dharding Posts: 61
edited October 2004 in Vintage Speakers
deleted
Post edited by dharding on

Comments

• BlueMDPicker
    BlueMDPicker Posts: 7,569
    edited October 2004
    Uh-huh...very interesting. I now own the pair listed in item 2.

The original owner called Polk, before jumping into this forum, to get some information. He was told "we didn't make a Monitor 11." Well, obviously, they did ;)

Perhaps the difference between the models is the "Monitor 11 - RTA" has the PR with Peerless tweeters and the "Monitor Reference Series 11" has the SL 2000's and the fluid coupled sub and is not considered a "Real-Time Array"?

At any rate, both appear to be somewhat of a rarity/oddity.

Nice grab. I bet they sound great.

Mike
  • Emlyn
    Emlyn Posts: 4,346
    edited October 2004
    Nice purchase Dan. At first glance the Monitor 11s looked similar in proportion to me to SDA 2Bs as Polk transitioned from the 2A to 2B cabinet design. But, the Monitors are not quite as tall. My guess is that someone at Polk really liked the movie "This is Spinal Tap" and wanted to crank up the performance of Monitor 10s a little by creating a slightly larger floor standing Monitor 11 model for one year.

From the movie:
    Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
    Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
    Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
    Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
    Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
    Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
    Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
    Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
    Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
    Pause
  • audiobliss
    audiobliss Posts: 12,518
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by Emlyn
    From the movie:
    Nigel Tufnel: The numbers all go to eleven. Look, right across the board, eleven, eleven, eleven and...
    Marty DiBergi: Oh, I see. And most amps go up to ten?
    Nigel Tufnel: Exactly.
    Marty DiBergi: Does that mean it's louder? Is it any louder?
    Nigel Tufnel: Well, it's one louder, isn't it? It's not ten. You see, most blokes, you know, will be playing at ten. You're on ten here, all the way up, all the way up, all the way up, you're on ten on your guitar. Where can you go from there? Where?
    Marty DiBergi: I don't know.
    Nigel Tufnel: Nowhere. Exactly. What we do is, if we need that extra push over the cliff, you know what we do?
    Marty DiBergi: Put it up to eleven.
    Nigel Tufnel: Eleven. Exactly. One louder.
    Marty DiBergi: Why don't you just make ten louder and make ten be the top number and make that a little louder?
    Pause

Nigel Tufnel: But this has eleven.

I've never seen that movie, but I was playing "Scene It" at a friend's house Firday evening and saw a clip from it. Hilarious. Absolutely hilarious. Is that how the whole movie is?
    Jstas wrote: »
    Simple question. If you had a cool million bucks, what would you do with it?
    Wonder WTF happened to the rest of my money.
    In Use
    PS3, Yamaha CDR-HD1300, Plex, Amazon Fire TV Gen 2
    Pioneer Elite VSX-52, Parasound HCA-1000A
    Klipsch RF-82ii, RC-62ii, RS-42ii, RW-10d
    Epson 8700UB

In Storage
    [Home Audio]
    Rotel RCD-02, Yamaha KX-W900U, Sony ST-S500ES, Denon DP-7F
    Pro-Ject Phono Box MKII, Parasound P/HP-850, ASL Wave 20 monoblocks
    Klipsch RF-35, RB-51ii

[Car Audio]
    Pioneer Premier DEH-P860MP, Memphis 16-MCA3004, Boston Acoustic RC520