and bb all over this town..and only one good high-end store that sells only retail..unless some sale..but still pricey. I dont even go near a bb... especialy when they told my wife that we could swap out our 486 cpu with a 686 cpu and not swap mother boards...when my wife called him stupid- he said he went to school to learn about this"... then my wife got the manager..and he called his employee stupid.. what a dumb arss!

besides..bb has nothing I'm intersed in'

Now cc...has its good and bad. Ther are some who could not tell his head from his butt..but there are a couple that do...and they are who I deal with...

I have even mentioned the homtheater sites and polk forums and like...if y'll want to do your jobs right..need to get brouse these to learn...

guess i'm the kind that if ya want to do good job...then you'd learn what ya need too..

oh well..ramble..ramble... (we have a cons hear that is worse than bb or CC.... ) but that is anther story
  • Eddie624
    edited February 2002
    What can u expect from employess of this big chain retailers. I think for what they pay they arent going to get and real professionsals in the field of home theater. That is my take on it. Most of what i see is like college guys working there. I dont think they pay those guys enuff for them to even want to spend time researching and learning about what they sell. I know when i am not working i dont want to spend my free time with something dealing with work. Isnt 40 hrs or so of work enuff????
  • joe logston
    edited February 2002
    most of them are young kids trying to make a buck fresh out of high school what do you expect they got to learn some how you are right they should get on this and other web sites to learn .
    . rt-7 mains
    rt-20p surounds
    cs-400i front center
    cs-350 ls rear center
    2 energy take 5, efects
    2- psw-650 , subs
    1- 15" audiosource sub