tuners

danger boy
danger boy Posts: 15,722
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
which head units are known for having really good tuners in them?

here where I live. there are lots of mountains. and i need a tuner that is sensitive and selective.

How does Pioneer Supertuner III rank?

thanks
PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
Post edited by danger boy on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    Most aftermarket head units suck with tuners. I used to live in southwest VA, and once you hit the mountains on the interstate, good luck keeping a signal for more than a couple minutes. Its so bad that they have different frequencies for the same station every 20 or so miles. If 96.7 wasn't working on your way to Roanoke, hit 96.3 and hope you're close enough to get the signal.

You might want to drop the money for XM or Sirius instead.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    i concur on the satellite radio thing; unless you want or need a radio station specifically, make the plunge into satellite; yes, it'll cost more, but it is so totally worth it it's not even funny... sirius vs. xm depends upon what headunit you get... xm has partnered with the bigger/better names, so sirius kinda got screwed there... definately look into it...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • AustinKP
    AustinKP Posts: 861
    edited October 2004
    I've been VERY happy with my Alpine 9815 HU. It made a world of difference over my factory Ford HU.
    http://www.silverdragon.com/punkie/cybertusk/net.idiot.html - Read it, know it

Alpine 9815
    Polk MM6's in custom fiberglass door pods
    Ascendant Audio Atlas 12
    HiFonics Zeus ZX6400 - 85x2 + 350x1
    2 Gallons SecondSkin Spectrum V.2
  • Joelsbass
    Joelsbass Posts: 637
    edited October 2004
    pioneer is known for having one of the best tuners in the market, i've consistantly found pioneers to be louder and cleaner (less fuzzyness) than other HU's i've heard with regards to radio signal.
    MacLeod: I guess youre lucky Polk has such lax hiring standards.

Josh: Damn skippy!
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    if you don't wanna jump to satellite, check out crutchfield's selection. for nearly every HU they've got there's a tuner sensitivity spec, and it explains how to use it (i think it's lower=better, but check). that'll give you a good idea of what brands are better for this.

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    LittleCar_w/12s Posts: 568
    edited October 2004
    My older R.Fosgate unit works wonders. I could swear there's a Dennon under there somewhere...

I have heard that blaupunkt makes the best tuners, but that does not say anything else about the unit as a whole.
    -Jerry

p.s. edit: Though I have a perfectly tuned stainless whip for my radio antenna... well, that's relative given the FM band is so wide, but it was worth the time nipping and tuning it...

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2004
    i don't spend enough time in my car to get XM or Sirius radio... it would be very cool.. but not worth the cost for me.

thanks guys... i'll prob go with a Pioneer again for my Neon. I'm almost hesitant to try any other brand.. i'm familiar with the Pioneers and have never had any problems with em.

I was just curious if there was any HU with as good or better tuner than the Pioneers.

Follow up ?

I want to add an amp to power two fronts and two rears.. for pre outs.. how many do i need from the HU? do i need 2,3,4 pre outs? Please explain... which pre outs go to which amp. In home audio.. each pre out would go to one amp for each channel to power each speaker.
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited October 2004
    All you have to do is get one of those mobile Sat. tuners that have a base in your car and in the house. That makes it worth it. Almost worth not having the 40GB MP3 library... Only a few bucks a month, but the only thing I worry about is my taste in music. You know that the music industry releases about 100 songs a week? how many of those do you think you have the chance to hear? That's why I download, and that's why I am eventually spending the money for a full PC in my car. But from what I hear Siruis is better on that note than XM, as XM is more geared towards the 'dumb' buyers who just go with the comercials on TV....

For some things in life, you pay others to do it... For a masterpeice, do it yourself.
  • LittleCar_w/12s
    edited October 2004
    -Jerry

• neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    i've never heard that about xm, but hey, business is business, so it might be true; like audiobahn is geared towards the i-wanna-bumpin-system "teenie-bopper" (as mac refers to them) crowd.

danger boy - like jerry said, you could consider the mobile tuner that you can switch between car and home.

also, if you're going for sound quality, you don't want rears at all - all they do is muddy the sound. especially when amplified. as a thought, consider spending the money on that amp for an upgrade elsewhere, maybe up front, i dunno what you've got...

in any case, each preout goes to one set of amplification. so, if you were to amp only fronts, you would need only one set of preouts. bump it to two if you're going with subs. if you're amping the rears also, then you need three. however, you can do more interesting things with them. subwoofers always only need one, so that leaves one or two for the rest of your system. generally, you use one for the rest, but if you biamp, you could concievably use two - for example, my pioneer has a 3-way mode, wherein the low, mid, and high frequencies (the ranges being defined by you) are sent to the three sets of preouts, in order to recieve separate amplification.

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    XM is geared more for the older crowd whereas Sirius is more for the younger crowd
    I would rather have Sirius, my dad would probably rather have XM
    but i have a Pioneer hu, so i basically have to go with XM...
    either way, go Pioneer:D
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it