MECA SQ competition in Dickson, TN

MacLeod
MacLeod Posts: 14,358
edited September 2011 in Car Audio & Electronics
Just found out there is going to be a show near me. Ive never been to a competition and since this is the league I want to get in Im gonna check it out.

Hell its only 2 hours away and admission is free. Cant beat that. The closest shows I ever knew of were like 8 hours away in Memphis!

Too bad none of y'all live near here. This would be a good place for a Club Polk get together.
polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
Post edited by MacLeod on

Comments

• [Deleted User]
    [Deleted User] Posts: 0
    edited October 2004
    MECA is a little different than IASCA, SLAP, or USACi. They judge on sound and install seperately. I think you'll have fun. Hell, you might as well enter. It's only like $20 to enter.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Yeah, MECA seems to be more for the entry level enthusiast or rather one that doesnt want to drop the kids college fund on a system.

I did think about giving it a shot but my system is right in the middle of the "in progress" stage and Ive got a good bit left to do. I need to get those MM6's, a sub that can handle 350+ watts, some more damping for my doors and build an amp board to fit my Crossfires. I figure Ive got another $500 to come up with and Ill be ready to give it a try.

Im dying too. Now that Ive decided to give competing a shot Im chomping at the bit to get the stuff. Ive got all these wonderful ideas and no money to try em out! :(
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Just got back in from the show. I was kind of disappointed tho. They didnt have anything set up for spectators at all. It was in a parking lot in a park and you couldnt tell which cars were competitors or which were specators. Apparantly everybody knew each other cause nobody was by their cars, they were all in groups hanging out so I just kind of walked around be myself.

I did get to see the DB drag and drive by. That was pretty cool. Not many heavy hitters. Most were in the 120-130 db range but a few hit 145-147. Then this dude rolled up in a Suburban with all the seats taken out (took out the drivers seat when he got to the lot) and he hit a 155.9. That was pretty cool.

I was expecting the cars to be set up for viewing or at least have the competitors available. I expected to learn a few things but I didnt get to talk to anybody or see much of nuthin. The only way I knew what equipment some were running was by seeing it as it drove by and recognizing it.

If this show was any indicator, Im not going to have much problem in the Stock class and Ill possibly SMOKE the Amateur class. None of the installs looked very clean. Hell most of the cars looked like P.O.S.'s.

Overall I enjoyed it but I wasnt that impressed. Im still gonna join and compete. I guess Ill start there and then move up to the big league with IASCA.

• LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    Yeah the MECA show's I've seen are a bit un-spectator oriented. Mostly it's just a bunch of guys from the area that know each other and are showing off what they have. There's a big divide from the real competitors and the show-off punks, mainly how much time they've put into it, which is visible in the quality and sound of their install. I like the 'real people' appeal of it, but I, too, was a bit disappointed to not get to talk with anyone. I am friends with tthe owner of the shop up there in MD, and that's about all of the conversation to be had there.

I would love to see a MECA class type show combined with the real 'show' experience of the IASCA shows. To me, the MECAs seem a bit too garage-band and not enough concert.

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    My problem with it was they wouldnt have to make that big a production out of it. At least for the SQ competitors why not just line them up and have them open for display while the judging was going on?

There were a lot of TRASHY cars and installs. One was a Caprice Classic that was a major POS. The backseat had literally been ripped out with wires and cloth hanging everywhere. He did hit a 147 db or so but my God it looked horrible.

LOL, I may be over preparing for my entrance on the competition scene. Im planning to have everything mounted cleanly with virtually zero wires showing, a marble finish to my amp board and sub box, doors panels, door skins and dashboards will all be farily dampened and Ill have a 1/2" MDF baffle, complete with damping for my mids, a sub matched to the box AND amp power and a bi-amped front stage. From what I saw at this show, that qualifies me for the Expert+ class and Im going into the Amateur class!

• neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    well then take your awesome install and whoop their pos asses!
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Of course itll be my luck the first show I enter is the one all the bad asses "Amateurs" show up for. Ill pull up and one guy next to me will have Focal/Tru Tech and the other will be DLS/ Xtant both with lazer guided imaging projectors and graphic harmonic balancers and everything! :rolleyes:

(I know those things dont exist but they sounded cool :D )

• neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    strangely enough, they both do exist, and it just might be your luck to see em at your first comp... but i'd sure hope not...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    a lot of ppl use lasers for imaging
    i dunno about a graphic harmonic equalizer though...lol
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    i'd figure that to be something like precision power's MaxxBass, only with a screen and an eq built in... i dunno, i'm sure something like that exists...

and a laser guided imaging projector brings to mind the videos to be found on the net of a laser-guided bomb being filmed from an attack jet.

• MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Well then Polk guys, since Ill be going in carrying your flag, youd better fork over some of those lazer balancer thingies! :D

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited October 2004
    That balancer thingy says:
    "DSP and psychoacoustics to cleverly manipulate bass delivery to the ear"
    So I really consider it not true sound, as the person who uses that is just covering up their lack of ability to build great timing and alignment in by hand.
    Furthermore, I wouldn't trust "psychoacoustics" everyone's perception is different.

So Mac, Go in there with the POLK flag high and wave it. Show them what a little sweat and blood means for an install, and how you can absolutely smash them with it.

We're rootin for ya Mac! Just remember pics and event news. Heck, maybe you'll start a trend and we'll all go kick **** for POLK!
    -Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    Well, its gonna be a while. I need $190 for the MM6's, $100 for the MM2104 and then about $100 for some damping and wood. I know that doesnt seem like much but now that business is slow, Ill be saving about $25 a month :( .

I am however looking for a better driving job so hopefull before too long Ill be making quite a bit more and Ill be able to get things together sooner (although Im sure it will still be just in time to see the $190 MM6 go out of stock :mad: ). I would love to get things set up by the first of the year.

• AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    I know that doesnt seem like much but now that business is slow, Ill be saving about $25 a month :( .
    OT, but what is it that you do?
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    hes a trucker
    free beer for everyone!!
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    I drive a Miller Lite truck. I work a grocery store route, deliver it and work it up. I get paid on commission which sucks from Labor Day till after Thanksgiving, then sucks again after New Years till mid April. The summer rocks. Works my gonads off but I bring home the scratch!

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited October 2004
    Ahh.. Miller wouldn't hire me... They've got a dist. right down the street.. Maybe it was because I was under 21 at the time... eh??

• MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    You only have to be 18 to deliver beer.

They also prefer you have a Class A CDL.

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited October 2004
    The negighbor that reccomended me said they train, but I don't know him very well.. ah well..

• MacLeod
    edited September 2011
    Saw this in the "related threads" on the bottom of my latest MECA thread and got a kick out of it. I love seeing how clueless I was just 7 years ago. I go to a tiny, local show in a small town and expected major competitors, show cars, dancing girls, fireworks and all kinds of stuff. I do remember seeing all this hoopty SPL cars rolling thru and thinking WTF?

I do regret not competing with the MM6's. I bet they would've held up very well especially in midbass

• arun1963
    arun1963 Posts: 1,797
    edited September 2011
    MacLeod wrote: »
    Saw this in the "related threads" on the bottom of my latest MECA thread and got a kick out of it. I love seeing how clueless I was just 7 years ago. I go to a tiny, local show in a small town and expected major competitors, show cars, dancing girls, fireworks and all kinds of stuff. I do remember seeing all this hoopty SPL cars rolling thru and thinking WTF?

I do regret not competing with the MM6's. I bet they would've held up very well especially in midbass

Well dude at least you were 30 back then, can't tell you how many times I will overthink things and get all psyched up only to have them turn out to be damp squibs........I guess if I haven't learned at 47 I'm never going to.:cool:

BTW are you in touch with Neo? Curious how he's shaped up 10 years down the line.
  • MacLeod
    edited September 2011
    Nope. He just stopped posting on here and never came back. I got to meet him at Polkfest in '05 and he was a young dude so he probably grew up and got a life. :biggrin: