does HU matter that much

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
with everyones recemendation i didnt buy a sony amp to power my speakers instead i saved my money and got a phonix gold 45x4 and im loving it. ive decided however to get a new head unit, one that supports dvd so my question is does it matter which head unit i get if the speakers are gonna be powered by an amp because their a metrick in dash dvd player with 2 2volt pre outs which costs 170 and a jvs with 2 2volt pre outs which costs 500 so i was wondering if it made a difference
thanx guys
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    well a good quality head unit is MUCH more than just an internal amplifier...
    so yes, it does matter
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    dvd headunits are going to be expensive, take that as a given. the quality of a headunit has nothing to do with the internal amp - except for the voltage of the preouts - when you're using an amplifier. so those "60-watt mosfet" hu's don't mean squat. what you should look for is:

A) name - generally, go with pioneer, alpine, or kenwood (my personal preferences are in that order, but whatever works for you); there are certainly other names out there, they're smaller for a reason, usually.

B) features - preout voltage and number of preouts (for a very high quality system, three (high/mid/low), for full surround sound, also three, for a decent to very good system, two, no less than that or you get into splitting issues eventually). how easy is it to use - this is important, you will want to be able to keep your eyes on the road (this is what turned me away from eclipse, i didn't like the feel). built in equalizer - depending upon preference you may like ease-of-use over flexibility, i prefer the latter for more options (more bands that are more adjustable). xover - same thing, adjustibility is key here, especially for points and slopes. for a dvd hu you'll want to look into expansion - how easy it is to add more stuff, like screens, cd changer, etc.

thats my 2 cents.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Stick with either Alpine, Pioneer, Kenwood or Eclpise with output voltages of 4 volts or more and youll be fine.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D