SDA goodness is up and running!

Options
Jstas
Jstas Posts: 14,712
edited October 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Got a "makeshift" rig up and running. It's an Onkyo pre-amp, a dbx CDP and an Adcom amp. I was using the Carver pre-amp and it sounded better but it was dirty so I gotta clean contacts and pots in the Carver.

Anyway, as soon as I get all the crap out from around it, I can set it up properly but I just couldn't wait to let them breathe once again!
Expert Moron Extraordinaire

You're just jealous 'cause the voices don't talk to you!
Post edited by Jstas on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Excellent...

Side Question: How do you like that dbx CDP?
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Jstas
    edited October 2004
    Options
    It's old so it doesn't have the greatest d/a converter in it and it doesn't have the same error correction ability and memory that newer ones have so it will skip. But put a clean CD in and it performs admirably! Give that George told me that if I could fix it, I could have I can't complain!

Sound quality is pretty good. The problem I have is that on some of the over-boosted recordings on some CD's, the CDP tends to show it's lack of oomph in the D/A converter because I'll get some signal degradation in the high end. Overall though, I am pleased.

• Tour2ma
    Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hey, the price was right...

Thanks, I've been curious about them just based on a general respect for dbx gear...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
    "There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2004
    Options
    About damn time John, sheesh....wink wink, nudge nudge
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • Jstas
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Cool beans!

A buddy at work just dropped about 20 feet of 10 guage speaker wire on my desk!

I was bitching earlier about not having any spare wire of decent guage and that I'd have to go buy some somewhere. He just got done wiring up his HT and had extra lengths leftover. So he took a 23 foot section of 10 guage speaker wire and dropped it on my desk and said "Just buy me a beer or something when I come over to listen to it."

So the SDA's are getting 10 guage wire when I get home today!

WHEEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!