Impedence/channel

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Saw this on the spec sheet of a 4/3/2 600watt amp...

• Stability with 2-Ohm speaker loads in order to effortlessly drive multiple speakers from each channel

Does this mean I can use Two channels to power my seps, at 4 Ohms, then bridge two channels then instead of powering one sub, I'll power 2 subs wired in parallel, at 2 Ohms?

I'm just getting into spending into car audio, so I'd like to get this right. Wouldn't the amp have a problem with doing that, I mean, two channels through 4 Ohms and the bridged channels through 2 Ohms?

I know well enough how 2 Ohm load stability assures no problems, but with this 4 channel amp with each channel into different loads....
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Im not real sure what youre talking about.

If youre talking about running the front channels to your speakers and then bridging the 2 rear channels to 1 sub then yes you can.

You can even run the fronts to speakers and then run 2 subs off each rear channel provided they were 4 ohm subs in parallel.

If youre asking if you can run speakers off the front and rear channel AND bridge them to subs also then Id say no. Bridging a sub makes the amp put out everything its got. If you bridge 2 channels AND run 2 speakers parallel youre likely to fry something.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    agreed - if each channel can handle 2 ohms normally, they can handle only four when bridged.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs