db series all around, but the timbre doesn't match

bokdaddy
bokdaddy Posts: 176
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Hey guys, I'm a newbie who asked some questions during the summer about head units and the db series, etc. But after having a Pioneer DEH-1600 and the db525's and db 690's for a few months I'm completely unsatisfied. The sound up front is completely different from the sound in the back. There is virtually no bass in the front two seats, but in the back it's boomy and mucks up the midrange. (oh, I'm driving a '99 Hyundai Elantra)

I've done my best to tinker with my head unit settings and get the best sound but it hasn't done anything. Is there something I can do? Dynamat maybe to bring the bass up front? I had been thinking about buying some damping sheets but wasn't sure if it would help as much as I would like. It's very strange how different even the highs sound from the front to the back of the car and I don't get what's going on. Any thoughts?
Home:
Denon AVR-1803
Polk CSi30
Polk RTi70
Polk RTi28
Polk PSW-303

Car:
Kenwood KDC-BT945U
RF Punch P400-4
Polk MM6501
Polk MM651
RF Punch P300-1
Boston Acoustics G312-4
Post edited by bokdaddy on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    if no one said that you shouldn't be using rear speakers, that's totally our bad. cause that's the issue... you're using 5-1/4" in the front, and 6x9 in the back, and the 6x9 have way more bass, but the 5.25 are gonna be cleaner. i say turn the fader way up front, to the point that you're not really aware of the rear speakers; 5.25" speakers simply do not do bass, that's just a simple fact. if you don't have a sub, that's pretty much going to be a necessity :(.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Thats not suprising at all. 5.25's were never intended to put out bass and frankly arent capable of it whereas 6x9's can put out quite a bit due to their increased size.

Also, I would bet youre using head unit power only to power these speakers and that youve got the fader set right in the middle. Thats not gonna work and Ill tell ya why.

Your h/u is only putting out 15 watts. I dont care what the specs say, its 15 watts and that is way to little power. So this means your h/u runs out of power way before it gets to the required amount to push some bass resonse out of the 5.25's so they distort and sound crappy.

Also, with the fader set in the middle, the 6x9s are getting the same power as the 5.25's. This is bad because with both getting the same power youve got the same frequencies hitting your ears at different time intervals which smears the detail. the majority of your soundstage should be coming from the front.

Here's what you need to do. First, buy an amp. 50x4 at least but 75x4 preferably. This 80x4 Profile would be perfect. Its not a competition level amp but its solidly built and puts out clean power. This would make youre speakers sound 10 times better just by the good, clean power alone.

Next youll cross over the front speakers at 80 Hz and run the 6x9s full range. Next turn the gain down on the rear speakers a good bit. Off the top of my head, Id say if you set the front gain at the "noon" position, Id set the rear gain at 10:00. Try this for starters and you can adjust from there.

So in summary, youre speakers dont sound good because A) youre underpowering them and B) you have them tuned wrong. Do yourself a favor and spend an extra $150 and get an amp. Youll be amazed at the difference it makes.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    get a 4 channel amp, use 2 channels for the front speakers, bridge the other 2 for a sub...scratch the 6x9s
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Yes, ideally buying a sub would be the best solution. Also dumping the 6x9s would be even better but since youve already bought them Id say keep them. Tuned down to a low level they wont affect SQ at all.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    nor will they affect the music :). if you feel the need to keep them, do so, it's all your call, but i would personally lose them, and amp the fronts and a sub.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    I would use the head unit to power the 6x9"s and get a good 2-channel amp for the front 5.25"s Then you might invest in a mono-amp for the sub, or subs... whenever.
    (or use Cody's 4ch idea)
    The cleaner amp will help your fronts out a great deal, and you will simply keep your unit faded full to front, 0 to back. When you have passengers who want some music too, fade a little to the back, which will be crappy power out of the headunit. That'll save you from wasting your money to amp up the rear speakers you don't need without back-seaters.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Using head unit power is never a good idea. $150 for a 4 channel amp is way to cheap to skimp. Do it the right way and skip the h/u power altogether.

• bokdaddy
    bokdaddy Posts: 176
    edited October 2004
    Thanks for the thoughts guys. I'll look into getting a 4-way amp. I just thought it was very strange. A friend of mine has Infinity 5.25's and 6x9's and his sounds the same throughout. And his are hooked up to the factory stereo. But I'll look into amps. Thanks again.
    Home:
    Denon AVR-1803
    Polk CSi30
    Polk RTi70
    Polk RTi28
    Polk PSW-303

Car:
    Kenwood KDC-BT945U
    RF Punch P400-4
    Polk MM6501
    Polk MM651
    RF Punch P300-1
    Boston Acoustics G312-4
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    That would be wise. Then adjust the gains appropriately. Trust us, its not the speakers fault. Those DB's are more than capable speakers.