Got a different car!

swerve
swerve Posts: 1,862
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
or getting I should say.....
a 96' Bonneville SSEI and damn it's sharp as hell looking and a real solid car.

I'm pretty happy with what I'm about to purchase and even happier that I don't have to get a loan to buy it :D .

Gonna have my grandpa (mechanic) look over it tomorrow since the guy @ the dealership lemme have it for 2 days. It's a fun car thus far (heh... that rhymed)

What's even better about this is their giving me 800 trade in on my 86' buick lesabre.

Can't wait to put sys. in it. I know I have 5.25's up front but I want 6.5's so what should I do? Or are there decent 5.25's I could use?

Thanks

-adam
cats.vans.bag...
Post edited by swerve on

Comments

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    certainly good 5-inchers exist, but they have an even bigger bass problem than 6.5"s... in a truly balanced system, i would be forced to reccommend a dedicated midbass driver, but that would take more work than what i would say you should do to your car, namely cutting a bigger hole in the door :D. other than glassing pods, that's the only way you're getting 6" speakers in a 5" hole. it's not that difficult, just take your time and don't cut anything that doesn't need to be cut - like the window! (saw that happen, a guy took a giant chunk out of the bottom of the window, like $300 to replace) - and you should be just fine. assuming there's enough depth to put biggish speakers. but congrats on the new car.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited October 2004
    how bout them kickpanels that q-logic makes? If not I can have a shop do the cutting.... I'm not a real good paper cutter let alone something like this.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    the qlogic stuff tends to be not sturdy, and it is very generic - not likely to be suited particularly well to whatever you choose to put in the car. you can certainly get a shop to do the cutting, but it truly isn't that difficult; with a decent cutter and patience it'll take maybe a half hour to do it right, just check your progress constantly... if your grandpa's a mechanic, he should be relatively proficient in cutting like this, it's fairly common in rebuilds etc.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • swerve
    edited October 2004
    I'll check into that... I really want 6.5's but if I have to end up going with 5.25's I guess I can do that aswell. I guess I could just look for another car but that'd be pretty ignorant just because of speaker size especially since it's a good car...

-adam

EDIT: I've read that this car has like 3 different speaker sizes in the front doors and not one site can tell me what I have.... I'm so confused.... anyone know where a good fit guide is?
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    hmm... if there's a car-specific forum out there, ask them, or just take off the door panel and measure it yourself, or try crutchfield - that's what they've done. i vote measuring it yourself, just stick a ruler across the hole in the door.

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited October 2004
    Excuse my car audio ignorance...

But since a woofer basket is general tapered...

Why couldnt you just make MDF circles (you could probally pull it off with a total of 1" depth and make it as it gets wider as it comes out and mount the woof on that? 1 more inch wont be a big problem on a door, I wouldnt think...
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    actually, that is an excellent idea, depending upon only upon how much space he's got between the door skin and the door panel; i've got about four inches there, and he may have significantly more or less. so, adam, how much space is there? actually, where is the hole in the door itself? down next to the floor, i'd assume... so if you can, pop the grille off, and measure from the inside of the door skin to the hole in the metal. if you've got at least two inches, you should be just fine with that idea... and if you've got more, i've got an idea to help improve the sound - you can angle the mid...

man, vrmx, now you've got me drawing up cutting diagrams for my car!

• VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited October 2004
    :D

Glad I could be of some assistance! :D
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited October 2004
    Thats a relatively beefy car at 240hp and 280lbft torque. Not bad :D
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    as far as what size speakers you have...take the panels off...
    you could always get the kickpanels, theyre not a bad idea at all
    theyre going to give you better sound quality 99% of the time than your doors will
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited October 2004
    u could always just get the q-logic ones and use them as a template to 'glass your own stronger ones.... i'll probably wind up doing that in my truck....
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • exalted512
    edited October 2004
    or just glass the back of the q-logic ones...same thing...
    -Cody
  • swerve
    edited October 2004
    I don't see myself glassing anything... I really just need to dive into something and learn one of these days but I never can find the time...

Thanks for all the help thus far!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by swerve
    or getting I should say.....
    a 96' Bonneville SSEI and damn it's sharp as hell looking and a real solid car.
    -adam

Man, I love those cars. I think they're beautiful, not to mention pretty luxurious and sporty (at least, I think). Hope it goes alright.
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520
  • swerve
    edited October 2004
    CHECKED OUT CLEAN TODAY AT THE SHOP AND MY MOM GETS TO GO TO THE DEALERSHIP TOMORROW AND TRY TO WORK OUT A DEAL (WHICH WON'T BE A PROB)

yay for caps.... and cars!!!!!!!!

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • swerve
    edited October 2004
    http://home.mchsi.com/~swerve/9831_002.jpg

My new HU... :D:D:D got it tonight... how I love employee discount
    cats.vans.bag...
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    looks great. I prefer the buttons on the bottom not grouped to the side, but it seems to be the style now... ahh well.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2004
    Man, that's the one I had decided on when I thought I was going to redo my car's stereo system. Great HU!!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • exalted512
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by LittleCar_w/12s
    looks great. I prefer the buttons on the bottom not grouped to the side, but it seems to be the style now... ahh well.
    just Alpine...all their headunits look the same
    -Cody
  • audiobliss
    edited October 2004
    sweet, man! Supercharged with dual exhaust! Pretty green, too! Way to go!
    In Use
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    you really should blank out the licence plate, you never know what someone could do w/ that...

other than that, pimpin ride

• swerve
    edited October 2004
    yea
    i was going to do that and i had paint opened but then forgot... thx for remind... i'll reup them in a sec

-adam

edit: about the green... it looks blue and almost purple in the light. it looks so nice when it rains too

edit2: back up n runnin'
    cats.vans.bag...
  • exalted512
    edited October 2004
    that is a sweet car dude!!!
    very very nice---id be completely stoked
    as far as the license plate thing...i dont know who started that but its pretty stupid...i mean...hundreds of ppl see it everyday and already know where you live...its kind of pointless...
    -Cody
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    better safe than sorry... those hundred aren't sitting at the largest source of free information ever... if i wanted to i could find out every detail of a person's life - credit history, social security number, every house you've lived in, every phone number you've had, etc. - from their licence plate, it's just a matter of knowing where to look

• spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited October 2004
    It's kinda scary what you can do these days.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • swerve
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    better safe than sorry... those hundred aren't sitting at the largest source of free information ever... if i wanted to i could find out every detail of a person's life - credit history, social security number, every house you've lived in, every phone number you've had, etc. - from their licence plate, it's just a matter of knowing where to look
    I can do that by opening a file cabinet at work.... unsupervised as well.... and the sad thing is these people have alot to lose but I'd never do such a thing.

If someone wants your identity they will get it whether from a license plate online or a piece of mail they steal from you.

back on topic: i need to get pics of my HU and the interior
    cats.vans.bag...