Real Timin' in Texas...

Options
Tour2ma
Tour2ma Posts: 10,177
edited October 2004 in Vintage Speakers
Were just deleivered this afternoon from Mississippi...

Hat on... (looks like a robot in a bad Japanese space monster movie I saw once..)
More later,
Tour...
Vox Copuli
Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"Death doesn't come with a Uhaul." - Dennis Gardner

"It's easy to get lost in price vs performance vs ego vs illusion." - doro
"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
Post edited by Tour2ma on

Comments

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    ... and hat off...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli
    Better to remain silent and be thought a fool, than to open your mouth and remove all doubt. - Old English Proverb

"There is a certain entertainment value in ripping the occaisonal (sic) buttmunch..." - TroyD
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    ...and the seller said they came with these funky little, solid core speaker wires... clear sheathing over intertwined, multicolor strands... :D
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    ... and as long as he was getting rid of his speakers...
    Onk A-7 integrated and T-9 tuna with an old Akia cassette lower level in back... The Akia is the heaviest cassette deck I've ever lugged around... As beefy as many R2R's...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    And last his Realistic Lab 400 DD TT... heavy little buggar. In the box the TT's sitting on is a Pioneer graphic EQ (SG-9500)...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• okiepolkie
    okiepolkie Posts: 2,258
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Nice. How do they sound?

Forgive my ignorance, but what speakers do you have next to the SDA's?
    Tschüss
    Zach
  • Airplay355
    Airplay355 Posts: 4,298
    edited October 2004
    Options
    uh o, we have an addict lol
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Spent a couple hours with in more of a checkout the function mode, but formed some early impressions. In a word, they're nice, but only on some material.

First tune I spun was "Knights in White Satan" by The Moody Blues. My first reaction was to throw them in the truck and chase down the former owner and get my money back. Bass was boomy and highs were shrill. But they sounded better on the next track and showed some promise. By the end of the third cut I was heading for the "music room" to pull some better candidates and hit a little gold with some Neil Young and James Taylor.

The 12b's have a wonderful mid-range quality. Mellow is the word that comes to mind. It seems they will deliver both decent, clean bass and highs, but only if there is not too much complexity down there/ up there.

Alot more playing to do at a later date, but based upon the early returns I think these will earn a place in the line-up. I'm eager to side-by-side them with my Mon 10's.

One other note for potential owners, these are very inefficient speakers. Haven't found a spec so far, but they are at least 3 dB down from my SRS's, which don't set any records in the efficiency area themselves.
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    Originally posted by okiepolkie
    Forgive my ignorance, but what speakers do you have next to the SDA's?
    In the right channel (Hat off) pic:
    - to the left of the SRS is the Magnepan 1.5; and
    - to the right of the SRS is a Carver Amazing (Original).

The Maggies are the best imaging speaker I have ever heard (with the exception of the Maggie 1.6), but they are light in the bass department. Perfect for acoustic jazz, light classical and such; they are not a rock speaker.

I have yet to hear one speaker that can do everything at a level of "great". That said, the CA's come the closest. They are the best full symphony orchestra speaker I have heard. They alternate as my #1 Rock speaker with the SRS's (phase of the moon or something, I guess). And they do a very, very good job at the lighter stuff, but that's the Maggies' turf...
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli

• danger boy
    danger boy Posts: 15,722
    edited October 2004
    Options
    did you clean the guy out or what? ;)

nice looking pair of speakers to add to your already impressive collection.

good going my man !!
    PolkFest 2012, who's going>?
    Vancouver, Canada Sept 30th, 2012 - Madonna concert :cheesygrin:
  • Tour2ma
    edited October 2004
    Options
    gracias...

Old Polkies never die, they just sell off their gear...

He and the wife are fixin' to retire and they downsized their house, so the gear had to go.. Nice guy, too.

I asked him he wanted to hear the SRS's and he declined saying, "I think that would only make me sadder than I am."
    More later,
    Tour...
    Vox Copuli