CD Player "upgrade" dilemma

Options
Early B.
Early B. Posts: 7,900
edited October 2004 in 2 Channel Audio
I currently have a Cambridge Audio 640C CD player. I'm wondering if I should upgrade it to a Jolida 100A or Music Hall MMF CD-25. Will I realize a significant difference or are they basically in the same class for sound and quality?

Any other suggestions for CD player upgrades are welcome. My budget is around $650 - $750 new or used.
HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

"God grooves with tubes."
Post edited by Early B. on

Comments

• F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I heard a stock Jolida vs a Cambridge 500, hands down the Jolida won and you get the sweet sound of tubes to boot.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Maybe with the Jolida, but the MMF would be a move "sideways" rather than up. You're gonna have to pony-up some serious bucks to beat the Azur, at least with any significant improvement.

With the budget you have, my bet is that you're not going to "better" the Azur--at least not to the point that the extra cost was worth it.

Listen to the Aha Njoe Toeb and the Rega Planet 2000. Both are in your range...
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • shack
    shack Posts: 11,154
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    I heard a stock Jolida vs a Cambridge 500, hands down the Jolida won and you get the sweet sound of tubes to boot.
    Are you dissin' my CDP....? :mad:

I've not heard the Azur or the Music Hall MMF CD-25 but the Jolida was a very nice CDP. I think everyone that heard it was impressed. Just ask Troy....He's selling his AMC CD8b to pick one up...and he has always held the AMC in high regard.
    "Just because you’re offended doesn’t mean you’re right." - Ricky Gervais

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • F1nut
    F1nut Posts: 49,794
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Nah, just reporting what I heard. The Cambridge is much better than a lot of others (Sony, Denon, etc.) I've heard.
    Political Correctness'.........defined

"A doctrine fostered by a delusional, illogical minority and rabidly promoted by an unscrupulous mainstream media, which holds forth the proposition that it is entirely possible to pick up a t-u-r-d by the clean end."

President of Club Polk

• shack
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by F1nut
    Nah, just reporting what I heard.
    I know, I heard it too.

"For those who believe, no proof is necessary. For those who don't believe, no proof is possible." - Stuart Chase

"Consistency requires you to be as ignorant today as you were a year ago." - Bernard Berenson
  • steveinaz
    steveinaz Posts: 19,522
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Both the Cambridge D500SE and 640C are on the brink of diminishing returns; meaning you'll have to spend a helluva alot to out-do them. There are very few players at/below $1 kilobuck that can better either.

I personally would upgrade my speakers before moving from a Cambridge to an $800-range CDP.
    Source: Bluesound Node 2i - Preamp/DAC: Benchmark DAC2 DX - Amp: Parasound Halo A21 - Speakers: MartinLogan Motion 60XTi - Shop Rig: Yamaha A-S501 Integrated - Shop Spkrs: Elac Debut 2.0 B5.2
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Thanks fellas. Just didn't want any weak links that weren't compatible with my "new" gear which consists of a Musical Fidelity A3CR pre, ODL HT-2 (essentially the same as the Odyssey Stratos), Polk Lsi7's and Hsu STF-2. I'll hang onto the Cambridge for a while.
    HT/2-channel Rig: Sony 50” LCD TV; Toshiba HD-A2 DVD player; Emotiva LMC-1 pre/pro; Rogue Audio M-120 monoblocks (modded); Placette RVC; Emotiva LPA-1 amp; Bada HD-22 tube CDP (modded); VMPS Tower II SE (fronts); DIY Clearwave Dynamic 4CC (center); Wharfedale Opus Tri-Surrounds (rear); and VMPS 215 sub

• TroyD
    TroyD Posts: 13,077
    edited October 2004
    Options
    You know, a couple of weeks ago, I would have scoffed at the notion that a source could make that much difference but it does. Not putting down shack's Cambridge which I feel is right there with the AMC but the Jolida just ran circles around them. To me, it is WELL worth waiting and saving the coinage for.

BDT
    I plan for the future. - F1Nut
  • BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I picked-up an Eastern Electric MiniMax on the cheap in an AudiogoN auction by the distributor Bill O'Connell. Some friends in MA auditioned it and gave it very high marks. Wish I had more info at this time, but it won't be here until tomorrow.

Here's a link to the distributor's site if anyone's interested:

Morningstar Audio
  • DAGLJAM6
    DAGLJAM6 Posts: 635
    edited October 2004
    Options
    I put in some serious listening time to the setup at Polkfest south
    and I'd have to say that shack's Cambridge is a cut above for the
    money and a few months ago I was considering the 640c azur until the Jolida deal came through. I find the Jolida "allows" you to enjoy a wider range of music(not styles as much as "hot" recordings) for example take Alan Parsons-"I Robot",the high hat and/or snare has always been a bit harsh on LP as well as CD but played through the jolida seemed tamer, less bright without muddying the sound.

Dave
  • TroyD
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by BlueMDPicker
    I picked-up an Eastern Electric MiniMax on the cheap in an AudiogoN auction by the distributor Bill O'Connell. Some friends in MA auditioned it and gave it very high marks. Wish I had more info at this time, but it won't be here until tomorrow.

Here's a link to the distributor's site if anyone's interested:

Morningstar Audio

I saw that auction and was curious about the player....look forward to hearing your thoughts, meanwhile, I got to go open up the box on my Jolida. :D:D:D:D:D:D

BDT
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Troy -- you gotta give us a review on that Jolida. I'm very interested in hearing your first impressions with it hooked up to your own gear.

• shack
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by Early B.
    Troy -- you gotta give us a review on that Jolida. I'm very interested in hearing your first impressions with it hooked up to your own gear.
    He could do that without even getting out his boxcutter. Dave's was in his system for at least 4 days that I know of and maybe more. When Jesse, myself, Dave or Troy talk about the Jolida it was hooked up to his Conrad Johnson tube pre, Carver monoblocks and the Carver Amazings. And as much as I was kidding with Jesse, It did slap the Cambridge D500SE around and put it in it's place. It was VERY good!

• BlueMDPicker
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    I saw that auction and was curious about the player....look forward to hearing your thoughts, meanwhile, I got to go open up the box on my Jolida. :D:D:D:D:D:D

I'll let you know what I think. It'll be a few days. I want to audition it with the RusSman PS Audio amp and the SDA-SRS 1.2's I'm picking up Saturday. :D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D:D

(first smiley **** don't stand a chance) ;)
  • Early B.
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Was that a stock Jolida you guys were listening to?

• dorokusai
    dorokusai Posts: 25,576
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Hey Mike have fun and congrats, Jesse is a great person to travel with.

End Hijack.

The Jolida was stock as far as I know, and was outstanding. I'm also a Cambridge Audio fan, and they're just two different sounds alltogether.
    CTC BBQ Amplifier, Sonic Frontiers Line3 Pre-Amplifier and Wadia 581 SACD player. Speakers? Always changing but for now, Mission Argonauts I picked up for $50 bucks, mint.
  • shack
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Yes, I belive it was. If I'm not mistaken, this is the machine and the place it came from. Dave or Troy can correct me if I'm wrong.

http://cgi.audiogon.com/cgi-bin/sh_store1.pl?dgtlplay&1102989705&item&Underwoodwally&demo&

• DAGLJAM6
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Bone stock with approximately 100 hours on it.
    Just ordered a pair of new tubes for it. It's supposed to be pretty accepting of rolling but a new one needs 100 hours of run time, from what i've read, to really open up.
    Keep that in mind Troy.....:cool:

Dave
  • TroyD
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Yuppers. Out of the box, it's not nearly as impressive. It's got a very veiled sound without a lot of detail. I've got it playing to get it broken in a bit....

Whatcha looking at for tubes??

BDT
  • DAGLJAM6
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Troy,
    I'm gonna go with the EH's this first go round but i'm eyeing some RCA nos's down the road (both received good reviews in another forum)
    I expected the Jolida to sound like that new but you know that given time even on the stock tubes she'll sing.

Oh, and shack and anyone else check audiogon for demos/used and send an email to Brian at Venus HiFi he can deal on new units
    from time to time.

Dave
  • BlueMDPicker
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by TroyD
    I've got it playing to get it broken in a bit....

Congrats on the new arrival. I'm looking forward to hearing your review once she burns in and opens up. Put it on repeat for a couple days with "In a Godadavida" spinning. :eek: