Polk 500.1 Monoblock Amp

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
I just had two amps installed into my car, and they ran both of my amps of a power cap. It was working fine and then suddenly the bass amp cut out. It keeps turning on and off. If I have the sound barely on, then the amp stays on. I've checked all the wiring and fuses, but don't see anything wrong with them. The 4-channel amp still works fine.
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• bknauss
    bknauss Posts: 1,441
    edited October 2004
    Exactly how is the cap hooked up to the amps? If you've got two power wires coming off the cap, there's a possibility you're getting a large drop in voltage during bass hits.
    Brian Knauss
    ex-Electrical Engineer for Polk
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    that's kinda the point of the cap though... just out of curiosity, why's the fourchannel hooked to the cap? highs really don't need one, the caps in the amp are big enough... so to get to the point, did you try skipping the cap in the powerline to the sub amp? if so, and it still doesn't work, sounds like a wiring problem, though you insisted you checked it... since you describe it as staying on with very low volume, i'd say you're arcing from the speaker wire to ground, causing the low-impedance protection circuit to kick in. check your speaker wire, and if possible, or if you're not totally completely utterly positive that this isn't it, replace it... it's just speaker wire, it's not that expensive, and it could save your amp... if you didn't bypass the cap, try that and see how it works...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    Unless youre driving a Ford Aspire with a 25 amp alternator or running 4000 watts, you dont need a cap.

Try bypassing the cap and if everything works fine, take it back and get a refund.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    from the behavior of the amps that was described, i'm almost positive that the cap is fine - namely due to the fact that the 4 channel that's off of it still works fine. i think it's speaker wire shorting to the chassis, because those were exactly the symptoms i had when this happened to me.

on the cap - since you've got it, i rec that you keep it; once you've gotten your amps set up properly, try it with and without (maximum volume - this is when a cap helps)...

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • Grimster74
    Grimster74 Posts: 2,570
    edited October 2004
    If you had them installed by a professional, why not take it back to them. Their installation should have been covered by a warranty. Just my thought.
    Money Talks, Mine says Goodbye Rob!!!!
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    excellent point - at this point we're just waiting... i hate waiting...

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by neomagus00
    excellent point - at this point we're just waiting... i hate waiting...
    wow...i thought i didnt have a life...;)
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • neomagus00
    edited October 2004
    Originally posted by exalted512
    wow...i thought i didnt have a life...;)
    -Cody
    you're safe, you still don't :D... i just have a constant highspeed wireless connection all over campus, and as i'm on the laptop constantly, and as i get bored in class often, i end up here a lot :p