too many choiced

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Alright... i searched and read on inverted/normal dome tweeters and silk vs aluminum, but it only got me so far. I have heard good thing about certain brands but i cannot decide which to go with.

1)Diamond Audio Motorsport M6 series
2)JL Audio XR series
3)Focal Polyglass series
4)CDT CL series

Ive read the Focals are very harsh/bright which I am thinking about moving away from b/c my current tweeters are harsh and it can get to me at times.

Which offers overall best performance, and will sound the best?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    as for inverted dome and dome... it has to do with the dispersion angle... you can see in specs that the domes have wider and inv. dome has narrower. This is something you need to decide when you decide how you'll be angling them.

As for sounds of silk vs al, etc... I hear that silk sounds 'warmer' but I haven't gotten that far.. I still need brake parts hehe..

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Everything you listed are EXCELLENT speakers and will sound awesome.

Once you get into that league, they will all work great.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    i have a hard time believing that you'll be able to tell the difference amongst those tweeters, except for two things - character and volume. some will be a couple db's more sensitive, and thus louder, and each will have a different character, much like any other high quality driver. this means that each will probably match best with mids of the same brand, so i'd say let that be your choice... pick a mid, then get their tweeter
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Ive heard all those except for the CDT and here is my take on em.

The JL XR would be my favorite. Its got supersweet midrange and very good midbass. The highs are not spectacular but as good as most speakers on the market. The x-over is extremely adjustable so you can tweak the hell out of it.

The Diamond M6 is also a great speaker. They have 2 models, one with an aluminium tweet and the other with a silk. The silk is smoother and the mids are very clean sounding. The only downside really is a lack of midbass.

The Focal is anything but harsh. These are the best out of the bunch. They have extremely smooth response and are very detailed. I would pick this tweeter over any of the other mentioned. Their only drawback is that they are made in France where the Diamonds are made in China and the XR's are made in Germany.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited October 2004
    The adire Koda 6.1's are also worth looking into
    www.adireaudio.com
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    I have the m6 series in my truck and have only one complaint--the lack of midbass...The JL XRs have better midbass, but I like the tweeter of the m6 series better. I'd put the polyglass series behind the m6 and the XRs and the CL series behind all of them. I'd take the m6 over the XRs because its easier to make up for lack of bass in the midrange than it is to make up for lack of detail in the tweeters. I got mine for $230 at www.onlinecarstero.com.
    No matter what you get, I'm sure you'll love em, out of the ones you listed, none of them are slouches.
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it