The Off-Topic Thread!

LittleCar_w/12s
LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Here's and Idea! (Lets just make this clear to all of our new members here.) This side of Polk's forum has no off-topic forum of it's own, and we do tend to keep to ourselves here. This will mean that we tend to slide off topic, though we mean not to offend or confuse anyone.

Let this thread serve as a temporary off-topic thread until we, too, may get an off-topic room of our own. In addition, I have a POLL attatched for the active members of the C/A side to show their opinion.

In the future, if we get off topic in a thread, we can post a link to our new thread in the proposed room, but until then, we will happilly wade through this one, which is delineated as to show that is is not of direct use to any newbie members...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
Post edited by LittleCar_w/12s on

Comments

• MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    OK, whos the one guy that voted no? :D
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by MacLeod
    OK, whos the one guy that voted no? :D
    It was me!!!! HAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!11oneone I'm NEVER off-topic so I don't need an off-topic room!

-Austin

BTW, I'm kidding. I voted yes :)
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    the options shouldve been
    a) yes
    b) no one cares about my opinion so ill go away now
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    lol, but that wouldn't be democratic... there has to be a choice between agreeing with the big guns and being ostracized...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • exalted512
    edited October 2004
    8) This is not a democracy
    from the forum rules...there you go:D
    -Cody
  • swerve
    swerve Posts: 1,862
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    -Cody
    Now that my friends

is what's up... Cody learnin them kids some stuffs.

I'm all for an OT because I'm never on topic or someone says something that triggers a thought and I post it.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    *scratches head*
    So there's already an off topic forum... but you guys don't want to use it...
    And you want a special off topic forum... even though it would only serve 5 people...

You've got to be kidding me. You want Polk to waste more space on the server for 5 people???
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • swerve
    edited October 2004
    I think they just want a stickied thread in this forum... is what I've gained from this.. :D

I think that would work good if not better than a whole different forum because those OT threads die off pretty quick.

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    well, a stickied thread would quickly grow to an immense size, and it'd be impossible to find the most recent topics.

bknauss - how does making a new section for OT threads take more space? we're gonna post em, new forum or not, so might as well give them a proper home.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    So it takes no space to create the links for the forum and the actual code so that forum could function among other things?
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    the number of messages that would be on the new forum would quickly out-space the code required to implement it, which shouldn't be a ton anyway, as it'd essentially be a copy-and-paste operation.

In any case, how many posts do you think it'd take to use the same amount of space as the new, empty forum?

• exalted512
    edited October 2004
    just take out the custom fabrication thread...back in the old school days of the Polk forum, this was the only section we had
    its not like you cant move the custom fabrication threads here
    -Cody
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited October 2004
    that and there's RARELY anything posted in that thread....
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    You know, this whole "youre only 5 members" crap that I keep reading is starting to irritate me.

Yeah, we're only 5 members but most of us were here a good while ago when there were a lot more members and have stuck around as this forum has de-populated (is that a word?).

My God man, we're the diehard Polk loyalists and we keep getting this "well youre only 5 members so who cares what you think" attitude from the powers that be. You trying to run us off too?

...Ive been getting my feelings hurt a lot recently. I need a hug. :(
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • spwuinmk67
    spwuinmk67 Posts: 797
    edited October 2004
    As long as it's not another group hug...please.
    1993 Ford Ranger super cab:
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P880PRS
    MB Quart QSD216
    in need of amps and subs

Home:
    52" Sharp Aquos
    PolkAudio Monitor 10's
    Harmon Kardon HK3375
    Xbox 360
    PolkAudio XM tuner

Owner and co-designer of www.basicholdem.com
  • VR3
    VR3 Posts: 28,529
    edited October 2004
    DUDE! Whats mine say!?

Congrats on the Brahmas man...

And you are required to post pictures, lots of pictures, do not hold back...ok? ;)
    - Not Tom ::::::: Any system can play Diana Krall. Only the best can play Limp Bizkit.
  • swerve
    edited October 2004
    I can see it now.... "Next on Real-TV"

The 5 members that fought for their rights to end INTERNET DISCRIMINATION ON AN ONLINE CAR AUDIO FORUM!!!!!!

blah... i bet those ratings would suck

-adam
    cats.vans.bag...
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by Vr3MxStyler2k3
    DUDE! Whats mine say!?
    Sweet, what's mine say!?

and swerve - if something like survivor can last as long as it has, i'm sure we could get some pretty good ratings... for the first season at least... cause you can't really mix it up too much after that... what would it be, "End Internet Discrimination on an Online Car Audio Forum Season 2 - Out for Revenge"? "... Season 2 - Marooned in the Pacific"?

yeah, that's a good idea, though, to move the custom fabrication stuff over here and take out that forum, cause it gets boring seeing me as the last post there all the time... :)

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited October 2004
    Personally I like the custom fab forum, as it helps us divide the topics a bit. This thread is a little broad itself, but an off-topic room would help that.

Also, I work on servers, and have no idea why a single bit of code is going to use up Polk's server space... I mean come on... The code would be less than 1KB?!?!?! That's one thousandth of a megabyte?!?!?

Create it once, make us few happy, etc, it's not like copying the template is hard, just copy one, and rename it.. etc. This should take a good, oh, five minutes.

-Jerry

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    thank you, jerry, for providing some actual data :p... so, how about it, use only 1 KB of space, keep the 1KB used by the custom fab forum (good point, division of topics, but i wouldn't want any more than what we've got, there's not enough traffic)? eh, eh?

• LittleCar_w/12s
    edited October 2004
    Hopefully we can divide the off-topic stuff off a little, I admit it can be a bit confusing on some of our longer threads where we all get off topic a bit no matter what. I honestly think it would help. Over half of our 'voters' see it as a good idea, but that is only 9 people... and customer service isn't cheap anywhere, Polk can't be excluded.

We only ask this because the main off-topic forum is very populated, and most of the topics are irrelevant to what we do here. For instance, we talk about what kind of car someone is getting, whereas the home guys tend to discuss their homes, or the current movies, etc. Most of us here haven't even began to care about movies in our cars...

So hopefully it will come to a new room, both for the older members, and the newer and occasional ones who didn't even vote I'm sure. It will help us deliver that Polk-edge to the forum for those who ask our knowledge, and help us focus our off-topics elsewhere.

I beleive the poll-time is over, so now it's your ball Polk Guys. Whatcha think?

• -justin-
    -justin- Posts: 891
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    -Cody

Exactly.. closed.

~JB
This discussion has been closed.