Problem with replacing my stereo

barney
barney Posts: 29
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
My car came with a cheap in-dash stereo and I plan to install it as soon as possible. The problem is, it is double the standard height (at least I hope it is). Instead of buying a double sized stereo to replace it, can I just install a cd player and cassette player separately??? How will this work??
Post edited by barney on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    There is an installation kit available to git virtually any model car out there. Go to your local Circuit City or any stereo shop and they should have a kit that will fit a cd player with no problem.

You can also check out Crutchfield.com. They have a bunch of kits as well and may have one to fit your car.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    i find it highly unlikely you'll get a CD/cassette combo to work. one of the HU companies MAY have an external unit that links through their proprietary auxiliary input that will read casettes, but don't count on it. check cruthchfield for ideas, maybe there's a single-DIN cassette/cd player out there. just don't buy it from crutchfield. and mac's right about the installation kits - if i can get one for my car, anyone can...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2004
    What's wrong with Crutchfield? I think they're probably the best ligit online elctronics retailer out there.
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    theyre too expensive
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Well, theyre not too expensive because they are basically retail prices and not too far above Sound Domain. But if you compare them to Onlinecarstereo or The Zeb then they are quite a bit more expensive but then again those arent authorized dealers and Crutchfield and SD are.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    thezeb is authorized last time i checked...and SD is considerably less cheap, you have to remember SD has free shipping as well...so thats even more money off
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • mbdyer12
    mbdyer12 Posts: 220
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    ...and SD is considerably less cheap, you have to remember SD has free shipping as well...so thats even more money off
    -Cody

Less cheap or more cheap? :D Oh how I love being a smart-****.
    2005 Subaru Impreza WRX
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    it's like bknauss (anal correction man) reincarnated! or doubled.
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • barney
    barney Posts: 29
    edited October 2004
    thanks. i'm going with rutchfield. they have a installation kit for my car which fits a stereo and the other part is a pocket for cd's.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    I would prefer to order from Crutchfield. Theyve been around about 100 years and have an excellent customer service dept.

If they would bring their MM6's down to $225 or so Id probably order from them just for that "safer" feel.