center speaker

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
what is a good brand/model for a 3"-4" mid range speaker. i will be using it as a center speaker for a 5.1 setup. i am using the avm-p9000r for the 6 channel audio, so 50w rms should be sufficient. rms should be around 45w.

I am confused on a good choice and few have commented with success.

so far i was reccommended this:
http://www.creativesound.ca/details.php?model=WR125S

I was thinking of going JL Audio though since I already have an amp/sub from them. Two inparticular I noticed were:

XR400-CM 4-Inch Component Midrange
http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/XR400CM.html#

XR400-CX 4-Inch Coaxials
http://www.jlaudio.com/evolution/XR400CX.html

Also, which is better for center speaker? component midrange or coaxial?

one thing i noted was they didnt list any specs for the component midrange. why is that?

Does JL Audio make good 4" speakers? If you have any other suggestions for a 4" center speaker please let me know.

thanks
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • Systems
    edited October 2004
    the website doesnt really answer my question. considering its another place where many speakers are located, and im asking for help to choose a 4" speaker.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • exalted512
    edited October 2004
    well if youd go to car stereo, then choose 4" speakers it will give you a list of different speakers in different price ranges, since you didnt list a price range, i thought that would be your best bet, if you have more money to spend it would be nice to let us know, then we can go from there
    -Cody
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    JL Audio makes excellent everything. Their speakers tend to be more midbass oriented so they would probably make a good center channel. I say go for it.

Also I would go with a coaxial if you can make it fit. The extra highs, although off axis, would probably help center things up. However Im not a 5.1 kind of guy so you may want to cruise on over to the HT side of the forum and ask those guys if tweeters are a good idea for center channels.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • Systems
    edited October 2004
    thanks for the help guys. im looking to spend 50-100$.
    Testing
    Testing
    Testing
  • xfsrg
    xfsrg Posts: 4
    edited October 2004
    i tried to edit my last post but it wont let me since i was under guest. anyways...

exalted,
    i did take a look around in the 4" range but the problem is i do not really know what makes a good center speaker - so im basically up the creek without a paddle. thanks for the site though.

the jl audio are around 80-90 if i rememer correctly, so something ccomparable to that would be nice - if the recommended choice is thought to be better.

however, i would like to possibly match up the rest of the speaker at a later time once i get more money; since, at the moment, i have the stock inifinity gold speaker in the my doors. so if at all possible a brand that also makes good component systems. thanks again
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    just generally speaking, cause i don't run a 5.1 setup, you do want tweets in the middle, it should really help clarify the voices there... truly, any decent midrange should do you well (decent here being in your price range and from a name-brand company other than infinity - their tweets are way bright for this kinda thing, i'd think)... the center channel gets far less power than the stereos, and probably a bit less than the rears (which should be pretty low-power in any case)... thus, the center channel is more to center the stage and image than to provide more sound... go with what you like...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    If youre wanting to match speakers then I second my recommendation of the JL's. Their component speakers are amoung the best on the marke. If you wanted to continue the JL Audio XR theme youd have one hell of a system.

Id also stay away from Infinity. Ive owned them and think they are way too bright and thin sounding for any kind of music with heavy guitar. Acoustic music sounds good but thats about it.
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • exalted512
    edited October 2004
    id go with the ones from the creativesound website, if its using XBL^2 technology id be willing to bet its the best of the ones you listed
    -Cody
  • xfsrg
    edited October 2004
    would it be better to go with what speaker is most likely better, or match up the model/series for the whole system?

also, the XBL^2 is an 8ohm speaker. how would that effect the system over the JL Audio 4" coaxial?
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    An 8 ohm speaker would be getting half the power of a 4 ohm.

Pick the best speaker rather than going with a matching set. That being said, Im not a big fan of mixing brands. However if you were to go that route Id say go with the JL center then Polk MMC6500's in front and MMC650's in rear.

• xfsrg
    edited October 2004
    just a thought... if i could mod where i place the speaker to fit a 4"x6" would you say that is better? (which im sure i could if i felt like putting the energy into it). like for instance, a polk audio, MMC460 4x6" 2-way plate or the 4x6" db460. which would you prefer Polk Audio or JL Audio? dont be bias just b/c this is an polk audio forum please. since i do not like the idea of mixing brands either - the thought came to me when the polk components were recommended for the doors.

also, would the polk MMC460 or db460 be a good center speaker? or just stick with the JL 4" component?

also, which is better the MMC460 or db460? also, would the 4" jl audio be better than the 4x6" polk?

jl audio doesnt have a 4x6" its just a 4" with 4x6 adapters. so let me know what you think.

im pretty sure i can fit them if i put the time into the spot.

thanks for all the help guys
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    between a 4x6 plate that's got a midrange and a tweet (like polk's) and a 4" coax, the plate will get better response and clarity at all volume levels (assuming all else is equal). this is a good thing for centers; however, a 4x6 coax will get slightly more bass... this coiuld be important, depending upon your setup... generally it's no big deal for the center; if you are going to go with the 4x6 idea i'd rec polk's plate... however, i don't think that this is necessary for your application, i think that a good 4" coaxial is plenty for what you're looking for; if you want to stick with one brand (a good idea if you're not willing to deal with potential character/balance issues that could arise with mixing brands) then go polk... otherwise, i say just do the easy thing and go with the 4" coax... lastly, any polk product branded with momo is better than those without (i.e. anything that starts with mm is better than db, but db is a great speaker for the money, i hear).
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs
  • MacLeod
    edited October 2004
    The Momo line is Polks top shelf goods (for now until the REAL top of the line comes out :D {salivates}) and the DB is their entry level stuff.

As far as which do I like best, Polk Audio whips the lower JL speakers (TR and VR) and are just as good as the $400 XR's. The only advantage the XR has over the MM6 or MMC6500 is a good bit more midbass. However, I feel the biggest strength of the Momo line is the detail. These are some of the most detailed speakers on the market at any price. Just go to a Tweeter and try the MMC up against $1000 Bostons, $600 and $1300 MB Quarts and the $400 XR. All are excellent speakers but they arent that much better than the Polk at half the price!!!

Here is my position on Polk/Momo. Its the best stuff you can buy for under $300 and about the only speakers Id take over the MM would be the $360 Diamond Audio M6, $400 Focal Polyglass and maybe the JL XR. After that you get into the $500+ league which isnt a fair comparison.