rca question

neomagus00
neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
is there a way to sum two signal inputs? i.e. can i in some way put two rca signals together to sum to mono?
It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
Post edited by neomagus00 on

Comments

• mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited October 2004
    Not sure the question is too clear... could ya give another example or rephrase it?
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited October 2004
    u mean take stereo left and right down to a single channel correct? if that's the case all you'll need is a Y splitter, which type you need (2 female to 1 male, 2 male to 1 female, 2 female to 1 female, or 2 male to 1 male) depends on the application, lets say you've got one pair of RCA cables that you're combining to a single signal at the amp, you'd want 2 female to 1 male... they make them for all aplications so it's pretty simple to pull off...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    yup, that's the deal; is it really that simple? just smash the two inputs into one output? cause that makes things way easier...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited October 2004
    yep yep, just get the right y splitter for the application and you're set...
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    bitchin, thanks

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    dont over think things;)
    it really is that simple...
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited October 2004
    Haha. Man, I thought you were askin somethin different.. but yeah, its funny how simple some things can be. Reminds me when I did my friend's truck. 2 subs, 4 channel amp, stereo signal...had to make it go mono first (no mono switch on amp), then split it back out to the 4 channels. I made him think about it for a while and he cracked up when I mentioned that all you need are y-splitters...

We kinda (racist term)ed-it by using a total of 4 y-splitters... 2female-1male -> 1female-2male, (2)1female-2male... Think that might bring some noise into the system?
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited October 2004
    That only works if the two signals are identical though, e.g. no time correction, volume differences, fading, etc...
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    a real sum out is actually a SUM of the two, and you'd have to do it electronically. The y-splitter will work, but it will be an average out, not a sum. OOO... big deal...

Simple is good.

If you do come out with (phase, etc) problems, remember low-end freq's tend to be mono anyway, you could get away with running just the left into the amp or something...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    okay, well isn't the average just the sum divided by 2?

this is what i'm doing: i'm making a crossover system for two speakers and a sub. because of the equipment and impedances involved, i have to run it one of two ways:
    1) do one sub coil and one speaker box off of each channel, and do a passive xover; primary disadvantage - about 1200 feet of wire to do the inductors needed for the passive xover, kinda expensive
    2) do an active xover that ends up with LFE on one channel and high frequencies on another, then amplify that and put it into the right speakers; primary disadvantage - don't get true stereo, only the same signal (complete, though) out of each speaker.

so now you know why i'm doing it the second way, and i have all the bits for the active xover ordered, cept it needs to take in just one signal (damn home amplifier prices!). so, can i just smash the 2 together, or do i have to do an electronic sum?

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    Neo..:okay, well isn't the average just the sum divided by 2?
    Yes. Hence "OOO big deal comment"

/\ Edited for clarity.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    which one's yes - reverse splitter or electronic sum? :D