Box Size Requirements

Systems
Systems Posts: 14,873
edited October 2004 in Car Audio & Electronics
Guys, what would happen if I build a box that is significantly larger than the required volume, say, by 50% or more, assuming that the sub manual only gives a minimum volume?
Testing
Testing
Testing
Post edited by Unknown User on

Comments

• exalted512
    exalted512 Posts: 10,735
    edited October 2004
    the bass wouldnt be as tight and the power handling of the sub would decrease
    -Cody
    Music is like candy, you have to get rid of the rappers to enjoy it
  • MacLeod
    MacLeod Posts: 14,358
    edited October 2004
    not to mention losing output.

Stick to the recommended enclosure size. The manufacturer know what size box that sub will work best in.
    polkaudio sound quality competitor since 2005
    MECA SQ Rookie of the Year 06 ~ MECA State Champ 06,07,08,11 ~ MECA World Finals 2nd place 06,07,08,09
    08 Car Audio Nationals 1st ~ 07 N Georgia Nationals 1st ~ 06 Carl Casper Nationals 1st ~ USACi 05 Southeast AutumnFest 1st

polkaudio SR6500 --- polkaudio MM1040 x2 -- Pioneer P99 -- Rockford Fosgate P1000X5D
  • neomagus00
    neomagus00 Posts: 3,899
    edited October 2004
    to a certain point, a larger box will allow the sub to reach lower frequencies, at the expense of sheer volume. it will also require less power to get the sub to that maximum volume. sometimes there can be a difference in tightness, but as long as you don't overdo it (stay under twice the rec'd minimum), i'd say give it a shot, see how you like it, you can always build a box to spec

btw, the comment about the 'powerhandling' of the sub is slightly misleading... it's all about xmax...

and mac's right, the manufacturer tends to know what's best for their sub, but your situation could be unusual...
    It's not good, very fundamentally simply not good. - geolemon

"Its not good enough until we have real-time fearmongering. I want my fear mongered as it happens." - Shizelbs